We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Holiday in Malibu

Europe
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Summer Holiday in Malibu

Hello

We are couple wanting to spend summer holiday in Los Angeles this year (late AUG)

We’ve never been to Los Angeles so have no much idea.

Our plan is to spend 10 days in LA area.

We don’t want some active vacation.

We would hire a car and drive to Las Vegas, spend night there and go back to LA.

Then to spend 2 days in LA somewhere to be able to se tourist things …

And than rest of the days we would like to spend at the beach.

I researched a little bit and I learned that Malibu beaches are less crowded that LA ones.

Should we spend rest of the time in Malibu? I see there is no many hotels but many people renting houses or apartments privately.

Is it better for “the beach days” be in Malibu or Santa Monica? Or somewhere else?

I really like the scenery of PCH so really like to be somewhere like that :)

Thank you.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,344 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Holiday in Malibu

Malibu is secluded - and extremely expensive. Were you planning to spend $20,000/week for a private rental?

What is your budget per night for a hotel? Santa Monica is a great base for visiting LA, if you want to be at the beach and will have a car. Hotels there are also expensive, the lowest end starting at about $250/night in the summer.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Holiday in Malibu

Santa Monica is an "urban beach" with all that goes along with it, as is Venice. The advantage is that it is closer to get to the typical touristy sights such as Beverly Hills and Hollywood.

Manhattan Beach or Hermosa have a few hotels, it's a nicer beach.

I probably wouldn't do Malibu, if you want to sightsee vs. just hanging out at the beach.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Holiday in Malibu

If you want to just spend some days at the beach in a relatively quiet area and not do any sight seeing at that time, you may even want to head north of Malibu to the Ventura / Oxnard or even the Santa Barbara areas. As mentioned, the issue in Malibu will be lack of hotels and expensive hotels / private rentals. Or you could go south of LA, depending on how far you're willing to drive and budget - Dana Point, San Clemente or Laguna Beach might work for you.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,330 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Holiday in Malibu

By European standards, most LA-area beaches are not very crowded. There are no rows of rental beach chairs lined up one next to the other, and the sandy beach goes on for miles and miles and miles. Pretty much the whole coastline, basically. So there are many beach communities to choose from.

Malibu is out of the way and unless you are the wealthy owner of a beach-front mansion, a lot of Malibu less glamorous than you might imagine. There is a major highway right along the ocean. It is miles from most things you might want to see, without feeling exactly secluded (due to the above mentioned highway and the houses packed shoulder to shoulder). If you decide to rent there, do check the property out carefully for location, including looking at it on Google Maps.

Edited: 8:06 pm, April 15, 2013
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer Holiday in Malibu

Check out the Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach, a few miles south of LAX. They have free parkinig, lend bikes to ride on the 22 mile bike path to Santa Monica north or Redondo to the south, beach chairs and towels. Located just up from the beach, there are different types of rooms to choose from. Some have kitchens and fireplaces, penthouse suites, and balconies to watch the sunset.

http://www.theseaviewinn.com/index.htm

View of town:

www.youtube.com/watch…

Europe
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer Holiday in Malibu

Thank you all for your replays.

I wasn’t thinking of renting a big house :) I found that you can rent a small studio or bungalow for 1500 USD per week in Malibu.

That would be very acceptable.

What about staying in the hotel around Bel-Air, and Beverly Hills? I don’t mind driving to the beach every day. I just don’t want to be surrounded by a lot of tourist. So I wouldn’t mind even driving to Malibu or some other beach …

What about the safety in Malibu, St. Monica etc?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer Holiday in Malibu

Malibu is quite safe. In Santa Monica, around the 3rd St. Promenade area and further inland you'll find a lot of homeless people, which can cause one to feel a little bit uncomfortable but ultimately they're basically harmless. I don't really see them much by the beach / pier.

If you want to not be around other tourists, a private rental is a better approach. Hotels, especially the larger ones, will naturally be filled with tourists. The upscale hotels in Beverly Hills etc. are all very nice, and the area isn't really all that far from the beach in Santa Monica. I would look, however, more at Westwood, which is closer to the beach than Beverly Hills - look at the Kimpton Palomar or the "W" in Westwood if it fits your budget. The advantage of Westwood is its filled with students and staff from the adjacent UCLA university, plus a lot of lawyers and other professionals + office workers who work in the high rises along Wilshire Blvd. Its not so much a big touristy area. So even though you might find tourists in your hotel, step outside and you'll be surrounded by 95%+ locals.

Europe
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer Holiday in Malibu

Thank you, MachThree.

9. Re: Summer Holiday in Malibu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Malibu