We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malibu from Santa Monica

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Malibu from Santa Monica

I know having a car would be a far more senisble way of getting around but I've decided it best to spare the nice people of California of my driving!! Especially seen as you drive on the wrong side of the road (for me!!)

I've read the various forums and came across details of the 534 bus that travels from Santa Monica to Malibu. I was just wondering how useful it is - for example does the bus stop anywhere near the beaches or would there be a trek from the bus stop to the beach. Is there a centre to Malibu like the main street of Santa Monica.

Any info would be gratefully received!

D

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
618 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malibu from Santa Monica

I haven't rode the 534 in over 8 years. However, it use to start on Fairfax/Washington street intersection by Culver City, and drive through the heart of Santa Monica before decending onto PCH and arriving to Malibu in about 50 minutes. Along the last half of the trip, you are driving directly along the water so the beach would be less than 100 feet from any of the bus stops. Especially along Will Rogers State beach. However, make sure to check out the MTA site for updates on this particular route as my personal experience is dated.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,241 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malibu from Santa Monica

Just go on www.metro.net and check on there timetables as the bus(which rides all along pacific coast highway, so you will be right on the beach when exiting the bus) only runs sporadically. So it would be adviced to have a schedule in hand for you to know when it will arrive and/or come to pick you up

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malibu from Santa Monica

Thanks for that - I have the timetable printed up and ready to go.

D

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
228 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malibu from Santa Monica

I'll just piggyback on this topic... I notice the MTA website gives you a choice between 'Malibu Pier' and 'Malibu Village' stops on the 534.

Whaddya think - get off at one and walk to the other? Is the Village the shopping area? Or for a daytripper like myself, just concentrate on the area around the Pier...?

Thanks guys!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,241 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malibu from Santa Monica

I think you have the wrong "idea" what Malibu is.

Basically there is no "city center" that you would find in places like Santa Barbara, Santa Monica or Laguna Beach. The village in Malibu is just that, a little area with shops and a place to eat. Same goes with the pier, nice restaurant and that's about it.

If you have the schedule for the bus, it is a very convinient way to check it out but unless you want to sunbath along one of the beaches, dont make it a daytrip. It is a place people are living in and go to rehab, crash there cars and call it a day

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malibu from Santa Monica

You could get off at the Pier and after seeing that, and the famous Surfrider Beach, walk over to the Country Mart, which is where the shops and cafes are. It's a 4 minute walk. Be sure to stop in the Adamson House on the walk.

I actually think it's a great day trip, but you really do need a car.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,241 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malibu from Santa Monica

The bus is really as fast as a car, as long as you have a schedule, it would make no difference

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malibu from Santa Monica

A car is better (although a bus will get you there) because it's fun to stop along the way at, say, Duke's or Moonshadows for a drink, or even to continue up the coast past the commercial area for the spectacular views and pristine beaches - as far up as Zuma.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,241 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malibu from Santa Monica

Of course a car is always more convinient but it is not like there are stops on the way on the bus route, so you can check the places above mentioned aswell

los angeles
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Malibu from Santa Monica

I know its a little late for this reply to help DATK but the Metro bus from Ocean and Santa Monica(534) runs every 20 minutes. It only takes 17 minutes to get from there to Topanga and PCH.That is the start of Malibu. It takes at least ten minutes in a car- so its really surprisingly convenient.

There are a few different Santa Monica busses to get you to the Metro.

I thought the busses would be hell, but they aren't at all.

Call the info line and they really are helpful.