We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

primitive camping at montana de oro

Which Los Osos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
primitive camping at montana de oro

Hi and thanks for reading.

I'll be going on my first trip to the Central Coast later this month. I've been researching it and like Montana de Oro for its isolation and supposed beauty. However, I want to primitive camping (I hate campgrounds). Apparently you can do this, but I can't find any maps showing exactly where the sites are, and I assume that there are designated sites along the trails.

Any insight on this? Maybe just a link to a good park map showing the sites (parks.ca.gov has nothing).

TiA,

Colin

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: primitive camping at montana de oro

You might have found these sites, but from the State Parks site they do link to the Coastal Records Project which has pictures of the entire California coastline. Here is the picture of Spooner's Cove:

californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi…

This site from the Central Coast Tourist has a map to the primitive campgrounds:

centralcoasttourist.com/Parks_n_Recreation/S…

Montana de Oro appears to have two types of campgrounds - primitive and walk-in environmental. It appears to me that primitive means grouped campsites with outhouses. and these are east of Spooner's Cove. I don't know what you don't like about campgrounds, but I think the walk-in environmental campground will provide more isolation. but I couldn't find where those were.

Here is a topo of Montana de Oro:

pickatrail.com/sun/…map.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: primitive camping at montana de oro

I believe the map the previous poster links to is just the regular family campground, not a primitive campground. The parks website says MdeO has both family camping and environmental campsites. In my experience "environmental" sites are sites which are a short walk from where you park your car, less than half a mile usually, close enough so that you can walk back when you run out of firewood or beer. They may be isolated single sites, or they may even be old car campgrounds that have been converted to environmental sites by having everyone park near the entrance and walk to their site. What colinaz wants is a "backcountry" campsite. These, in CA state parks, are usually small campgrounds along the trail, that might hold up to a dozen sites, so you will still have neighbors, but not slamming car doors or generators or (hopefully not) boomboxes.

san clemente
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: primitive camping at montana de oro

Hi; Did you ever get to Montana De Oro? What did you think and where was your camp? Was camping there last week end for 3rd time. Very mellow. Ran up to Los Osos for a Starbucks each morning. And they call that "primitive".

Harry and Son

4. Re: primitive camping at montana de oro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Los Osos
Recent Conversations
More Los Osos Topics