We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX - Searching for somewhere "close" to go sightseeing

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
LAX - Searching for somewhere "close" to go sightseeing

Hallo everybody,

I´m planning my first trip to the US ever.

On our first night we´ll stay in a hotel close to LAX. Since we don´t have much time for sightseeing we´d like to start immediately after arrival. I have some problems with the distances (everything seems so far away). Can someone of you recommend sights in the area near LAX (max. 30-45min with public transport)?

Thanks a lot,

Sandburg

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: LAX - Searching for somewhere "close" to go sightseeing

Hello Sandburg,

Manhattan Beach is a very nice area, with a lively main street filled with shops and casual restaurants, a lovely beach and a pier to walk on. The reason I didn't suggest it is that I am not familiar with the public transportation options to get there. However, it is only about 5 miles from LAX to Manhattan Beach, so unless you really trying to save money, I would just take a taxi from your LAX-area hotel to Manhattan Beach. (Of course, your hotel may be a mile or more from the airport). Have the taxi take you to the intersection of Manhattan Beach Blvd. and Highland Avenue. Find a restaurant you like, and after dinner, have them call a taxi for you. (You have to call for taxis in LA for the most part; they don't drive around looking for passengers.)

You haven't said what time, day, or season your are going to be in LA. It may be quiet in Manhattan Beach on a weekday after dark.

There will be restaurants open, but perhaps not much else to do. Manhattan beach is very nice and scenic, but not as major a tourist destination as Santa Monica.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: LAX - Searching for somewhere "close" to go sightseeing

Manhattan Beach is one of my favorite places in Los Angeles... we love to go to the beach there. It would be a great, low-key place to enjoy an afternoon and evening in Los Angeles after getting off an airplane. You can enjoy the beach, shopping and many restaurants in just a short walk. For a fun and relaxing afternoon and evening after getting off a plane, this would be my first choice.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: LAX - Searching for somewhere "close" to go sightseeing

I agree with pasca. I love Manhattan Beach. I only work 5 minutes from there, and on a beautiful day like today, it's so hard to go there for lunch and have to come back to work. It's not as touristy as Santa Monica and it's very laid back. It's Clean also. If you can, you might want to stay at one of the hotels in Manhattna Beach for your first few nights arriving here in LA or your last few nights before heading home as it's very close to LAX. One of the popular hotels on here in Manhattan Beach is the Sea View Inn . For the rest of your stay, if you won't be having a car, it's best if you can stay around the West side for public transportation(like Santa Monica or Hollywood).

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: LAX - Searching for somewhere "close" to go sightseeing

Yes, Big Blue Bus is a separate bus company, their website (www.bigbluebus.com) does not indicate that they accept metro (MTA) day pass, so I do not think they do. They do issue and accept transfers to Metro, but probably do not accept metro passes. Big Blu Bus fares are fairly reasonable however.

While Manhattan Beach is very nice, I would recommend Santa Monica (via Big Blue Bus) as more interesting to tourists (Pier, 3rd Street, Palisades Park, etc.)

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: LAX - Searching for somewhere "close" to go sightseeing

Hallo everybody,

thanks so much for your advice.

I had another look at our timetable and we have two evenings (and 1 1/2 days) to spend in Los Angeles. So we can spend one evening in Santa Monica or Marina del Ray or Manhattan Beach.

Our "problem" is the first evening (it´s a thursday) because we´re absolute newcomers in the US. On the second evening we´re back from our guided tour and hopefully not that scared/ overwhelmed anymore. :-)

Can someone tell me how much is a taxi from LAX to Manhattan Beach?

Thank you so much,

Sandburg

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: LAX - Searching for somewhere "close" to go sightseeing

If you're staying in an LAX hotel, there's an Ocean Express bus that's free that takes you directly to the Manhattan Beach Pier. You can take it there and if you stay longer you can take a taxi back home. There's no taxis there, so you should get a phone number for a taxi company. Not sure how much it cost, but it should take about 10 min drive, more or less, to get to MB Pier, the fare shouldn't be too much.

http://www.gatewaytola.org/pdf/oceanexpress.pdf#search='ocean%20express%20shuttle'

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: LAX - Searching for somewhere "close" to go sightseeing

Thank you so much.

The link with the Ocean Express is a great help. We´ll definitely visit Manhattan Beach on our first evening.

18. Re: LAX - Searching for somewhere "close" to go sightseeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 18, 2009