We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic - experienced fliers question - please help.

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic - experienced fliers question - please help.

Hey all,

This is regarding our flights to Vegas in 2 weeks. I am also driving to LA and people have been VERY helpful on this forum - coupled with the fact that Virgin fly to LA and alot of experienced travellers live in LA I thought I would ask this question here. I would be VERY grateful for your help and advice.......................

Here is the deal.........seating on plane is the 3-4-3 config.......outbound flight is cool, all sitting together and we WONT sleep (plus I like to be near front for immig.).

However - inbound is the usual dreaded night flight and we are all together in H,J,K. towards front of economy.

Question is............there are lots of rows of seats free in back cabin (rows 49-65) which are untaken - whole rows, at least 18 of them in left, middle and right of plane. There are 3 of us - what if I put each person is separate row hoping to get 3 seats each??? This happened to me on way back from Orlando before XMas and it was awesome. Example - me 60J, Wife 59J, Friend 58J....................

If I do this, should I put each person in the 'aisle' seat or 'middle seat' - I guess what I want to do is pick the seat which would discourage others from sitting there, lol - so would middle seat be best as lots of couples, etc wouldnt want to sit separately?????

Sorry for long winded post................there are alot of experienced flyers in this forum so I thought I could tap your knowledge base.

Thanks gang

Nick

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic - experienced fliers question - please help.

First off, is it a 747 or a 777? If it's a 777, regardless of what ends up happening, you should be fairly comfortable.

(ex. I fly American regularly which uses the 2-5-2 seating, I've been stuck in the dreaded middle of the 5 and whilst not my best flying experience, I arrived in London having had a pleasant little nap and without a cramp)

That said, if you attempt the lone-row strategy again, DEFINATELY, book the aisle seats.... if you book the center seats, people will see the open aisle seats and snatch them up but if you book the aisles, people are less likely to grab the available center seats. I would actually go a step further and book the aisle seats on each side of the empty center seat so that if all else fails, you can share the row with someone you know and have an empty center seat between the two of you.

I don't know when your flight is but don't be too confident that those entire rows will stay open until your flight. often times the airline will hold huge chunks of seats until the last minute and sell them at a deep discount to fill the plane.

Also, check out http://www.seatguru.com. That site has served me well. Enjoy your trip.

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic - experienced fliers question - please help.

Rob,

Great post, thanks.

I normally fly only with AA and am a miles member.............however - with Virgin offering the only non stop to Vegas I had no choice.

Its a 747 so 3,4,3.........

You think booking the aisle would be best then yeh?

I have booked the middle seat but I could always change it I guess - i thought by booking middle it would put people off, ie - couples who wish to sit next to each other - isnt that a factor??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic - experienced fliers question - please help.

I see your logic too... and perhaps with a Vegas flight you might be right. With London to Los Angeles, there are typically a lot of business people flying alone, so booking a center seat doesn't deter them from grabbing the aisle, but Vegas tends to be more leisure-oriented travelers in pairs or groups. Still, to err on the side of caution, I'd grab the aisle seats so that, worst case scenario, you at least have an aisle seat and aren't stuck in the center.

If you do the Vegas trip again in the future, check out MaxJet airways. They offer non-stop service from Stansted to Vegas and it's all Business Class seating for about the same price as coach on any other carrier (perhaps a bit more). I haven't flown Virgin myself and have heard great things about Upper Class, but don't know anything about their coach so I'd love to hear how your experience is. American has served me well to the UK in the past. I hate BA though because of their weird oneworld relationship with American where I can't earn mileage transatlantic. I flew them to Dubai from Heathrow and wasn't all that impressed with their coach either.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic - experienced fliers question - please help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 25, 2009