We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation and shopping

australia
8 posts
accommodation and shopping

Hi I will be in Los Angeles for 2 days and 2 nights early December. I would rather not hire a car as I do not feel comfortable driving. I would like to stay 4 - 5 star hotel that has been either refurbished new. I am looking forward to spending 2 days shopping and 2 nights at quality restaurants. I am a lady travelling alone and would prefer to be able to walk between the shops, department stores during the day. I would like upmarket shopping. Last time I was in LA I found it very difficult to get taxis.

In the evenings I am happy to use the hotel car or book transfers. Budget is not a huge concern.

Any help and ideas with a walking map of shopping areas would be fabulous.

I love Italian food and trendy buzzy restaurants.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,795 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: accommodation and shopping

Look in Santa Monica, hotels like The Fairmont, Loews, Le Merigot. All are close to major shopping, restaurants, and all that you list. Taxis are plentiful, but not needed if staying in downtown Santa Monica.

Another option is to stay at the Sofitel, in West Hollywood. You are close to a mall there, also lots of restaurants within walking distance.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
7,072 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: accommodation and shopping

This is not the city to shop in without a car. Because we don't have any concentration of giant flagship stores like SF's Union Square (for several complex historical reasons), shopping in LA is all about hopping between malls with medium-sized stores---Santa Monica Place, Westside Pavilion, Century City, Beverly Center, Fashion Square, the Grove, etc.

You should stay either in Santa Monica, Hollywood, or near the Grove and use taxis or public transport to get around.

Keep in mind that real shoppers in SoCal don't shop in LA, they drive down to South Coast Plaza, which is one of the largest and highest grossing malls in the world ($1.7 billion in sales per year). One could easily spend two days just trying to see all of that place!

Edited: 11:18 am, November 17, 2015
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,680 posts
262 reviews
3. Re: accommodation and shopping

<real shoppers in SoCal don't shop in LA, they drive down to South Coast Plaza> Not as true as one might think!

Central LA, the area bounded by The Grove and the Beverly Center puts you in a great area for shopping and dining. But I agree with Elle, Santa Monica's downtown area will suit you really nicely in terms of hotels, shopping, dining, and safety. It's a nice, compact area, too, so shorter (cheaper) cab rides.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,619 posts
64 reviews
4. Re: accommodation and shopping

Either Santa Monica or the area around the Beverly Center Mall (what others have referred to as 'central L.A.' will work nicely for you.

A correction to the above: The Sofitel is not in the city of West Hollywood; it's in the Central L.A. district of the city of L.A.

As far as 5-star hotels are concerned, our metro area has just a few of these which I'll mention below but they don't tend to be in areas that are convenient to shopping and dining on foot:

1. The Hotel Bel-Air is a gorgeous, cloistered property in a hillside location, away from the noise and chaos that is L.A. but it's not conveniently located as far as shopping and dining.

2. Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills -- this hotel is positioned between Beverly HIlls (to the immediate west) and Central L.A. (to the immediate east). As such, there is shopping and dining in both of these adjacent areas -- a taxi ride of 5 minutes or less. In the immediate area around the hotel, there are some dining options but, to me, you can do a lot better.

3. The Ritz-Carlton Los Angeles is a newer property in the "L.A. LIve" district of downtown L.A. There are some dining options nearby (but nothing terribly trendy) and the shopping in downtown is disappointing.

4. Mr. C Beverly Hills is on the edge of Beverly HIlls within a 5 minute taxi ride of box city centre Beverly Hills (shopping and dining as well as Century City (5 minutes away) which also has shopping and dining within the Westfield Mall there and nearby. Around the hotel, there are some dining options as well. This hotel has had excellent rating since it opened (4 or 5 years ago, as I recall) and, for s 5-star, it's priced very well.

5. SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills -- technically, the only part of the hotel that is in Beverly HIlls is the driveway! It's really located at the edge of the Central L.A. about a 5-miinute walk to major shopping and dining in and around the Beverly Centre Mall. The hotel is upmarket and a bit trendy with trendy dining to match. This would be the best compromise as far as quality and location.

and finally, these last two, in the beach city of Santa Monica:

6. Casa del Mar -- you can't do better as far as 5-star accommodations in Santa Monica. The hotel is literally on the beach. Shopping and dining in Santa Monica is excellent and it's a short walk to these from the hotel.

7. Shutters on the Beach -- a little bit further away from shopping and dining and not as well-reviewed.

Bottom line: of the 5-stars, your only 2 real choices are

a. The SLS in Central L.A. -- the shopping and dining are just north of the hotel in and around the intersection of 3rd Street and La Cienega Bl. Here's a map from the hotel to this intersection (note: the MASSIVE Beverly Center (upscale) mall is on the northwest corner of this intersection: http://mapq.st/2101Dxf

(Here is the website for the Beverly Center Mall: http://www.beverlycenter.com/shopping -- over 125 shops and restaurants). In addition to this mall, there are two other malls in the district -- one is across the street fro, the Beverly Center (the Beverly Connection Mall which has discount and outlet shops) and the Grove which is about 1.5 miles / 2.4 km east of the Beverly Center) and features mid-range 'young fashions'.

Add to that, there are 2 or more miles (3.5 km) of boutique shops along nearby Melrose Av & Robertson Bl. Here's a map showing these areas along with the previous locations: http://mapq.st/2103aTR

In this map, I've also included the Sofitel Hotel which Elle recommended. This is a 4.5-star property with excellent reviews and is a little closer to shopping/dining. On the map, you'll find it facing the north side of the Beverly Center Mall. So, it's a 1-minute walk to the Beverly Center Mall (and the Beverly Connection Mall which faces the Beverly Center on La Cienega Bl). You could walk to Robertson Bl if you were so inclined. BTW, there is frequent bus service along all of these roads, e.g.Beverly Bl, La Cienega Bl, and 3rd St so you could make your way to these areas pretty quickly by bus. For the return trip, with shopping bags, you might want to secure a taxi. You must call for one in Los Angeles -- we don't have roving taxis here -- although some of the shopping centers have concierges that will order one for you; the same is true of restaurants.

Here are reviews for the Sofitel: (link and SCROLL DOWN for the reviews):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d76083-R…

b. Casa del Mar in Santa Monica -- the shopping and dining are to the north and east of the hotel although there are other options (explained below). To the immediate north of the hotel, along Ocean Av are lots of dining options and the Santa Monica Place Mall offers lots of upmarket shops (and dining). There is also dining along 4th Street. Here's a map of all of that: http://mapq.st/1LkeVc4 Here is the website for the Santa Monica Place Mall: http://www.santamonicaplace.com/Directory There are around 85 shops and restaurants.

Add to that, there are boutique shops along Abbot Kinney Bl in nearby Venice and also along Montana Av in Santa Monica. Here are those districts included in the previous map: http://mapq.st/1Lkf7Z3

Either area would be suitable. My preference would be for Central L.A. as it is a bit more compact. (I forgot to mention that there is also shopping along 3rd Street between the Beverly Center at the west and the Grove at the east). You can also take a 5 minute taxi ride or hop onto the bus adjacent to the Sofitel and ride into Beverly Hills City Centre where you'll find Neiman Marcus, Saks 5th Ave and lots and lots of additional shopping and dining.

Happy Planning!

Happy Planning.

australia
8 posts
5. Re: accommodation and shopping

Wow, thanks so very much. I will spend the next bit of time working thru all this information and will let you know how things work out with my planning.

6. Re: accommodation and shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, November 22, 2016