We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay?

I will be in LA Feb 20 for 5 nights. I'm travelling alone , male early 40's and just want to sight see and relax at a nice hotel in the 200 a night range. I am booked at the Westin in Pasadena , is that too far out of the way? I hear Santa Monica is nice but they want 400 bucks a night? Also is it worth renting a car to sightsee in the city or is public transportation the way to go?

Help

Dave

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,947 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay?

You'll need a car, especially if staying in Pasadena.

Pasadena is lovely, but it is about 30 minutes from Los Angeles' sightseeing spots (Hollywood, the beach - which is more like an hour from Pasadena), and you'll be continually dependent upon the freeways, and traffic.

Santa Monica is more expensive, but there are options. ShangriLa is affordable, as is the Huntley. There's a Sheraton, too - the Delfina. Not as nice as the Westin in Pasadena, but the area is fantastic.

Hollywood is another option - lots of hotels along Sunset in West Hollywood within your price range. Search Hotels in West Hollywood.

Take a look at our FAQs page, at the top of the LA forums, especially Neighborhoods and the FAQ on Where to Stay

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay?

Yeah, Pasadena is too far away from most sightseeing....if you are flying into LAX take a look at SunsetPlazaHotel.com, and if you are flying into Burbank....maybe HollywoodRoosevelt.com

UK
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay?

Hello

I stay in LA alot and definately recommend staying in Santa Monica as uit is a good base to get to all the sites of LA. It also has lots of nice places to eat and some up-market bars.

In terms of hotels you could try the Huntley but I stayed there afew weeks ago and had a bad experience with noise - I've put a review under the hotel on this site and if you have alot I don't think I am the only one who has had problems here. The Georgian is very nice, and up-market - that would be worth looking into. Its an art deco feel and very comfortable - if you can, try for a suite which aren't too much more than their rooms.

In terms of transport, I have always managed with buses but you most definately will have an easier time with the car - that said I have seen people having dreadful parking issues in places like Hollywood so it may be worth searching on line to check the parking out of the places you want to go.

Cheers

4. Re: where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, August 17, 2009