We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Los Angeles

Manama, Al Manamah...
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Los Angeles

Me and my wife would like to visit Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Francisco and New York for 2 weeks in October or novemeber. We are travelling from dubai. Later we will be travelling to Las Vegas and probably San Francisco or New York (not decided where). Please suggest what all should we cover in 3 days. We are interested in having fun, seeing attractions, monuments, scenery, shopping cheap, etc. Not interested in history museums, except if they r something unique or fun such as wax museum, etc.. We are not interested in Disneyland or universal studio as we have been there in other countries plus my wife would be 5 months pregnant. Please also let us know where should we stay and what would be budget friendly. Are there any good apartments in Los Angeles which are budget friendly or any hotels in the main areas in reasonable rate. Which area should we be looking to stay in so that we are in the center of all attractions. Please also suggest budget airlines to travel to Las Vegas and New York. Thank you

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,018 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Los Angeles

Welcome to the LA forum.

Budget airline - Southwest Airlines. You will need to go to their website, they don't come up when you use the booking sites. You can also check fares on American and United Airlines, too. I don't like Southwest for long flights (like to NYC), they don't have direct flights, so look at the larger carriers, again American, United, Delta, Virgin.

Please take a look at the LA top questions (the first two forum posts). In particular, read Where to Stay in L.A.

To develop your itinerary, look at the things to do tab at the top of the forum page (on the app, it's located at the very bottom of the page). There are studio tours (Warner Bros is well regarded), tours of the city (A Day In LA is popular as are the Starline Tours options), scenic drives, beaches, museums and view points, among many other things you can do.

To find a hotel, check the Hotels tab on this page, too (in the green bar on full TA version, bottom of page on the app). There, you can plug in your nightly budget, choose an area to stay, and hotels in that price point will come up. Look at hotels in Hollywood, West Hollywood, and Central LA if you want to be in the center. Lots of people enjoy staying near the beach, so Santa Monica and Marina del Rey are options, too. I think it's wise to ask us about your short list of hotels, lots of folks on this forum can help make sure the location of the hotel is in a good, walkable neighborhood.

Are you planning to rent a car? You can get around with mass transit, but a car is still the easiest way to travel here, and you have an opportunity to enjoy some longer day trips with one, too (Santa Barbara, Laguna Beach, a drive through pretty Malibu, those types of things).

If you prefer to use mass transit, you should make yourself familiar with trip planning here:

http://www.metro.net/

Edited: 3:48 pm, August 29, 2015
Manama, Al Manamah...
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Los Angeles

Thank you for your suggestions and sharing the places where I can look for an accommodation.. I was not planning to rent a car.. Was planning to use the hop on hop off or taxis.. do you think this is advisable or should I rent a car or go with the metro?

Manama, Al Manamah...
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Los Angeles

Thank you for the suggestions.. well since I will arrive first in NY i was thinking of the following:

NY - 4 nights

LV- 3 nights

SF- 3 nights

LA- 2 nights

Please suggest if the days allocated are enough to see the main attractions and sight seeings.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,257 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Los Angeles

LA for two nights means only a day and a half of sightseeing, because of the travel time from SF to LA is a half day if flying, and then the international flight home leaves about a half day. LA takes about 4 days to see, because of the distances. Can you drop Vegas?

Edited: 4:58 pm, August 30, 2015
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,018 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Los Angeles

Alternatively, Las Vegas is pretty compact, easier to see in 2 days, so if you can, drop one night from there.

10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Los Angeles

When planning my trip, I've found that I get most of my ideas from other peoples itineraries, so here's mine. I'm going for three days in December.

Day one

Arrive 6am.

Taxi/shuttle to hotel in Hollywood.

Wander around Hollywood for the morning, looking at the stars on the sidewalk, the hand/footprints, etc and taking a tour of the TCL Chinese Theatre.

Buy a 48 hour pass for the HOHO bus, take the red line to the La Brea Tar Pits for an hour or two visit, then the HOHO bus to the Farmer's Market/The Grove for an early dinner.

Day two

HOHO red line to Beverley Hills for a quick look around, then HOHO yellow line to Santa Monica for lunch and the afternoon. Yellow and red lines back to Hollywood.

Dinner and spending the evening at the Magic Castle - I went here on my last trip and loved it so much, so we're going again! You need to either be a member, or know a member, however if you stay at Hotel Celebrity, which is right behind the TCL Chinese Theatre, you can get in without a membership. It's not an amazing hotel, but the location and access into the Magic Castle makes it worth it for me.

Day three

Public bus line to Warner Bros for a two hour tour.

Public bus line to Universal to go to iFly (indoor skydiving - probably not ideal if your wife is five months pregnant!).

Train back to Hollywood and taxi/Uber to Griffith Park.

Flying to NYC that night.

Hope this helps!

USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
15,913 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Los Angeles

As I mentioned on the NYC forum, I would spend 6 days in NYC and 6 days in LA. With the days you have set aside for each, you'll be spending a lot of time checking in and out, plus time in the airport. In all honesty, you could spend all 12 days in NYC or LA alone.

Manama, Al Manamah...
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Los Angeles

Thank you everyone for the reviews .. Thanks to Caitsey also to share her itinerary. Well honestly Las Vegas is a must as its my wife's dream destination.. I have mentioned 3 days in LV since we are planning to go to Grand Canyon as well.. Please advise if this would be a good idea or not?

Considering Las Vegas as a must city, which city do you all think I should drop out from LA, NY and SF? Please advice and the time to be spent in each city..

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,818 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in Los Angeles

Unless you like super-stressful vacations, either drop NY and focus on the West Coast, or drop SF and focus on LA, or drop Vegas and focus on the coasts, or add another week to your vacation so you have enough time to really enjoy each destination.

USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
15,913 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days in Los Angeles

Since you do not want to rent a car and Vegas is a must, I would skip Los Angeles. As much as I love LA, I can not imagine visiting without a car.

I would spend 6 days in NYC, 3 days in Vegas, and 3 days in San Francisco.

NYC is not stressful if you plan correctly. In fact it's very easy to get around NYC via walking and the subway. You can do so much in NYC in 6 days. 3 days in Vegas is enough, even with a trip to the Grand Canyon. 3 days in San Fran will suffice as well.