We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Trip to LA with teenager in tow

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Last Minute Trip to LA with teenager in tow

I am flying out to La with my sister in law 17yo. She is looking into Whittier College in Whittier, CA. We fly in next week and arrive at LAX at noon Tuesday the 24th. We will not be leaving until Sunday evening the 29th at 7pm.

I have only been to Disneyland and that was with my 3yo and husband.

I would like to make this a fun trip for her as she has never been able to travel. But this is so last minute I am getting a little overwhelmed trying to decide what to do. Could any of you possibly help ?

I am sure she would like to do some sort of "star spotting" Maybe hang out at a local coffe shop. Can you buy a map of the stars homes ?

We would also like to make it down to Sea World for a day. And possibly fit in a beach as well but don't want to spend all of our time driving. We are open as far as hotels but for the Friday/Saturday portion need to be near Whittier.

Sorry for all the questions as you can see I am a little overwhelmed !!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute Trip to LA with teenager in tow

Check out the FAQs up top. Not sure if you will have a car or of your budget.

San Diego is a good 2 hour drive south of L.A.

Do not buy a map to stars homes. They are made up junk for tourists. Odds are you won't see a "star". Best bet is a nice restaurant on a weeknight.

Beach will be fun to see but don't expect to tan or swim. It will be cool - in the 70's most likely and the water will be too cold to go in.

Denver
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute Trip to LA with teenager in tow

Sorry instead of replying to this I accidently started a whole new topic. For a hotel we would like to stay under $100/night ( just the basics for us) and we will have a rental car.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute Trip to LA with teenager in tow

Yeah, forget the maps to the stars homes. That's just lame.

If you want to see some stars (always a rarely hit, usually miss proposition), try Malibu...The Country Mart at Cross Creek during the day, maybe Zooma Sushi in the evening. If you see one, control yourselves. It's really no big deal.

A couple of things a 17yo might like:

Hollywood/Highland in the evening...shoping, movies and crowds.

Venice Beach on a weekend day. Santa Monica 3rd St. Promenade in the evening.

California, USA
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute Trip to LA with teenager in tow

From The "Bu": ...do you really think it's necessary to tell people how to behave? Just because you have no manners doesn't mean that our lovely visitor from Denver is lacking them as well. No wonder Los Angeles gets a bad rap.

Ahem. Welcome Msslaydbug!

Never apologize for asking questions. It's what this forum is for!

I have a son a bit older than your sister-in-law and he suggested that you have her post her favorite things to do and see since she is the one looking to relocate here. Whittier College by the way has a great reputation...

Is she into shopping; eating; bike-riding; music... I would suggest Universal City Walk for someone her age. You could take the tour then stroll around City Walk. It is pretty fun and amazing (especially for those who are not jaded!); I've lived here all my life and still enjoy watching a movie there and going out to eat.

Follow the local experts' advice and FAQ regarding visiting Hollywood etc. Hollywood is fun to visit and the nightlife is great if you're over 21. Since you have a rental car, visit Brentwood (UCLA); Beverly Hills; and dare I say it? Malibu. It is really beautiful.

Let us know how far you' like to travel with regard to day trips... Santa Barbara is easily accessible and seen in a day or two (an overnight is even better...) The Santa Monica Promenade is fun for teenagers... there is lots to do... no worries! You'll get it all planned!

It's really nice of you to make this trip with her. The two of you will have such fun!

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Minute Trip to LA with teenager in tow

"From The "Bu": ...do you really think it's necessary to tell people how to behave?"

Irony duly noted, irishacapella.

California, USA
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Last Minute Trip to LA with teenager in tow

It was a rhetorical question Mr. Bu.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last Minute Trip to LA with teenager in tow

I certainly don't know about you, irishacapella, but when I see "maps of the stars homes," "star stpotting," "hang out" and "17yo", red flags start waving proudly in the gale.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last Minute Trip to LA with teenager in tow

PS UCLA is in Westwood.

California, USA
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Last Minute Trip to LA with teenager in tow

You are correct. The last time I checked, UCLA was still in Westwood! : ) I got ahead of myself and ran it all together. I'm glad you noticed it. (And were nice about it.)

10. Re: Last Minute Trip to LA with teenager in tow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 23, 2009