We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getty Center and Malibu

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
194 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Getty Center and Malibu

I'm thinking of going to the Getty Museum in Brentwood, and then taking a drive north up through the Malibu area during the early evening. We will be staying in Santa Monica. Can anyone suggest a good restaurant in middle price ranges. One possibility would be a sushi restaurant. Something with a view, maybe in the $60-$75 range for two. (without drinks)

Mentioned in this post
The Brentwood Inn
The Brentwood Inn
376 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Malibu
Malibu
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,131 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getty Center and Malibu

There are only a few restaurants with a view:

The Lobster (but it's in Santa Monica)

Gladstones (a tourist trap, really)

Moonshadows (great view, good food, expensive)

Dukes (a chain out of Hawaii, but can be fun - great view)

Geoffrey's (best view, most mediocre food)

Addresses and phone numbers are at la.com/dining.

Mentioned in this post
The Lobster
The Lobster
1,846 Reviews
Santa Monica, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Gladstones
Gladstones
717 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Moonshadows
Moonshadows
597 Reviews
Malibu, CA
Geoffrey's
Geoffrey's
826 Reviews
Malibu, CA
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
194 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getty Center and Malibu

Thanks yoga. Is driving a zoo from 5-6 on Fridays? If I stay at the Getty until 6 or so, will that make the driving easier? I'll check out those places you suggested.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,131 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getty Center and Malibu

What time of year is your trip? Traffic on PCH is only bad in the summer, but on a Friday, I'd recommend leaving The Getty around 4:00, to avoid Sunset Blvd traffic.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
194 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getty Center and Malibu

We'll be there in two weeks. It's been cold in the midwest, so I'll be looking forward to some warmer sun.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getty Center and Malibu

The Restaurant at the Getty stays open for dinner on Fridays and Saturdays. I'd say have lunch in Malibu and enjoy a sunny walk on the beach, then head for the Getty. It's open until 9pm and you'll be driving AGAINST most of the traffic. Enjoy the sunset outside of the museum around 5:30pm, then take your tour and plan for a nice 8pm dinner under the stars.

Excellent food, on the pricey side but just within your price range and with very reasonable wine list.

Mentioned in this post
Malibu
Malibu
California
Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getty Center and Malibu

It may bust your budget, depending on what you order, but you might want to try Nobu for sushi/Japanese at the Country Mart at Cross Creek in Malibu. If it's too expensive, keep driving and you'll hit Zooma Sushi just before Zuma Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Malibu
Malibu
California
Zuma Beach
Zuma Beach
708 Reviews
Malibu, CA
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
194 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getty Center and Malibu

Thanks for the sushi tips. Appears there is no shortage of sushi restaurants in Southern Cal.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getty Center and Malibu

"Thanks yoga. Is driving a zoo from 5-6 on Fridays? If I stay at the Getty until 6 or so, will that make the driving easier? I'll check out those places you suggested."

Driving northbound (actually westbound) from the Getty from 5-6pm on Fridays will put you in traffic. Sometimes it's not too bad and only bunches up at major cross-streets: Topanga Canyon, Big Rcok, Las Flores Canyon, Cross Creek and The Colony. If there's an accident on the 405 in the Sepulveda Pass or the 101 west of the 405, it can get awfully crowded on Pacific Coast Highway.

Oh, and I should mention that the two Malibu sushi restaurants I mentioned do not have views (unless you count the occassional celebrity).

Mentioned in this post
Sepulveda Motel
Sepulveda Motel
Los Angeles, CA
Malibu
Malibu
California
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
194 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getty Center and Malibu

Would anyone else agree with the post to go to Malibu area first and then go to Getty later in the afternoon and have dinner either at Getty or nearby? I'm not afraid to drive in traffic, but with limited time don't want to be stuck in a car.

Mentioned in this post
Malibu
Malibu
California
Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getty Center and Malibu

"Would anyone else agree with the post to go to Malibu area first and then go to Getty later in the afternoon and have dinner either at Getty or nearby?"

That sounds like a good idea to me, especially on a Friday.

Mentioned in this post
Malibu
Malibu
California