We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel without a car

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
31 reviews
Best hotel without a car

Hi,

We are planning to stay in Los Angeles for 4 nights in May. We would prefer not to hire a car so would like somewhere that is easy to use public transport. We plan on visiting Hollywood, Beverley Hills, Santa Monica and the downtown area. We would also be able to walk to bars and restaurants in the evening, doesn't have to be anything fancy.

After reading some of the tips on FAQs, we were looking at staying at either:

- Beverly Laurel Motor Hotel

- Farmer's Daughter Hotel

- Park Plaza Lodge Hotel

Any thoughts or advice on better hotels?

Thanks

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,035 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Best hotel without a car

Generally speaking those hotels can work with a bit of walking to the nearby buses. From the general area where all of those are, you can get directly to Hollywood,Beverly Hills and downtown with one bus ride. Santa Monica will need two bus rides, but the bus you would use to get to Beverly Hills also stops right next to where you'd get the bus to Santa Monica.

Of them, Farmer's Daughter is probably the best of the bunch - slightly nicer than the others and I think it and Beverly Laurel are the best located of the three. There are many restaurants at The Grove / Farmer's Market complex near all 3 hotels, as well as on Beverly Blvd. and 3rd St. west of Fairfax Ave. If you venture a little bit further afield, even more choices on Melrose Ave. and La Cienega Blvd.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,619 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Best hotel without a car

All of those hotels are in the "Beverly Grove" area (referred to as "Central L.A." on Tripadvisor's 'hotel page' for Los Angeles). Do you know how to look up reviews for these hotels on tripadvisor?

I like Beverly Grove and I recommend it to friends and relatives who visit me. It is very centrally-located in L.A. and it isn't touristy (no "I love Los Angeles" tee shirts being sold in the stores there or greasy pizza slices on rotating platters in shop windows). There is very nice shopping of all kinds -- from boutique shops along 3rd St as well as Melrose Av which isn't too far away, to 3 malls (an upmarket, mid-range and mini-outlet/discount one). There are also dozens and dozens of restaurants of all kinds and in all price ranges.

There is one thing that the area does NOT have and that is nightlife. What I mean is: plenty of shops and restaurants are open in the evenings but there are no 'dance clubs', 'comedy clubs', 'live music venues' or 'stand-alone bars' in this district. Many restaurants have bars in them and you are free to frequent these bars whether or not you eat in the restaurant but if you're looking for a frantic nightlife environment, Beverly Grove will not suffice. On the other hand, both Hollywood and West Hollywood (the 'Sunset Strip' area of West Hollywood) are two major nightlife areas so if you're looking for live music or a dance club, it's a short bus or taxi ride away. (Again, there are bars in Beverly Grove).

I agree with Mach that the Farmers Daughter is the best of the lot as it is a 3-star hotel whereas the others are 2-stars. The Beverly Laurel is also going through some remodeling at present. To reach Hollywood, there are buses on the road in front of the Farmers Daughter that head there every 10 or 15 minutes. To reach Santa Monica, you'd need to catch a bus in the opposite direction (which would be south), ride it for 2 or 3 minutes (to the corner of Wilshire Bl) and then transfer there to a rapid bus (the 720 metro rapid bus) westbound to Beverly Hills and onward to Santa Monica.

For downtown, you have a number of transfer options from the Farmers Market:

1. The 14 or 16 Metro buses heading east along neighboring Beverly Bl or 3rd St

2. The 14 east along Beverly Bl, transferring to the red line metro at the corner of Beverly Bl & Vermont Av (this option is useful if you're traveling during 'rush hour' since the train is underground, not affected by vehicular traffic. Add to that, if you plan to visit the eastern end of downtown, the red line passes below the continuous masses of traffic in downtown

3. A southbound bus to Wilshire Bl (the route you'd take for Beverly Hills/Santa Monica) but instead take a 720 Metro Rapid bus in the easterly directly. You can take it all the way into downtown or get off at Wilshire/Western and transfer to the purple line metro rail into downtown (again, advised during 'high traffic' hours).

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Best hotel without a car

I would look at the Hollywood and Highland area for good public transit, the LA Metro Red Line Subway is right there, plenty to walk to, and the main Tour Company, Starline Tours, is right at the corner.

I would start with the Orchid Suites if you are looking for a lower cost option.

http://www.orchidsuites.com/prices.htm

It is a popular Hotel, and books frequently. Also get very good reviews here at TA.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77270-R…

I would also check out the Magic Castle Hotel, though higher in price.

Also the Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame.

Enjoy your trip.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,035 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: Best hotel without a car

From Beverly Grove to Beverly Hills: 1 bus (Metro bus 14)

From Beverly Grove to downtown LA: 1 bus (Metro bus 14)

From Beverly Grove to Hollywood: 1 bus (Metro bus 217 or 780)

From Beverly Grove to Santa Monica: 2 buses (Metro 14 and then Metro 704)

From Hollywood to Beverly Hills: 2 buses (217 or 780, and then 704)

From Hollywood to downtown LA: 1 subway ride

From Hollywood to Santa Monica: 2 buses (217 or 780, and then 704)

Of course, Hollywood to Hollywood: 0 bus rides

So its a bit of a wash. With your to-do list, you'll do fine in either area but the Beverly Grove area is a lot less touristy than Hollywood, as HopSkipJump has pointed out, and IMHO, is generally a bit nicer.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
8,952 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Best hotel without a car

The Farmer's Daughter is fun. You'll like the convenience of the Farmer's Market/Grove across the street. Great place for a casual meal. Be sure to check out the museums on the Miracle Mile just south of the hotel.

If you don't have a car, definitely consider using Uber. Their UberX service is very affordable. Getting back to your hotel will be easy.

To Hollywood -- $5-$7

To Beverly Hills -- $4-$6

To Santa Monica -- $12-$17

To Downtown -- $10-$14

Be sure to familiarize yourself with the subway. It connects Hollywood and downtown.

HTH

6. Re: Best hotel without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 28, 2016