We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover again, sorry!

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
, England, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Layover again, sorry!

Hi there, apologies first as I know variations of this question get asked all the time but I'm getting a little confused! My husband and I and 3 kids (ages 5,9 and 11) will be flying into LA from Honolulu on Sat 3rd Jan, landing at 5.30am and flying with "British Airways operated by American Airlines" it says on the E-ticket.

The onward flight home is to London at 17.00 on 3rd Jan with British Airways.

I have read lots about how long it takes to get through customs and security again before our onward flight and am really conscious of time but am wondering a) whether Hawaii counts as arriving on a domestic flight or international? And b) if anyone knows whether, as both flights are British Airways, (bought together as part of a Round the World ticket) we will have to collect luggage in between flights or not? As one says 'operated by American Airlines', I'm assuming we will?

The kids are desperate to see the Hollywood sign, I know it's a bit clichéd, but it's the first thing they asked when we said we had to stop in LA for a while. Obviously we don't want to take risks time wise but this is our homeward trip at the end of 6 weeks travelling the South Pacific and Asia, so we want to get as much out of everywhere as poss and 12 hours is a huge amount of time to spend indoors at an airport with 2 long flights either side of it with 3 kids, they will need to run out for a bit!

Thanks for any thoughts, Sam

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,479 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover again, sorry!

Hawaii is domestic and your bags in your case would be checked all the way to you finall destination. You will fly into lax on American and out on British Both flights are not British

Edited: 9:38 am, July 18, 2014
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,794 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover again, sorry!

Hawaii is a state in the USA! It is a domestic flight.

As mentioned above when your ticket says "operated by American Airlines" then you are flying on an American Airlines plane. When you go to the gate in Honolulu you'll be looking at an American Airlines gate. You won't see your bags until you arrive in London.

You certainly have plenty of time to get into LA to look around but the LA folks will have to give you some ideas about that.

When you come back to the airport you'll go to a different terminal for the British Airways flight and you'll have to go through security again of course.

, England, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover again, sorry!

Haha thanks Riff, I know it's a US state but wasn't sure how it works for flights, thanks for clarifying!

I'm really pleased our luggage will stay checked but can't quite get my head round how when we are flying 2 different airlines and 2 different terminals but one less thing to think about at least! Will definitely have to remember to put toothbrushes in hand luggage ;)

Thanks again for replies!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,794 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover again, sorry!

Make sure when you check in the bags in Honolulu with American Airlines that they are tagged to LONDON .

IF no one answers the part of your question about spending time in LA during your layover in a little while, then maybe ask again in a separate thread about what to do with children in LA.

Perhaps read the question on the right side of this page dealing with what to see/do.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,479 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover again, sorry!

Just my humble opinion and my suggestion would be to book a room for the day -- there are hotels such as the Travelodge at LAX that rent for hours and check in early and spend a few hours relaxing and cleaning up and after the rush hour traffic has settled you may want to head out and get back by 3 pm to the airport . I think 90 minutes is normally fine but with kids et al, perhaps 2 hours would work. I would have spent the rest of the day in Santa Monica about 20 minutes away -- pier, excellent restaurants instead of driving to see some sign that looks just like a photo - but I get it that your kids may think it is iconic.

Our LA experts can help you figure out how to see LA

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,644 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover again, sorry!

Am I to understand that you will be visiting Hawaii before arriving in Los Angeles? If so, it makes little sense to visit a beach town, you're apt to be disappointed and January is not a warm month, making the beach towns less desirable. With your early morning arrival, you should get a rental car, have breakfast (try Pann's Coffee Shop http://www.panns.com/ ), and drive to Hollywood around 9:00 am. The Walk of Fame, sign, and sights are easy to see once there. Park at Hollywood and Highland shopping center. You'll want to be back at LAX 3 hours prior to an international flight.

You might be very tired, however, as you're on an overnight flight and we are 3 hours earlier than Hawaii, putting your body clocks in the middle of the night, so take that into consideration as well.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover again, sorry!

The Flyaway Bus from LAX to Hollywood is scheduled to begin in mid September. The stop will be on Vine, a block from Hollywood Blvd. A good vantage point for the Hollywood sign is at the Hollywood/Highland complex - 2nd or 3rd level. A 15-20 minute walk. Fare is $8 pp one way. Will have to check on further details.

, England, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Layover again, sorry!

Yes plumeria we will have been down the east coast of Oz, north island of NZ, a week each at Fiji and Hawaii so the kids may have had their fill of beaches by then?

Thanks for all the ideas, like the idea of getting a hotel room for a couple of hours, especially if the first flight into LA goes belly up and no one has slept ;-).

9. Re: Layover again, sorry!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 20, 2015