We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-day SanJose to LA Trip Itinerary - please critique/suggest

San Jose, California
8 posts
Save Topic
2-day SanJose to LA Trip Itinerary - please critique/suggest

I will be driving from San Jose to LA with my parents (total 3 adults including me) for a 1-night/2-day trip. They are mainly interested in seeing Hollywood, Santa Barbara, and Universal Studios.

I plan to leave San Jose at ~5am, reach at ~11am. My itinerary for that day is as follows:

o Drive from home to Hollywood & Highland Center, park at 6801 Hollywood Blvd, Hollywood, CA 90028 [1 Hour for lunch, 1 Hour for sight seeing]

- Walk to Hollywood walk of fame (Hollywood Blvd & N Sycamore Ave)

- Get a Coffee at Starbucks near H&H to validate parking

- Photographs at Casting Couch near Starbucks

- Walk to Grauman’s Chinese Theatre

- Get back in the car, then drive to Santa Monica Pier

- Lunch at Hollywood (Bombay Grill)

o Drive from Hollywood to Santa Monica Pier (405 Hilgard Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90095) [~40 minutes drive, 2-3 Hours sight seeing] - drive through Sunset strip on the way to Santa Monica

o Fill gas at Costco, 6100 Sepulveda Blvd, Van Nuys, CA 91411 [~15-20 minutes total incl. drive]

o Drive back to hotel [~20-25 minutes drive]

o Dinner at Burbank, CA

For Day 2, we will just head to universal studios at ~8:15am (park opens at 9), spend the day there, and then drive back to San Jose after dinner.

For hotel, I am thinking of one of these 3. Any recommendation on which of these 3 is better?

El Patio Inn, Studio City - $134+tax for 2 queen bed room

Best Western Burbank Airport Inn, North Hollywood, CA 91605

$117 + $15.26 (tax) (2 Queens)

SUPER 8 NORTH HOLLYWOOD, North Hollywood, CA

$99 + $12.53

Any suggestions on which hotel may be a better choice? They are all wthin 5-8 miles from Universal Studios Hollywood.

Also, on the 2nd day, on our drive back to San Jose, we *may* need a cheap hotel (we will be driving back from I-5).. any suggestions on where to stop ~1-2 hours from Hollywood on our way back? I was thinking Santa Clarita, but wanted opinions..

Need help on:

1) Itinerary critique

2) Which hotel to chose near Hollywood from the three listed above

3) Which city to stay on our drive back home.. preferable inexpensive and about 1-hour from Hollywood on our drive back on I-5..

San Jose, California
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-day SanJose to LA Trip Itinerary - please critique/suggest

Sorry, I meant Santa Monica, not Santa Barbara :-)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,808 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-day SanJose to LA Trip Itinerary - please critique/suggest

>> *may* need a cheap hotel (we will be driving back from I-5).. any suggestions on where to stop ~1-2 hours from Hollywood on our way back? I was thinking Santa Clarita, but wanted opinions.. <<

Santa Clarita is only about 30 minutes from Hollywood, not quite one hour. If you want "cheap" hotel, I suspect those would not be as cheap as something you find along I-5. If you can press on for another hour, drive on I-5 for another hour, descend down through Grapevine and search for hotels/motels there. I think would be less expensive. But your tiredom may set in after a full day. Something to consider.

Past Santa Clarita, there are only Castaic and about Gorman which have accommodations. I don't know about the prices there. May not be as low. Castaic is only about 15 min from Santa Clarita. For Gorman, add 30 more min.

Hmmmmm.... Google map showed some construction work on I-5 near Pyramid Lake, and significantly increased the time it takes to pass through this region. (2.5 hours instead of about 1.25 hour?) Check the Caltrans site for road closure or major construction work...

Map:

http://goo.gl/7hTJ2d

3. Re: 2-day SanJose to LA Trip Itinerary - please critique/suggest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 14, 2015