We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping - Local Art, Jewelry

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping - Local Art, Jewelry

Hello, we will be in LA next week, staying in the Los Feliz area. I've been studying up on the Forum and the Top Questions/Trip Ideas sections. I've learned many things about the various shopping areas in LA but I am looking for suggestions on places in particular that have local shops with local artwork, jewelry or craft items. I'm not looking for highest of the high end or the low end of the spectrum here, just true local art, jewelry or craft items. Even if it's not LA proper but one of the neighboring areas, I would be interested to know. I'm definitely not interested in malls or places with stores that I can find in Ohio but if there are malls with local shops, I would like to know. When I travel I like to find unique, local items as my souvenirs. I will be out and about with my husband and 13 year old son, so I need to be selective in where I go and I need to maximize my shopping time. We will certainly peruse Rodeo Drive but I consider that more of a tourist outing. If there is no such place in/around LA, so be it. Just had to ask. Thanks!!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,947 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping - Local Art, Jewelry

Abbot Kinney in Venice, Main Street in Santa Monica and Montana Avenue in Santa Monica all have local craft/jewelry/galleries. Montana Avenue, in particular, has a few, like 10 Women and Semi Precious and Bamboora.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping - Local Art, Jewelry

If you want a spectacular day trip with all of the wonderful arts and crafts imaginable, head to Santa Barbara on most Sunday's. It is roughly a 90 minute drive, up Pacific Coast Highway (therefore, gorgeous!). Santa Barbara is a lovely community with shops, restaurants, the arts and crafts show each Sunday, a California Mission, winery tours.......

santabarbaraca.gov/gov/depts/parksrec/recrea…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping - Local Art, Jewelry

How many total nights do you have?

A day trip to Laguna Beach would be fun and have a lot of what you are looking for in and around Downtown Laguna Beach and more to do besides that.

Vermont Ave in the Los Feliz area may have some places.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,220 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping - Local Art, Jewelry

Los Feliz has some offerings:

www.yelp.com/biz/wacko-soap-plant-los-angeles

(This place cannot really be described. Whereas it has cheesy plastic toys made in Japan, it also has really unique crafts. Pop in for a minute and see if anything catches your fancy).

http://coop28.tumblr.com/

(Lot of vintage stuff here)

Just east of Los Feliz, check out he Silverlake neighborhood. Stores of note include:

http://www.enartscrafts.com/

http://www.m-u-s-h.com/

Check out the boutique shops along Melrose Av between La Brea Av (at the east) and Fairfax Av (at the west). At the western end of the area, Fairfax High School has a 'flea market' (what they call the

"Trading Post") on weekends. I'm not sure that you'd find what you're looking for there but it's likely.

Before I forget, the Montrose shopping district at the northern end of the city of Glendale (to the west of the 2 Freeway and just south of the 210 freeway) is worth a visit. This neighborhood feels like the main street of a little town in, well, Ohio. Not to be missed.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping - Local Art, Jewelry

There's the Jewelry District in downtown LA. Beyond that, there used to be a Gem Show at the Santa Monica Convention Center every few months with lots of jewelry artisans displaying and selling their wares - you might want to check if the show happens to coincide with your visit.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping - Local Art, Jewelry

A Google search netted me the Falcon Ridge Arts Festival, which is out in the San Bernardino area:

festivalnet.com/68290/… May 31 and June 1

Here is a very long list of craft and art shows, but they are all over the state:

www.craftmasternews.com/california.aspx

One of them, the Patchwork Indie Arts & Crafts is going on in Long Beach next week (5/25) and a yelp reviewer called it "Etsie come to life." I may have to check it out myself!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping - Local Art, Jewelry

You really got me thinking about this topic!

Another place to investigate, which you could do if you go to the Long Beach show on 5/25, is Crafted at the Port of Los Angeles:

http://craftedportla.com/

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping - Local Art, Jewelry

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the responses!

9. Re: Shopping - Local Art, Jewelry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, May 21, 2015