We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Monica dining (breakfast & dinner)

Vienna
Level Contributor
283 posts
484 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Monica dining (breakfast & dinner)

We will be staying at the Rest Haven Motel (arriving on Sunday). We are just passing through on our way to Death Valley National Park. We are a group of 4 adults. I would be grateful for dining recommendations. Places that locals like preferred. Basicly anything non-European. Reasonable prized. Extensive choice (as I have various interests to cover). No fish or seafood only.

And a place that serves delicious breakfast (we are all breakfast-lovers). Walking distance fine. However, if we need to drive I need a place with off-street parking.

Early dining (dinner and breakfast) is not a problem, if that would help to find a spot

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,308 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Monica dining (breakfast & dinner)

Nothing to walk to in that area of Lincoln, unless you are big walkers (it's about a two miles walk up a hill on Ocean Park).

Drive over to Main Street and park anywhere (read the signs carefully, or valet park), and have dinner anywhere that appeals to you. I suggest Chaya Venice, Galley, Stella Barra, Library Alehouse. Other options would be to drive to the area around the Promenade and choose from Hillstone, Bar Pintxo, Loteria -- you can look all of this up on google.

For breakfast, drive over to Cora's Coffee Shoppe on Ocean at Pico. Or, drive to Montana Avenue where you have Blue Plate, Montana Cafe, 17th Street Cafe and more - this is where you'll find locals. Or, you can head back to Main Street, to M Street Kitchen, Urth Cafe or Newsroom Cafe.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Monica dining (breakfast & dinner)

Is that the Rest Haven Motel near Lincoln, off Grant? Can you change your hotel and fast? I used to live a block from that place and would call the police often due to the low lifes that hang around there and the Jack in the Box opposite it. Try Sea Shore Motel on Main St., Comfort Inn on Santa Monica Blvd. or TravelLodge on Pico for safe, family friendly, low cost lodging in Santa Monica.

If you have a rental car, also look into Marina del Rey. Please run the hotels and motels past us first!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Monica dining (breakfast & dinner)

I too would suggest changing. 2nd suggestion for Chaya Venice, its quite good. I also like Urth Cafe for breakfast.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,210 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Monica dining (breakfast & dinner)

Chaya Venice is excellent but it's also super-expensive. You would be hard-pressed to eat dinner there for less than $100 per person. Here is their menu:

thechaya.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/veni…

If you had the CHEAPEST items on their menu, this is what a meal would cost you:

a. Vegan soup: $8

b. Caesar Salad: $12.50

c. The risotto or black angus burger (which would not be a huge portion): $19

d. Fries: $5

e. A glass of white wine: $10

Their dessert menu:

thechaya.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/veni…

f. Desserts start at $9

g. Coffee is $4.

So, let's add that all up: $8+$12.50+$19+$5+$10+$9+$4 = $67.50 + 9.5% sales tax = $73.91 The minimum tip at such a restaurant would be 18% of the pre-tax amount ($67.50 x 18%) = $12.15 bringing your 'meal total' to $86.06 (and that's if you ordered the cheapest items on each section of the menu).

If you're staying at the Rest Haven, it's unlikely that this is what you're looking for!

Here are the reviews for your motel (link and SCROLL DOWN):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33052-d1529203…

It appears to get decent reviews.

For a reasonably-priced dinner, consider Frito MIsto (their Santa Monica location at 601 Colorado Av). Here's their website: http://www.usmenuguide.com/frittomisto.html

and a map from your motel to the restaurant: http://mapq.st/1ngHhvb

Vienna
Level Contributor
283 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Monica dining (breakfast & dinner)

Ok before I'm judged for my accommodation choice. Major reason for staying overnight in Santa Monica. We drive the PCH southbound from San Francisco and after LA we will drive to Death Valley.

The stay in Santa Monica for one night is just because a member of my group wants a picture of John Stamos' star on the Walk of Fame. I did not choose Hollywood to stay overnight, because I thought Santa Monica would be nicer. Maybe I was mislead by a visit to the pier some years agon. We start our trip in Chicago (no room under 200,00, plus the night in San Francisco and more nights along PCH, and Death Valley isn't cheap either). Plus flight from coast to coast, plus car rental. The trip itself is expensive. I just did not want to spend a fortune for the night in Santa Monica (or LA more or less). I checked out Comfort Inn and they charge 194.00 a night. I could swith to Best Western Gateway to Santa Monica. This would be 175.00 plus tax. I'm a GCC member and at least would earn some points.

Now: here's the itinerary: The day before, we stay overnight in Oxnard. then drive to LA for reason above plus a visit to the Santa Monica Pier. We can stay anywhere in LA on our way to Death Valley.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,308 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Monica dining (breakfast & dinner)

Actually Chaya Venice is super Inexpensive if you get a table in the bar area. Same menu, bar prices, same chef, happy hour all night long, every night. $5 drinks, $10 entrees (same menu).

Fritto Misto closes soon, but is a good idea for you, if it's still in business when you're here.

For a cheaper motel, look into the Sea Shore, the Sea View Hotel, and also the Wilshire Motel (not in SM, but in West LA and convenient).

Edited: 8:01 pm, May 04, 2014
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Monica dining (breakfast & dinner)

The Comfort Inn is a clean hotel located mid-city, a far better choice. Santa Monica is lovely and you will enjoy the downtown area greatly. There are a few motels, mostly along Lincoln Blvd. towards Venice, that are independently run and not well regarded by the community (or the police department).

8. Re: Santa Monica dining (breakfast & dinner)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 06, 2015