We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Los Angeles

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
A day in Los Angeles

We are flying from LasVegas to Los Angeles on the 4th July, we then fly home to Australia that evening at 10:30. Is it feasible to leave our luggage at the airport & spend the day in the city? Any suggestions where we should go or would it be better to stay in Vegas for the day & fly in later & just stay at the airport until our flight home? Thanks, in anticipation, Mary.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Los Angeles

There's no luggage storage at LAX itself. If you want to do something like what you've described, you have three main options:

a) rent (hire) a car for the day and keep your luggage in the car's trunk (boot) - and use the car to explore around LA. Generally this is the best way as it also addresses how you will get around LA and explore.

b) get a cheap hotel room (like at the Travelodge LAX) and leave your luggage there while you are out exploring.

c) use www.laxluggagestorage.com, a company that will pick your luggage up from you at the terminals, store it for you, and return it to you at the terminals as well. But they are not cheap.

Keep in mind that you will need to be back at LAX around 3 hours before an outbound international flight.

Most 4th of July activities are at night. A few things that are normally open will be closed for the holiday. But what you might specifically want to do also depends on your interests. There's tons of things to do in LA and tons of variety, so please tell us what types of things interest you.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,220 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Los Angeles

Here is another option for you:

Fly into BUR (Bob Hope Airport) in Burbank. Take the train from there into Union Station in downtown L.A. (25 minutes / $5) and stow your luggage at the station. Explore downtown on foot or via public transit, or take a tour from one of the hotels or the Hop On, Hop off bus tour and explore the city. Return to Union Station, retrieve your luggage, exit the REAR doors of the station after passing through the tunnel under the tracks and emerging into the bus plaza behind the station, and take the Union Station Flyaway Bus to LAX ($8, 35-40 minutes)

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,430 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Los Angeles

July 4th is a Friday, the busiest travel day of the week. It's also a three day weekend, and a major USA Holiday. I think travel that day will be crowded everywhere. People on the roads heading to the beach, to family BBQ's, picnic areas and events. Even though the Fireworks are set to go off around town at 9 PM, I think it will be a busy day around town.

I'd probably stay in LV, take an afternoon flight to LA and arrive a few hours before your flight. On the other hand, if you want to see something of LA, rent a car, put your luggage in the trunk and drive to someplace you want to visit.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in Los Angeles

I like CA's approach.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
3,714 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day in Los Angeles

Downtown LA has things to do and see, but even without holiday closures, I do not think that its tourist attractions are worth the effort that you will have to make. Trying to do one day's tourism in LA with public transportation is difficult and a lot of normal attractions are likely to be closed or crowded. You are in a little bit of a frustrating situation since there will be fireworks and a celebration going on about a mile south of LAX, in El Segundo, but you need to be in the terminal at that time. I think that I'd go with staying in Las Vegas and catching an afternoon flight to LAX.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day in Los Angeles

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. I think we will probably stay in Las Vegas & fly to Los Angeles in the afternoon, Mary

7. Re: A day in Los Angeles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 01, 2015