We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One or two hotel locations to see best LA sights?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
36 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
One or two hotel locations to see best LA sights?

Hi, thanks in advance to anybody who can help.

We (me & girlfriend, no kids) want to see the following in LA:

- Disneyland

- Knotts Berry Farm

- Universal Studios

- Santa Monica

- Newport Beach

- Sunset Boulevard

We want to see these things in 6-7 days and don't want to stay in 6-7 hotels

Question:

Which location or two is best for a hotel and then drive (or even taxi) to the sights?

Without the driving/taxi being too far/expensive?

Any suggestions? If so, thanks!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,383 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One or two hotel locations to see best LA sights?

Here's a map.

visitlongbeach.com/maps/southerncalifornia.h…

Be warned that there are two things wrong with this map:

1. Hollywood is not in the right location. It should be just below the orange dot that marks Universal Studios.

2. The map is not exactly to scale.

Now as you can see, you want to cover a lot of territory. A few notes...

Disneyland (which is marked on the map) is in Anaheim (a southern suburb outside of the city of Los Angeles).

Knotts Berry Farm (though not marked on the map) is in Buena Park which IS marked on the map. They are fairly close to one another -- you could drive between the two or take public transit pretty easily (or a taxi). in such a case, it would make sense to say at one of the many, many, many hotels that are adjacent to Disneyland.

Let's consider Newport Beach., It is also a southern suburb of Los Angeles. Newport, Disneyland and Knotts are three locations in the giant ORANGE COUNTY -- the county to the south of LOS ANGELES COUNTY, Newport is a great beach city to visit but I'm not sure why you've put it in your itinerary when you are already going to visit Santa Monica. (Granted, Newport is a much smaller, less developed 'beach town' than Santa Monica which is a modern city with large high-rise hotels and apartments but since you have only 6 or 7 days, you're going to be doing A LOT of driving if you include both Santa Monica and Newport since NEITHER of these beach areas are EASILY ACCESSIBLE by public transit (more on this later).

BTW, many people visiting Disneyland (and the adjacent Disney California Adventure spend 2, 3 or more days visiting these parks. (Even if you spend just 2 days there and one day at Knotts and one day at the beach, you will be running out of time pretty quickly!).

Ok, the remaining areas -- Universal Studios, Santa Monica and Sunset Bl (which I assume you mean "the Sunset Strip" portion of Sunset Bl) are all in Los Angeles County and are fairly close together. (It's about a 40 to 60 minute drive from Universal to Santa Monica (depending on traffic) and about a 60-minute to 90-minute bus ride. The Sunset Strip is in between these two locations (about 20 minutes from Universal).

It would be logical to spend part of your trip staying in Orange County so that you coud easily visit Disneyland and Knotts (and, maybe Newport). As mentioned previously, look at the hotels in Anaheim that are adjacent to Disneyland. Go to the TRIP ADVISOR HOMEPAGE (http://www.tripadvisor.com/) and type in ANAHEIM as your destination to find these hotels.

Spend the rest of your trip staying in Los Angeles to be close to Universal, Sunset Strip and Santa Monica. You have many neighborhoods to choose from. If you wish to use public transit, stay in Hollywood as that will give you easy access to Universal and the Sunset Strip -- Hollywood is in between these two areas. The bus ride from Hollywood to Santa Monica is just under an hour. Hollywod Hotels are here:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32655-Los_Angeles_Ca…

If you decide to skip Santa Monica in favor of Newport, then you definitely do not need a car in Los Angeles.

Hope this has been helpful. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to post.

lin
England
Level Contributor
441 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One or two hotel locations to see best LA sights?

Hope that I am allowed to join in here..since I found both the question and answer very useful.

We would like to do something similar...flying in from UK..and then moving on to Las Vegas before coming home to UK.

Would you hire a car and drive to Las Vegas or fly..and if you decided to hire a car would you get it from the start...also should we do Disney area and then LA/Hollywood area or vice versa.

We do appreciate that in the end it is down to personal choce but we're happy to be guided by knowledgable people....

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,242 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One or two hotel locations to see best LA sights?

Best to start a new thread, as yours is a completely different topic and might get lost.

I always recommend flying to Vegas. It's easier, quicker, simple. The drive is 5 hours + (thanks to much construction along the 15 freeway), uninteresting and often filled with traffic.

It doesn't matter which order you see Hollywood vs Disneyland. It's up to you and your energy level - Disneyland is more than a full day.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
36 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One or two hotel locations to see best LA sights?

Thank you very much for the comprehensive answer HopSkipJump! :o)

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One or two hotel locations to see best LA sights?

dersi, I agree with hopskipjump. Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Newport Beach are all in Orange County. Santa Monica, Sunset Blvd are all in LA County. Just to avoid traffic, I would stay in 2 locations. A variety of hotels in Orange County do offer the Newport Beach Tour/Fashion Island, if you decide not to rent a car. May I also suggest if you do go to Newport Beach and if you decide to rent a car, to stop by Laguna Beach. Laguna is a beautiful beach town, you'll enjoy it!

In LA area, if you want to be closer to public transportation options, I also agree with Hollywood esp hotels that are within walking distance to the redline train(example-Hollywood and Highland). I believe Starline Tours also offers Santa Monica tours, but not sure dates they offer the tour. Have fun!

Lin, as both yoga and hopskipjump mentioned, if its your first time at Disney, it's more than a 1 day trip. When we went last year, even though we are locals, we stayed for the whole weekend to enjoy both DL and CA Adventure. If you like, stay at the Disney area/OC area for Disneyland . If you want to visit LA/Hollywood, you can always take the Amtrak train from the Anaheim or Fullerton station, to get to LA/Hollywood. There is also a free shuttle now that can take you from Disneyland area hotels(in Orange County) to Universal Studios.

lin
England
Level Contributor
441 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One or two hotel locations to see best LA sights?

thanks for your help....I will start a new thread with more specific questions relevent for us in a couple of days when I've done a bit more research

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
36 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One or two hotel locations to see best LA sights?

Thank you also to amcsocal!

About the shuttle bus from Anaheim hotels to Universal studios -> it seems to be a new service from what I have read or is it old?

Has anybody heard any feedback on the service, if it is crowded (always full buses?), from which hotels does it leave (only the expensive Disney hotels?), etc. and is it very important to reserve a space early on the shuttle?

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One or two hotel locations to see best LA sights?

Hi dersi,

The service just started this year. Here is more info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k605368…

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One or two hotel locations to see best LA sights?

Just some more info from the Universal Studios website:

…universalstudios.com/hollywood/website/vi_f…

10. Re: One or two hotel locations to see best LA sights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, August 16, 2009