We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to LA weather please

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to LA weather please

Hi

My family are travelling to LA in July for a week then on to Hawaai for another 10 days then back thru San Fran for 4 days. This is so exciting for us as we've never done the west coast before.

I'm thinking of booking our flights on or around the 18th July and returning to the uk on or around the 1st august.

Can anyone who knows give me the weather conditions in LA in mid July please? Ive heard it can get foggy :( we want to spend a good bit of our time on the beach so Im hoping it will be warm and clear mostly.

Thanks

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,240 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to LA weather please

It should be warm and sunny. If there is any fog along the coast at that time of July it would be lasting for a very short time, perhaps burning off about 9 or so.

It will most likely be quite warm as you go further inland, perhaps 29 C to 38 C

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to LA weather please

Not especially likely to get ground fog, though possible. Morning overcast / grey cloud conditions at the beaches is possible as well but this tends to stop before mid-July (see "May Gray" / "June Gloom" on Google). Generally late morning through the end of the day in LA is going to be good beach weather in July. Honestly its good you are going to go to LA first before Hawaii since beaches here and the weather can't really quite compare - you'd be disappointed in LA beaches if you were here after Hawaii. In fact, if you are not really interested in seeing the non-beach attractions in LA, I'd suggest less time in LA and more in Hawaii if you can swing it.

UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to LA weather please

oh I have a 16yr old child who is desperate to see Hollywood, and we are keen to also see the sights of LA too. Which is the prettiest part of the coast in the area?

Edited: 4:26 pm, March 31, 2014
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to LA weather please

Without going too far, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach. Malibu pretty too but limited lodging options there.

UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to LA weather please

yes I was attracted by Santa Monica and of course teenager wants to go to Venice Beach !

Could you give me some advise on the most central place to stay to see the touristy bits in LA please. We want a fairly good quality hotel.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,431 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to LA weather please

What is your budget per night in US$

Will you be renting a car (recommended for LA)?

Read up a bit on Venice first, it has gotten a little rundown and gritty lately.

UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to LA weather please

about $160 per night

So huntingdon beach ? would that be better than Venice beach? if no which beach is best in the area?

thanks

UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to LA weather please

probably wont hire a car in LA hubby wont drive and I certainly don't want to

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time to LA weather please

Even though Hawaii has better beaches, deep blue skies and ocean, there is nothing like the vibe of a CA beach town. Teens love it. Locals and tourist are out riding bikes along the 22 mile bike path from Redondo Beach in the south to Santa Monica in the north. They are walking along the Strand, the cement pathway next to the bike path, surfers and volleyball players are located near town piers like Hermosa and Manhattan. Santa Monica has Third Street Promenade for more shopping.

We need to know your budget in $USD for a quality hotel.

Which Hawaiian island are you going to? Have you booked a hotel?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,928 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time to LA weather please

What an exciting trip you have planned! If there is any lingering fog at that time of year, it generally burns off by about 9:00 am, so no worries there. Centrally located tends to be Hollywood, especially if you are relying on mass transit to get around. It could take about an hour to get to Santa Monica or Venice from there.

I think the prettiest part of the beach areas are in Malibu, but the sights from Santa Monica beach - the pier with ferris wheel and the pretty curve of the bay, are beautiful as well.

Poor, poor Venice Beach! Each year at this time, we are told how the city of LA will make improvements, and they just don't seem to pan out. I recommend you start from Santa Monica when visiting with children. You can rent bikes here and ride to Venice Beach along the beach bike path, which I recommend. It often does not suit families with kids; that way, you get a look, but don't have to linger if it feels too gritty or weird. There's a distinct drug culture there that most parents don't wish to share with their youngsters. Santa Monica, on the other hand, is a terrific place for children of all ages.