We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in LA

Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
A day in LA

I am a sole female traveller (aged 20) flying from Auckland to San Fran, then from LAX to London. I am thinking of getting an overnight Greyhound bus from San Fran to LA arriving early in the morning in LA. I do not have to fly until 4pm, (need to be there 2/3 hours before so 1pm).

Therefore I have about 5 hours to do something in LA. I'd really like to see just one thing, whether it be the Hollywood Boulevard or Venice beach.

Has anyone got any suggestions of:

1. How I can spend my time?

2. The best method of getting around and to the airport?

Bear in mind I will have multiple bags so extensive walking isn't really an option!! Thanks!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,579 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in LA

Why not just fly from SF to LA?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,433 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in LA

I'm with Elle. You have only a partial day in the second-largest city in the U.S., why waste it on a bus? Add to that, you'll have a miserable sleep on the bus followed by 16 hours on a plane. Besides, where will you stow your luggage on the last day if you take a bus?

Do yourself a favor: fly in to L.A. the night before. Southwest,com has cheap flights from OAK to BUR and LAX in L.A. Get a cheap hotel for the overnight and start early on your last day, Once we know what specific sites you want to visit, we can advise regarding getting around L.A.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in LA

Maybe? Possibly not enough time... http://www.bikesandhikesla.com

Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in LA

Thanks, I have just looked at this and am thinking it is a better option, then I can also store luggage at the airport if I wish for as little as $10!

So from the airport, what's the best way to get around? What could I see in 5 hours without paying a fortune!?

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,011 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day in LA

Fly Southwest to LAX. See if you can stay at the International Hostel in Santa Monica; Santa Monica is not very far from the airport. Do all your sightseeing within walking distance of the hostel. It is one of the best-located accomodations in LA and there is so much to see within a short walk of the hostel. Spend your day sightseeing near the beach, walking on the pier, relaxing in the sand, riding a bike along the path on the beach to Venice, shopping and dining on Main Street or near the Hostel or along the 3rd Street Promenade.

hiusa.org/california/los-angeles/santa-monica

Greyhounds are pretty hideous, and the stations are worse. It won't cost much more to fly.

Edited: 8:09 pm, March 24, 2014
6. Re: A day in LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 26, 2015