We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel to Hotel LA to San Diego

Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel to Hotel LA to San Diego

What is the easiet way for my husband and I to get from Crowne Plaza Airport LA to Holiday Inn Bayside San Diego?

Looking at bus, but how long does it take?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,615 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel to Hotel LA to San Diego

Hi and welcome to the forums.

The easiest way would be to rent a car and drive but it doesn't sound like you have planned to do that. The drive without traffic would be about 2 hrs. The Holiday Inn Bayside is not the best spot to be in to visit San Diego without a car. You will be relying on buses or taxis to get you around to sights. I suppose that since they offer a free shuttle to the train station (which is in downtown SD) that you might use that to get to tours and other sights . You might consider taking the train from LA to San Diego and then letting the shuttle pick you up to take you to the hotel.

The train takes about 3hrs. and is a pleasant ride. I think you'd need to take a taxi from your LA airport hotel to get to the LA train station but I'll let the LA folks deal with that issue.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel to Hotel LA to San Diego

To take the train you need to make your way to Union Station in downtown LA. You have a few choices on how to do this - a taxi directly from your hotel is going to be about $45. You may also want to try one of the shared van companies who can take you to Union Station - www.primetimeshuttle.com or www.supershuttle.com - about $16 per person most likely but perhaps a bit more. The third option is to take your hotel's shuttle back to the terminals at LAX. Head downstairs to the arrival level and from there take the FlyAway bus to Union Station for $8 per person.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel to Hotel LA to San Diego

Yikes, forgot that you might also try www.luxbusamerica.com - they have hotel to hotel shuttle service between LA and San Diego - I think they drop at the Holiday Inn Bayside (on their site they list Holiday Inn On The Bay - I suspect that is the same?) and in LA while they do not pick up at the LAX Crowne Plaza, they do pick up from the LAX Hilton which is walkable from the Crown Plaza - not a short walk especially with luggage, but do-able. Ultimately may not be much faster than taking the train, but would save you the need to get a bus to Union Station and switch to the train there.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,615 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel to Hotel LA to San Diego

NO actually the Holiday Inn on the Bay is now the Wyndham Bayside.

The Holiday Inn Bayside is different BUT your Holiday Inn has a free shuttle to the train station which is right by the Wyndham so you can take the luxbus and then have the shuttle pick you up from 1 block away at the train station.

Edited: 6:55 pm, March 12, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel to Hotel LA to San Diego

Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel to Hotel LA to San Diego

Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel to Hotel LA to San Diego

With the taxi or shuttle it seems a bit pricey maybe I'll look at bus from another pick up. Thanks tho

8. Re: Hotel to Hotel LA to San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, March 17, 2015