We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getty Centre. Getty Villa and to Santa Barbara in one day?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Getty Centre. Getty Villa and to Santa Barbara in one day?

Getting into LAX early on the red-eye from Australia in early August. Last time we came we missed the museums in Los Angeles and this time we really want to soak it up. What are the time factors and do-ability in a thorough viewing of the Getty Centre, and then the Getty Villa and maybe making it to Santa Barbara for dinner? We have been up the Ventura Highway to Santa Barbara and Solvang previously and have come again. What a wonderful world it is there. Can we seriously do both museums in one day and still make it to Santa Barbara for dinner - what are your suggestions?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Getty Centre. Getty Villa and to Santa Barbara in one day?

I am not impressed by the Getty Center, but did like the Villa...

But after a long flight, I might just drive to Santa Barbara, and see how I feel and what time it is, and if in the mood (and it is early enough), just check out the Santa Barbara Museum of Art.

http://www.sbmuseart.org/

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,242 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Getty Centre. Getty Villa and to Santa Barbara in one day?

I could spend an entire day at the Getty Center in Brentwood - just wandering the gardens can take an hour or so, depending on the person. The Villa is about 2 hours to see. It's actually quite easy to do both in one day.

However, after a long flight, and with disorienting jet lag, I would not want to drive two hours to Santa Barbara, particularly not after visiting two museums, first.

Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Getty Centre. Getty Villa and to Santa Barbara in one day?

Wow, fantastic responses from you all. Sutter's suggestion has got me thinking and I will investigate seeing the Villa exhibitions on the way up to Santa Barbara and will follow up by doing the Getty Centre when we return from San Francisco inland a few weeks later. Byzantine exhibition? really!! I have read all three histories of the Byzantine Empire by Lord Norwich for recreation - this is so up my street.

We are thinking that you are all correct in that we will both be very tired after our flight. Wifey has confessed to me that she would actually like to have a look at some Bling and shops in Hollywood (much to my disgust) so we may well book a night in LA first up - then rent the car and head up the Coast via the Villa the next day. How does that sound to all?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Getty Centre. Getty Villa and to Santa Barbara in one day?

Ok except the better shopping areas are in West Hollywood, Beverly Grove and Beverly Hills. Hollywood is not one of the better shopping areas in LA, though there is some shopping there.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,242 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Getty Centre. Getty Villa and to Santa Barbara in one day?

Not very good shopping in Hollywood, as MachThree says. I suggest booking a night in West Hollywood or Santa Monica (close to both Getty Museums), and spending your day on foot walking and shopping and getting a meal or two.

I like the idea of one Getty on one side of your trip, and the other Getty on the other side of your trip.

16. Re: Getty Centre. Getty Villa and to Santa Barbara in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 06, 2015