We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel to pick....

Sunshine Beach...
6 posts
Save Topic
Which hotel to pick....

Hey, I need some guidance from some experienced travelers.

My partner (24) and I (21) are planning a trip to Hollywood area and Las Vegas at the start of the August. We're planning to stay 6 or 7 nights in LA, we had originally had thought of staying at Crowne Plaza Beverly Hills as we didn't want to stay in Hollywood. But reading the reviews I don't think it would suit us as we won't have a car. We're looking at doing Universal Studios, a day trip to Disneyland, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Hop off hop on bus tour and other touristy things. We come from Queensland so we're not too interested in checking out the beaches as we live like 15 minutes away from some of the nicest beaches in Australia.

We would ideally like somewhere that's 4 stars, around $250 a night, maybe in West Hollywood or just in between Beverly Hills and Hollywood on Sunset Strip if that's a good area or what that area's even called I would ideally like somewhere that has restaurants and shops within walking distance. Not fussed about hotels pools, would be a bonus though if breakfast was included.

I really just need a few suggestions because right now I'm feeling really confused!!

Oh and just one more thing if we go at the start of August will we be coming during school holidays?

Edited: 11:46 pm, March 01, 2014
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel to pick....

OK, in the Hollywood area, sounds like the Magic Castle Hotel might meet your budget and requests for free breakfast (and low cost parking). A lower price option is the Orchid Suites. Both are highly rated here at TA and gets lots of positive reviews.

Peak Summer Vacation for most students in the USA is mid-June to mid-August, so yes, you will be coming during peak summer break.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel to pick....

Magic Castle and Orchid Suites are both well located for public transit, but as mentioned the OP does not want to stay in Hollywood, and neither Magic Castle or Orchid Suites are 4-star hotels, not even close.

If you are willing to stay in Hollywood (which can make sense due to its good public transit and its a big tour bus hub) you might instead want to see if you can get the Loew's Hollywood or the Hollywood Roosevelt at a price that works for you.

Otherwise, I would price hotels in downtown LA which has good public transit links to Hollywood, Universal and Disneyland, and you can board the Hop-on/Hop-Off tour in downtown if you want, or take the subway to Hollywood and board it there. Hotels to look at include the Omni, Biltmore, Hilton Checkers.

Public transit in the West Hollywood / Beverly Hills area (or the area in between them which is called Beverly Grove) will work but won't be quite as convenient for the places that you mentioned. Hotels you can check out would include the Sofitel in Beverly Grove area (across the street from the massive Beverly Center mall and lots of restaurants in walking distance), or in West Hollywood you could also try to find a hotel but a 4-star in West Hollywood for around $250 might be pushing it but check The London, Mondrian, Sunset Tower, Andaz, Chateau Marmont and see if any are available for a price that works for you.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,631 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel to pick....

As you specified 4 star hotels at $250 night - these are my recommendations, and they echo my esteemed colleague, MachThree: Sofitel, Mondrian, London, Roosevelt, Loews Hollywood, in that order.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel to pick....

In that price range, first week of August,I don't see many 4 stars. it looks like you have Maison 140, Luxe Sunset Blvd, The Avalon, Petit Ermitage, maybe Hotel Angeleno. Definitely don't stay in Hollywood, it's hot and nasty in August. Go as far west as possible, just factor in some time on the bus. Or save some bucks and stay at the basic/clean Comfort Inn Santa Monica, use your savings to rent a car.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel to pick....

Take a look downtown. If you're without a car, downtown is at the center of the public transit system. Downtown is really lively now. Last summer, I snagged the JW Marriott at LA Live for less than $200/night. Take a look at the new Ace Hotel.

Use the various travel sites to look for deals. I didn't have to look very hard.

HTH

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,719 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel to pick....

Mach's and Elle's recs are great. I'd also include:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d84561-R…

in the Beverly Grove area.

7. Re: Which hotel to pick....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 04, 2015