We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in la area with wife and 2 year old daughter

Dowagiac, Michigan
6 posts
Save Topic
5 days in la area with wife and 2 year old daughter

Visiting la area looking for a safe central location for all the tourist attractions. Hotel budget around 175-200 a night. Any suggestions?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 5 days in la area with wife and 2 year old daughter

With a rental car, you are looking at least 2 days of driving (the distance between LA and San Francisco is over 500 miles, and more if you opt for the Coastal Scenic Drive), with the time you have, I would just focus on Southern California, and then visit the San Francisco area on another trip.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 5 days in la area with wife and 2 year old daughter

>>>so I guess my question is it worth trading any of the other three days, for three days in S.F. Instead?<<<

ha ha, not really. It is a bit like saying, "I'm going to be in Detroit, but my wives friends tell her she need to get a mint julip from Louisville, KY".

San Francisco is 400 miles north and six hours minimum drive time the "fast way". The scenic way, using Highway 1, is closer to a 10-12 hour drive and needs an overnight stay on the way. You have a lot of driving with a 2 year old already. I'd table SF and NorCal for a later time.

Dowagiac, Michigan
6 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: 5 days in la area with wife and 2 year old daughter

How about staying around Manhattan beach or hermosa beach, how is the area, the hotels on the ocean seem to be a lot cheaper down there. Is it worth the traveling back and for to the L.a. Area for a few days.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,719 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 5 days in la area with wife and 2 year old daughter

Manhattan Beach is just outside of the city of L.A. -- it would be considered 'the metro L.A. area'. The Sea View Inn is a great value, there. Yes, you'll have to do some additional driving into and out of L.A. (add about an hour round trip, each day) but, as you said, you'll save some money and Manhattan Beach is a quiet, residential community on the ocean. Very relaxing.

15. Re: 5 days in la area with wife and 2 year old daughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 05, 2015