We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January Trip Report with Teen and NHL Outdoor Game

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
34 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
January Trip Report with Teen and NHL Outdoor Game

I had come on here a few months back asking about hotels, car rentals and some tourist activities, so thought I'd provide a recap of our 5 day stay in LA.

Rented a car at Enterprise (easy) and we ended up staying the whole 4 nights at the Hotel Palomar in Westwood (rather than splitting up the stay into 2 nights at different locations). I thought the hotel was in a great location for us (extremely walkable to UCLA and all the restaurants and shops in Westwood Village) as well as convenient for us to travel into H'wood, downtwown, Santa Monica, Magic Mountain. The hotel was nice, but with 2 double beds it was cramped for the three of us since I haven't slept in a double bed with my husband since college! The parking fee $35 plus tax per day was also steep and there weren't other options close by. The nightly complimentary wine hour was nice.

On arrival, we headed to H'wood, Walk of Fame, In & Out Burger. It seemed quite run down and you couldn't walk a block without getting accosted by bus drivers wanting to get you on their bus-to-the-stars tour. My son wanted to do the Guiness Museum of World Records - so we did, knowing full well it would disappoint (us adults). It lived up to that expectation and the son agreed.

The next day we headed into downtown to go to the LA Kings/Anaheim Ducks Outdoor Hockey Game at Dodger Stadium. Got there early so wandered around Elysian Park before heading to the pre-game festivities. The whole day/night was incredible (even though the kings lost), but we had great seats, and enjoyed being in that one-of-a-kind atmosphere!

Next day was off to Magic Mountain as this was on my son's bucket list of theme parks. It was a Sunday in january, so the lines were not long at all and we did almost all that we wanted. Some excellent rides (X2 in particular). Overpriced food/drink - nothing unique to MM.

Next day we had our scheduled UCLA tour, so just walked from the hotel. This was great for getting my son thinking about colleges in the future, but the campus is beautiful and loved hearing about former students, filming locations and architecture. After lunch, we headed down to Santa Monica for the afternoon - walking on the beach, to the pier, 3rd street promenade. Had dinner there before heading back.

Went for a morning run around Westwood then had coffee with an old friend. Had a few hours to kill before heading to the airport so we went over to the LA Police Museum (sadly it was closed because they were filming) so went to the LA Police Academy (where they filmed the movies) and had a very good lunch in their mess hall. Headed to the LA Farmer's Market (loved it! Similar to Pike Place in Seattle) and wandered around before heading to the airport.

It was a great city and trip, people were really friendly and customer service oriented. The only things we would do different would be to better plan our meals (we had some duds) and take then next day off before heading back to work/school!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January Trip Report with Teen and NHL Outdoor Game

Nice report. I love the Kimpton chain, but agree that the double bed thing is a problem in much of LA.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,493 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January Trip Report with Teen and NHL Outdoor Game

Thanks so much for checking back with us. I never thought of visiting the LA Police Museum or Academy, it sounds fun.

UCLA is really beautiful. My son went to tennis camp a few summers in high school and it did get him thinking about college! For other visitors interested in the area, at the edge of the campus is a small botanical garden. It's a nice, shady place for a walk.

http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/

Another fine Westwood attraction is the Hammer Museum:

http://hammer.ucla.edu/

Planning meals is a traveler's nightmare sometimes! We've got some terrific food, but there are plenty of mediocre restaurants, too. I think Westwood restaurants skew towards cheap and fast, for the college students, so don't often consider it for a nice meal, but there are some great winners nearby, one of my favorites being the Shamshiri, a Persian restaurant on Westwood Blvd.

http://shamshiri.com/

The street hawkers in Hollywood and Venice Beach are a terrible nuisance. I'm sick of being interrupted by them and often wear headphones attached to nothing if I think I'm going to be in that environment. I recommend you not make eye contact or even acknowledge them.

3. Re: January Trip Report with Teen and NHL Outdoor Game

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, February 05, 2015