We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern California trip with family

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
7 posts
Save Topic
Southern California trip with family

We are planning a trip to Southern California in mid July (from NC)...My husband and I (I'm from Cali, the rest of my family has never been), our 17, 14 and 4 year old daughters. We will be in San Diego for 3 days (that part of trip planned). Sunday evening through Friday we want to be in LA, Orange areas. Plans not written in stone except Disneyland one day. Rest of the days will be touristy things. The girls want to see Hollywood, Santa Monica Pier, Beverly Hills, etc. Would really like to stay in same hotel or change only one time. I believe we have enough Hilton points for a tleast 4 nights. Need some suggestions on which Hiltons to stay in. Any and all suggestions welcome.

I haven't been back to So Cal in over a decade. Don't know when we will be able to come back as a family so trying to make this a great trip for all of us. :)

Thank you!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,069 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern California trip with family

As you know, Anaheim is about a 45 minute drive from most popular areas in Los Angeles metro -- Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Hollywood -- (longer during 'rush hours'). So, you have only 2 choices:

a. Head from San Diego to Anaheim early in the morning, park at Disneyland as soon as it opens, spend the day there and head to Los Angeles when you're done with Disneyland (which means a 45-minute drive after a LOOOONG day). This would be my preference as I wouldn't opt to 'stay late' to see the fireworks and world of color: 12 hours at Disneyland would be plenty without those! (You may feel differently).

Alternatively, you could...

b. Include a hotel in Anaheim either the night before you visit Disneyland, the night at the end of your day at Disneyland -- or both. Only you will know what's best for your family.

As far as staying in Los Angeles is concerned, most hotels will not accommodate more than 4 persons in a room so we've put together a list of hotels that will. Here it is:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c172178/Los-An…

In that list, the Hilton properties I'm seeing are:

a. The Hampton Inn in Burbank

b. Doubletree Suites in Santa Monica

There may be others!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern California trip with family

The Hilton Anaheim is a great property, with a nice new water play area for kids, and close to Disneyland.

South of Disneyland in nearby Garden Grove is the Hilton Garden Inn, a more basic Hotel, but comes with a nice free breakfast, and would require less points.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,908 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern California trip with family

Because of 5 people you have limited options in the Hilton family; limited, but not bad.

Besides the The Hampton Inn in Burbank and Doubletree Suites in Santa Monica mentioned above, you can also look at the Doubletree Suites Downtown LA in Little Tokyo (formerly the New Otani Los Angeles).

Given that you seem to be spending more time at LA sights than OC sights, an LA hotel would be my first rec, but you can look at the Anaheim Hilton and Doubletree Suites Anaheim/Garden Grove as well.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern California trip with family

Here's some stuff you should consider visiting if you haven't been in LA for over a decade.

Getty Center in Brentwood

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d14…

Grammy Museum at LA Live

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d17…

California Science Center & Natural History Museum

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d10…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d10…

Farmer's Market & The Grove (adjacent to each other)

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d21…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d54…

Walt Disney Concert Hall & Cathedral

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d25…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d25…

Historic LA

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d20…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g32655-d3647…

HTH

Edited: 5:10 pm, January 29, 2014
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
227 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern California trip with family

Think about staying in Fullerton or Torrance it's central enough to get to OC and LA with a reasonable time and you won't break the bank by staying next door to Disney. LA Hollywood BH would most likely be more entertaining to your older kids

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southern California trip with family

Hilton Garden Inn in Hollywood would work best with that itinerary probably, but Hollywood can get pretty hot and -ahem-smoggy in July, August and September. So I'd vote for Doubletree Santa Monica/

7. Re: Southern California trip with family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, February 01, 2015