We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Titta Inn - 5533 Huntington Dr N, Los Angeles - Safe area?

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Topic
Titta Inn - 5533 Huntington Dr N, Los Angeles - Safe area?

Visiting LA area for week . Planning to stay at Titta Inn. I chose the hotel for the price. Is this neighborhood relatively safe?

Titta Inn - 5533 Huntington Dr N, Los Angeles

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Titta Inn - 5533 Huntington Dr N, Los Angeles - Safe area?

:Putting aside safety for the moment, geographically this hotel is not well located with respect to most tourist attractions. If you would, share with us your hotel budget per night and if possible the exact dates of your stay, and with any luck we can recommend somewhere in a more central and safe area that would be more convenient.

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Titta Inn - 5533 Huntington Dr N, Los Angeles - Safe area?

Thanks for your response. Mar 1st - 8th. The most I would want to spend is $75 night (rather spend the money during the day rather then when I'm sleeping). Planning to rent a car.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but is a "well located" hotel 15 minutes from most attractions? vs Titta Inn to be 30-45min?

I'm in the beginning stages of planning. I would like possible visit these locations.

-Venice Beach

-Walk of Fame

-Hollywood Sign

-Universal Studios

-Jimmy Kimmel

-San Diego??

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Titta Inn - 5533 Huntington Dr N, Los Angeles - Safe area?

OK, the Hollywood and Highland area has much of what you want to do. Walk of Fame, Hollywood Sign, Jimmy Kimmel and Universal Studios.

With a rental car, Venice Beach would be a reasonable drive. San Diego can be a 2+ hour drive each way (or you could opt to use the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Train to have a relaxful trip).

The Travelodge in Hollywood is coming in at $76 a day plus taxes, comes with free parking, and a very basic breakfast.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77282-R…

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,423 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Titta Inn - 5533 Huntington Dr N, Los Angeles - Safe area?

Are you traveling alone? If not, how many beds do you need?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Titta Inn - 5533 Huntington Dr N, Los Angeles - Safe area?

In your case it would make a lot more sense to stay in Hollywood - you'd be a bit closer to Venice Beach and except for San Diego, all of the other things that you mentioned are right there (Walk of Fame, Hollywood Sign, Jimmy Kimmel) or quite close by (Universal Studios, only a few miles away) - its also a lot closer to Venice Beach than Titta Inn. San Diego is going to be around 2 to 2 1/2 hours each way no matter where you stay in the central LA area.

If you are going to want to visit other attractions, most of them are in or west of downtown LA. From Titta suites that means 15+ mile drives through downtown LA (the center of LA's notoriously heavy traffic) to reach most of them. Hollywood is already west of downtown LA so more in the middle of it all.

I suggest checking Kayak.com for hotels near Hollywood on your dates - use Hollywood, CA for the location and limit the search to a 5 mile radius - the closer to the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave., the better the location. They're showing the Hollywood Budget Inn on your dates for $60. There are a few other properties in the $75-100 range. Its up to you of course but even spending a few more dollars to be a bit closer and avoiding longer drives is well worth it, in my opinion. I also see Hotel De Flores in Beverly Hills for $68 on these dates - it looks quite basic but its a good location.

You might also want to try a name your own price or blind hotel site like Priceline or Hotwire.com - these sites you don't get to know the specific hotel, only the general area that its in, before you've locked yourself in to paying for it, but you can often get very good deals this way. I would try these sights too and post what you find at www.betterbidding.com's forums to see if you can find out the exact hotel beforehand.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,557 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Titta Inn - 5533 Huntington Dr N, Los Angeles - Safe area?

Do you really want to spend 2-3 hours in your car getting to (and back from) the places you want to see, while on vacation? Seems to me money well spent to find a different hotel- one that spares you this wasted time in your day of sightseeing, by being in a better location.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,939 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Titta Inn - 5533 Huntington Dr N, Los Angeles - Safe area?

If you are from a rural area of Alaska you will be amazed at the amount of traffic in LA ! The time it can take from one side of the city to another can be quite annoying!!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Titta Inn - 5533 Huntington Dr N, Los Angeles - Safe area?

Warning on Priceline/Hotwire, many of the Hotels you get will have extra charges such as parking and other service. So looking for an low end Hotel, I would rather pick my own to make sure you get things like free parking and free WiFi, and no surprises.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Titta Inn - 5533 Huntington Dr N, Los Angeles - Safe area?

Well since no one actually answered your question, yes, the area is fairly safe (border of El Sereno and Alhambra), near South Pasadena. Middle class Latino and Asian, mostly.

It is only about 6 miles to Union Station, downtown Los Angeles, maybe 15 minutes drive. From there, you can use the Red Line to Hollywood, takes about 15 to 30 minutes. So the alarmists about how you are driving 2 hours to everything are way off base.

Now whether it is the best you can do for your budget, that is another matter. But it isn't a disaster.

Edited: 1:09 pm, January 04, 2014
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Titta Inn - 5533 Huntington Dr N, Los Angeles - Safe area?

No, the "alarmists" are not off base. Specifically it was mentioned that 2-3 hours driving to and from - that is not at all unrealistic from that area to Venice.