We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas/Fuel prices for our Californian road trip?

Preston, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Gas/Fuel prices for our Californian road trip?

Me and my friend have hired a Mustang to take us from Las Vegas to San Francisco to LA to San Diego and back to Vegas. Does anybody have any idea how much this would cost in gas?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,237 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gas/Fuel prices for our Californian road trip?

AAA has a fuel calculator: http://fuelcostcalculator.aaa.com/

Gas Buddy will show the places with the cheapest gasoline. Pay attention to prices. The price can vary by as much as a dollar per gallon in remote areas (inside Yosemite NP for example.)

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,188 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gas/Fuel prices for our Californian road trip?

When will you be doing this trip? Gas is now about $3.5 per gallon, but will probably go up in the summer months. Assuming the Mustang gets 20 miles per gallon (a bit generous), you can do your own calculation.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,079 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gas/Fuel prices for our Californian road trip?

There are many different models of Mustang -- each with different engines that use different amounts of gas. IMO, hiring a Mustang for this drive is a poor choice since the car will be used in 2 ways:

a. Riding along the freeways (motorways) which will be, for the most part, an unattractive experience with lots of wind, dust/sand and sunlight (if you're driving during the day) as well as 'wind noise' -- even if the top is up.

b. Driving from one hotel to the next on the Las Vegas Strip which is often 'slow going' due to the multitude of others doing the same thing.

c. If you stop for lunch or to tour or for a rest during the drives between L.A. and LV, park the car in a place that you can see it as it's likely that the boot will be too small for all of your luggage (the convertible top uses part of the boot space). As a result, there is a possibility that someone could cut into the canvas top and take your possessions if your car is in a car park out of view.

The best way to use a Mustang is in a low-speed environment with lots of views. If it were me, I'd get a conventional car for the drives and hire a Mustang for a day to experience it.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,733 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gas/Fuel prices for our Californian road trip?

Most of the Mustangs I have seen for standard rental fleet are wimpy with low HPs. It was such a let down the few times we did that. My guess is the gas mileage for the standard fleet 'Stang is no worse than any other similar sized rental.

Edited: 1:09 pm, January 03, 2014
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gas/Fuel prices for our Californian road trip?

You may want to check with the rental company as to what sort of gasoline your Mustang will need. Many models of Mustang require premium (91 Octane) gasoline, which is usually around $0.30 or so higher per gallon than regular gas.

In any case, gas costs vary a lot both by area and over time (i.e prices three days from now could rise or fall 10% or so, though they haven't been changing that quickly lately). Using Google Maps default routes for driving between these cities, you'd be driving around 1400 miles (excluding any driving within the cities). If you get 20 miles per gallon, that's about 70 gallons of gas. I'd figure an average cost of $3.75 per gallon, which means you'd be looking at something like $260.

6. Re: Gas/Fuel prices for our Californian road trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 05, 2015