We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation area for a short stay.

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation area for a short stay.

We fly into LA from the Pacific Isles for a 3 base Californian stay (LA/S.Diego/S.Fransisco) before returning home to the UK.

Arrive midday Sunday early April for 3nts (although I havent ruled out the departure by train to S Diego late Tuesday so only 2nts).

So far TOH wants to do the Stars home tours and I am keen on seeing the Getty Museum-closed Mondays (What extremes of culture! or maybe not!!).

Is there an obvious area of LA that we should search for a hotel that would be the best base for getting to both and fits in with our short stay arrival LAX- Union Station departure? I am just getting my head around the boundaries for Central LA/Beverly Hills/West Hollywood/Santa Monica as choices.

If not my preference would be for an area that has a local/neighbourhood feel.

I am using multiple sources including the other threads to the right about the areas of LA, travel books too but any obvious area that would occur to the experts would be time saving and much appreciated.

Thanks ahead of replies

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,026 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation area for a short stay.

Are you planning to have a car? What would be your budget for the hotel, per night?

If no car, then you're likely looking at either two buses to Hollywood, or two to the Getty. The only hotel I can think of that's (sort of) only one bus ride away from both places would be the Hotel Angelino. Metro Bus 761 stops next to it and goes to the Getty, which is a short distance from there. Metro Bus 302 on Sepulveda Blvd. can take you east to Sunset Blvd. and Highland Ave., leaving a walk of about 1/2 mile to the touristy center of Hollywood where all the tours leave from, at Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave. Bus 302 also goes almost (but not quite) all the way to Union Station, leaving a short walk to get there.

The downside of the Angelino is that its not in a walkable area, and its also right next to the freeway where there's a large, ongoing construction project that may lead to noise in the hotel, even at night. So its not the greatest place to be without a car, though you could take bus 761 into Westwood which is quite walkable with lots of restaurants, or take a short taxi ride to Westwood as well.

Beyond that, if we give up the idea of a single bus ride to both places, then there are more possibilities. Hollywood itself near Hollywood / Highland would be a walk down to Sunset Blvd. to get bus 302 back over near the Angelino where you can switch to bus 761 for the Getty. And then you would just walk to Hollywood / Highland for the tour that you want to do. For Union Station, you can take the Red Line subway from Hollywood / Highland all the way there. This area of Hollywood has a lot of restaurants, is quite touristy, and has a lot of hotels that span a range of prices - on the low end, Hollywood Celebrity Hotel, Motel 6 on Whitley Ave., Liberty Hotel, Orchid Suites. Above that, some choices are Magic Castle Hotel, Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame, Hilton Garden Inn Hollywood, the Hollywood Roosevelt and Loew's Hollywood.

If you were to stay in Westwood, you could take bus 761 straight to the Getty. To get to Hollywood, Metro Bus 720 east on Wilshire Blvd. to Fairfax Ave., and from there bus 217 or 780 north on Fairfax Ave. which will eventually take you to Hollywood / Highland. For Union Station, Metro Bus 720 east on Wilshire Blvd. to the subway station at Wilshire Blvd. and Western Ave. There you can take the Purple Line subway straight to Union Station. Hotels in Westwood include the Kimpton Palomar, the Hilgard House and the "W" Westwood.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,253 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation area for a short stay.

What is your budget per night and will you have a car?

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation area for a short stay.

Hi fellow Posters- thanks for the prompt reply so early on a Saturday morning! -OP

No we will not have a car from LAX or while in town. We will have a lot of baggage though, TOH with 2 suitcases, me with 1 possibly 2. Initial thoughts were to use "shared minibus" for transfer from the airport. If necessary we would pay for taxis and thought our departure from the hotel to Union Train station would have to be this way.

While we are in town we would have no problem with using bus, metro, taxi- usual balance trade off between time and cost.

Accommodation wise say maximum $300 including all taxes per day for room but nice if we can get a good deal/a bit lower ($225) by searching the web sites.

Hope this helps your thoughts. Cheers

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,255 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation area for a short stay.

The Getty is almost always 2 (or 3) buses away from hotels in the L.A. Metro area so there's not much one can do about that. As far as an area with a 'local neighborhood feel', I like the "Beverly Grove" (aka Central Los Angeles) neighborhood. Unlike Hollywood which is packed with tourists and souvenir stores and West Hollywood which is largely a 'nightlife area' with 4-star hotels, bars, live music venues, 'better restaurants' and 'better boutique' shops, Beverly Grove is populated by local people who eat and shop there. It's also a very central area.

I'm assuming you know how to look up hotels here on TA. (It's explained in the TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of this page), If not, here's a link to the 'hotel finder' section. To select "Central L.A." (or any other neighborhood), use the 'neighborhood' drop-down menu (at the bottom of the first screen) and select the appropriate areas. You can also select your price range and star-rating of the hotel in this area (at the bottom of the first screen). Be sure to enter your travel dates closer to the top left of the screen in order to see price offers from the hotels.

tripadvisor.com/…-1

For a 3-night stay in April (hotels tend to discount stays of at least 3 nights), you have the following options in Central L.A. in your price range:

1. 4-1/2 star Sofitel hotel and spa -- the best and the most expensive at $250 + 15% room tax.

2. 3-1/2 star Orlando (boutique) hotel -- $250 + tax

3. 3-star Elan (boutique) hotel -- $210 + tax

4. 3-star Farmers Daughter hotel -- informal, former motel with a farm motif -- $166 + tax. At the eastern end of Beverly Grove (1 mile or so east of the other hotels but still in a vibrant area). Frequent buses there to Hollywood (18-20 minutes).

For the first three hotels, you'd need to take a bus from the area around the hotel to the area by the Farmers Market (a few minutes) and transfer to one of the "Hollywood Buses) -- the 217 or 780 buses. Do you know how to find a public transit route by entering starting and ending points? (It's in our TOP QUESTIONS box under "Public transit...").

For the Getty Center, here's some info. There are 2 Gettys -- the "Center" which has contemporary art -- from Medieval times to the present -- and the "Villa" -- ancient art. Your remark that the Getty Center and the Stars Homes Tour are not at different ends of the cultural spectrum is an astute one. Much like the "Wow" factor associated with seeing the mansion of a celebrity, the Getty Center's view and the sheer magnitude of the place doesn't disappoint. Meanwhile, the substance of both worlds has yet to be confirmed.

To reach the Getty from Central L.A., takes 3 short bus rides:

I. From the Farmers Market area...

a. A 3 or 4 minute ride on the 217 or 780 bus southbound along Fairfax Av to Wilshire Bl (or you could walk 15-17 minutes)

b. The #720 Rapid bus westbound on Wilshire to the corner of Wilshire & Westwood Bl (20 minutes)

c. Walk 1 block north on Westwood Bl to the corner of Lindbrook and take the #761 Rapid Bus northbound on Westwood to the Museum (17 min).

Total transfer time about an hour.

II. From the western end of Beverly Grove (near the Sofitel), the transfer instructions are a little bit different... (of course, you could transfer to the Farmers Market, have a look around and then follow the directions above; otherwise:)

a. Take the #105 bus south along La Cienega Bl to Wilshire Bl (4 min) and then do as above:

b. 720 bus westbound to Westwood Bl

c. 761 bus northbound to the museum

Total transfer time -- about 50 minutes.

The transfer costs $1.50 for each bus but you should buy a DAY PASS for $5 since, with the return, there will be a total of 6 bus rides (a total of $9 if you don't have a pass).

If you're heading to the Getty for the views (as most people do), save yourself the time and trouble and pick another, more accessible area of L.A. with a good vantage point. (BTW, in addition to the 3-bus transfer to the Getty Center, you'll need to queue up and ride the inclined rail car 'up the hill' to the Museum grounds. During my recent weekend visit to the museum, the wait plus ride exceeded 30 minutes.

Other places in the metro area with views include Runyon Canyon (Hillside) Park, a 10-15 minute walk from the Chinese Theatre in Central Hollywood where the Star Homes Tour commences, Or hop into a taxi for the 2 or 3 minute ride. Or, see the city from the Griffith Observatory -- a 15 minute taxi ride from central Hollywood (or use public transit which takes a while longer).

If art is your thing, there is lots to choose from. I have recently rediscovered the Huntington Library in San Marino (near Pasadena -- northeast of Hollywood, and not easy to reach by public transit). In addition to spectacular contemporary American and European Art, an impressive research library -- open to the public with dozens of noteworthy artifacts on display including a Gutenburg Bible -- the library grounds are IMMENSE and feature 'themed gardens', the most recent (still in development) being the Chinese Garden which has Chinese pavilions, a lake, a 'moon bridge' and extensive gardens. Dine on one of the decks extending out into the Lake and enjoy the sunshine.

If you're not ready to make the trek to the Huntington, LACMA (LA County Art Museum) is easy to reach from most popular tourist-friendly neighborhoods. (From the Farmers Market area, it is located at the transfer point mentioned above between the 217 or 780 buses which run along Fairfax Av and the 720 which runs along Wilshire Bl). Also, consider the Hammer and Fowler Museums in the Westwood neighborhoods (the Fowler is on the campus of UCLA -- the university).

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation area for a short stay.

Try the Kimpton Palomar in Westwood, about midway and good access to the bus system.

http://www.hotelpalomar-lawestwood.com/

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,255 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation area for a short stay.

I forgot to mention that the Sofitel is often offered at a discount on hotwire.com. Look for the unnamed 4-1/2 star hotel in the "Beverly Hills - West Hollywood area" that has a spa. I just visited the site, and the hotel is being offered for 3 nights from the first Sunday in April for $180. If it were me, I'd take this deal. (Unfortunately, Hotwire.com deals change from moment to that and vary depending on where you're located. Often, a deal I can see on my computer here cannot be seen by Europeans. If that happens to you, you'll need a pal in the U.S. to get the deal for you or you'll have to do something else).

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation area for a short stay.

Thanks folks for the feedback. We've been using the TA hotel review pics, Google Maps street view and of course the hotels own web site to try and come to a decision!!!

Looked at the Sofitel, ok maybe higher starred hotel but a comment on a TA post struck home- "impersonal, chain hotel" this time my heart agrees- well my head sees this huge building with zillions rooms.

Chamberlain- some of the rooms look very nice and larger sizes 550 sqft available although TA post says beware ground floor/basement rooms! Quiet area as residential? but cant therfore expect a shop next door!.10min? walk to Sunset to catch buses but only 1 to Hollwood or the other way to Westwood.

Elan- rooms 28sqm slightly corporate look, front noisy but management offer to locate you at the back. Shops and some activity just outside the door. 2 bus journeys to destinations but not insurmountable.

Basic chamberlain room no BF cheaper than Elan with BF.

Any local opinions on which one should we go for and why?, thanks from the Undecided UK.

Happy new year guys.

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation area for a short stay.

As the OP report back for the help of others who search out this topic.

We went for the Sofitel and were well pleased with the room and the location (review imminent). Yes it was 2 buses to go to Hollywood and we took 3 to go to the Getty (in the latter case we were unlucky in that we waited for ages for the bus in Westwood, never knew why, this can happen with public transport anywhere though). It was also only 1 to go Downtown (got off yards away from the Disney Concert Hall). The buses are doable as an alternative to having a car.

We did like the Beverly Centre/Boulevard area too as for local restaurants (walkable) and general neighbourhood feel (from our room you could see estates of local housing), yet we got to see LA as above (Rodeo Drive etc B Hills also a short bus ride away).

Thanks for the advice from the other posters. Loved LA and would love to come back for several weeks- need to find specific posts for when/where to stay/ and try a car this time (driving on the right!!)

9. Re: Accommodation area for a short stay.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 11, 2015