We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icy weather_driving to Las Vegas

Christchurch, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Icy weather_driving to Las Vegas

Dear TA members,

We are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers. We are arriving in LA on 16th December and planning to spend 6 days in LA. We then drive to Las Vegas on 21st December. Having seen news about icy cold weather, I am concerned about driving condition from LA to LV. Can you please advise whether the roads are open and safe to drive during this cold icy weather. Someone has posted in LA forum that driving from LA to LV as dangerous. Is this true? what sort of danger that we can expect? Any tip or advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks to all of you.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,016 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Icy weather_driving to Las Vegas

We can't predict weather so don't know what the road conditions will be. I've seen it snow on that road, but it's very rare. The road is dangerous because people speed and drive badly - it is not my favorite drive at all. I suggest flying.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
183 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Icy weather_driving to Las Vegas

The odds of snow our ice are insignificant. The road will be open. The danger of this road is way overstated. It is the same as every other interstate highway in America.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,335 posts
6,139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Icy weather_driving to Las Vegas

Will you be driving at night or during the day (better to drive during the day)

In general, you will be fine if during the day

but regardless of when you driev

Check weather forecast in advance

wunderground.com/weather-forecast/US/CA/Bars…

and do watch traffic =there will be a lot and some do drive way too fast for the conditions..

So don't drive if you're tired....

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Icy weather_driving to Las Vegas

You are so smart to ask - but really, I don't think you need to worry. Mini is right - just don't drive as fast as the non-smart crazy people. If there are serious road conditions, CalTrans will alert you. It's cold right now, but not so cold as to interfere significantly with a trip from LA to Vegas.

Mentioned in this post
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,544 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Icy weather_driving to Las Vegas

Im not sure I would call it "dangerous, but we have had a few times where the weather was too bad to travel, so that can happen.

Just a few days ago, although not in the area you would be traveling, In Arizona/Utah area they closed the Virgin River Gorge all the way to Cedar City on the freeway because of Ice and snow conditions which is unheard of for that area. Its a strange year this year, so you never know.

Best advice is to travel in the daytime especially, as you get closer to Las Vegas as that are is pretty desolate with not much service and quite dark. Its also an area that gets more than its share of late night accidents.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Utah
Utah
United States
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Icy weather_driving to Las Vegas

I-15 can be closed down due to heavy snow and ice, last time it did it was late December 2010. As said, you can't predict the weather.

I-15 gets closed more often for serious accidents, especially in the Barstow to Primm, Nevada portion since it is mainly just 2 lanes wide in each direction, so an overturned truck can close down the entire road in one direction.

Pretty much, check the conditions when you arrive.

Mentioned in this post
Nevada
Nevada
United States
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Icy weather_driving to Las Vegas

HI,

If you're electronically connected (smartphone, tablet, etc.), you can check the road conditions on this CALTRANS website:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

As others have mentioned, people speeding will be your biggest problem. And because people speed along the highway, it is frequently patrolled by the police, so watch your own speed.

Zed

8. Re: Icy weather_driving to Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:59 am, December 10, 2013
9. Re: Icy weather_driving to Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 12, 2014