We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in L.A. (Under 21)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in L.A. (Under 21)

We are looking for a place to stay in L.A. from 1st Jan - 4th Jan.

We won't be renting a car and so would like to be as close to the places we want to see. Planning to visit Griffith Park, Universal Studios and Hollywood so thinking of staying in Hollywood.

Our budget is USD200/night and we are staying away from motels. Where is a good place to stay considering we are under 21?

*Did a bit of research and found 'The Hotel Hollywood'. Not sure about check-in age there's a dirt-cheap deal on booking.com for around USD119/night: http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/hollywood-guest-inn.en-us.html?sid=8445366ab54ae7659dd16fc48f93e64b;dcid=1;checkin=2014-01-01;checkout=2014-01-04;pr=0,230;pr_cur_code=AUD;srfid=6ec562f39087755e61bbc46fe610543d36359d6aX1

Thoughts?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in L.A. (Under 21)

Hollywood near the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave., or near Hollywood Blvd. and Vine St. would be your best bets - its both a big public transit and tour bus hub. Universal is one stop away on the subway. By "Griffith Park" you may mean the Griffith Observatory, which is only reachable via public transit on weekends (from Hollywood, its a ride of a few stops on the subway, and then one bus) and its not open at all on Mondays - other days you'd need to take a taxi there.

Unfortunately, a 'proper' hotel in Hollywood is probably going to be more than $200 / night. A lot of places that call themselves "hotels" in Hollywood would be more like motel quality. That would include The Hollywood Hotel, which is in the Hollywood / Vine area. The Hollywood Guest Inn is closer to Hollywood / Highland, and is more of a motel as well - I would not consider that one unless its really a lot cheaper than everything else, but there should be better options for less than $200.

If it were me, in the Hollywood / Highland area and I wanted to stay below $200, I'd look at the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel or Orchid Suites - these are both basically apartment buildings converted into "hotels". The remainder of these properties I suspect will be over $200 but if you can get one for less, I'd prefer any of them - Magic Castle Hotel, Hilton Garden Inn Hollywood, and the Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame.

To really get a 'proper' hotel in the area, including the properties I mentioned at the end of the last paragraph, you may be looking at more like up to $300/nt - Loew's Hollywood, Hollywood Roosevelt I would add to your list if you can stretch your budget that high - they're the two nicest hotels in the Hollywood / Highland area.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,240 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in L.A. (Under 21)

We have stayed at the Orchid Suites, and while not "fancy" it was clean and had a nice kitchenette so that we did not have to go out for breakfast and had a fridge to store snacks, etc. The location for transportation to other parts of the city is excellent.

It is just a few yards walk to the Hollywood/Highland shopping center. (go to the top floor and walk back to a place where you can walk out and have a nice view of the Hollywood sign if that is one of your desires.)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,064 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in L.A. (Under 21)

This old thread may help you with some places that you can for sure check into being under 21:

tripadvisor.com/…35252060

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,079 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in L.A. (Under 21)

Why do you wish to "stay away from motels"?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,079 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in L.A. (Under 21)

Booking.com is offering the following for your dates:

The Hollywood Hotel at 1160 Vermont Av (not to be mistaken with the Hotel Hollywood). $146 per night plus tax (about 15%). This is a 3-star property (real hotel) in the eastern part of Hollywood (5 to 10 minutes to central Hollywood via public transit).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in L.A. (Under 21)

@Puter

Thanks for the recommendations on Hollywood Celebrity Hotel and Orchid Suites. Both look great but unfortunately there are no rooms available for booking in my travel dates (1st-4th Jan). Magic Castle looks to be the best but it's a bit outside my budget.

@HopSkipJump

Sorry I meant to say I want to stay away from 'hostels' not 'motels'. Motels should be fine.

I had a look at Hotel Hollywood and it doesn't seem bad either. But why this and not The Hotel Hollywood at 6364 Yucca St which is cheaper and also closer to the main attractions. Better quality?

I have a few in my list right now that still take bookings (total $ amount including tax):

The Hotel Hollywood - $311

Hollywood Hotel - $453

Magic Castle - $696

The Moment Hotel - $628

Elan Hotel - $691

The bottom 3 are a bit out of my budget but I would like to hear what you guys think. Right now The Hotel Hollywood on Yucca St. seems to have the most value but I'm worried about what I'll be paying for.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,127 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in L.A. (Under 21)

Of your list, the Elan is the nicest hotel, and I prefer that area over Hollywood - immensely nicer.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,064 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in L.A. (Under 21)

I wonder why you want to stay away from hostels??

That's where travelers find each other.

My children at your age both stayed in hostels throughout the world and met some very interesting people that way!

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in L.A. (Under 21)

Best bets on that budget are Days Inn on Sunset next to Hollywood High School, or around the corner at the Quality Inn La Brea. Both are around $120 per night.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,472 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in L.A. (Under 21)

The Hotel Hollywood gets okay reviews on TA (68%).

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d508182-…

If you are okay with very basic, nothing special, but contrast it with the reviews the Elan gets (91%).

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d223041-…