We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Fake" Snow Parks in LA region

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
"Fake" Snow Parks in LA region

Hi all - I've read about the man-made snow activities in Sea World in San Diego - I'm wondering if there is anything closer to LA / Anaheim or even north to Santa Monica that any one knows of during December.

We will have a car. Thank you.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: "Fake" Snow Parks in LA region

I lived in the southern Calif mountains for a number of years. If you are thinking about driving up somewhere to see "real" snow, please check the weather forecast before you set out. If the day is clear and dry you'll most likely be fine. If they are talking about rain and snow - forget it. That is when you will get into trouble.

Wrightwood or Mt Baldy are both fairly close. The road up to Wrightwood is easier with a less steep and winding grade. If you want to go to the ski lift area of Mt Baldy (sometimes the only area with snow), be aware that there are 2 miles of very steep winding 'switchbacks' near the top.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,011 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: "Fake" Snow Parks in LA region

There are a number of places in our nearby mountains that may have "real" snow. If the forecast is clear, and no snowstorms are predicted, you may not need chains. Weather here tends to be predictable several days in advance. Please let us know exactly where you will be staying so we can suggest the easiest, fastest drive.

A couple of easy places to get to that often have snow include:

Mt. Baldy

Mountain High near Wrightwood.

Both of the above have ski slopes.

Edited: 6:13 pm, November 25, 2013
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,011 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: "Fake" Snow Parks in LA region

Missed half-Brit's reply. Like they said. Wrightwood is a really easy drive. I took my kids up there to ski once-- I was dreading the drive on winding mountain roads. I was amazed how easy and straight it was.

Check forecasts to make sure the weather is clear-- and to make sure there is decent snow on the ground, which is not a certainty in December.

Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: "Fake" Snow Parks in LA region

The Queen Mary's Chill has skating, a tube slide and ice sculptures. Universal and Disney may have little artificial snow areas.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: "Fake" Snow Parks in LA region

Universal Studios has a large area with "snow" made from blocks of ice that is finely chipped into "snow" as part of Grinchmas.

universalstudioshollywood.com/grinchmas/…

Also, Universal Citywalk has an ice skating rink.

But I would head to Palm Springs and take the Palm Springs Tramway to the top of Mt. San Jacinto and enjoy real snow. Nice thing, you drive in decent weather, and let the tram take you to snow level. You can also check the snow conditions on their web cam, which can be found below.

http://www.pstramway.com/

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: "Fake" Snow Parks in LA region

As long as the criteria is "anywhere with snow" and not what the OP asked about, why not just drive to Mammoth?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,401 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: "Fake" Snow Parks in LA region

The scene described by Plumeria at Frazier Park is pretty much the same at Wrightwood/Mountain High after a storm dump. Cars lined up for miles. I have turned back around before it was so crazy.

I think not Mammoth since there were discussion of not being comfortable driving with chains.

Mt Jacinto is always a good option. The only downside is the cost of the gondola.

Edited: 4:29 pm, November 30, 2013
18. Re: "Fake" Snow Parks in LA region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, December 31, 2013
19. Re: "Fake" Snow Parks in LA region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 02, 2015