We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tommys/Fat Burger

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
212 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Tommys/Fat Burger

I keep reading suggestions for people to eat at Tommys or Fat Burger--we'll be staying near Hollywood/Highland. I know there's an In n Out Burger a couple of blocks away (in fact I've eaten there) but is there a Tommys or Fat Burger nearby?

Thanks--

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
330 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tommys/Fat Burger

http://www.originaltommys.com/

Hollywood Blvd & 101 Fwy.

fatburger.com/Location/LocationsByState.aspx

Hollywood & Vermont

I prefer Tommy's over Fatburger. Double chili cheesburger with everything! Artery clogger, hmmmmmmm!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,003 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tommys/Fat Burger

I'm a big Tommy's fan,and have been eating them for over 25 years, but you should keep your expectations in check. A Tommy's burger is a greasy (I mean really greasy) chilli burger with a pretty thin burger patty (I get the double burger). Many people don't see the appeal and the immediate area is not interesting (to say the least). However, as a cultural/culinary phenomenon it stands in it's own class.

Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
212 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tommys/Fat Burger

To be honest we virtually never eat fast food at home--but somehow these places seem quintessentially Southern California to me--and they're filling and easy on the budget.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tommys/Fat Burger

Personally, I don't like Tommy's burgers that much, but they're not bad, and they're easily better than In 'N Out. I usually get the chili dogs instead of the burgers. As far as the burgers, I think Fatburger is better than Tommy's. Fuddruckers is pretty good too. But if you're looking for good burgers, there are TONS of places in L.A. that are even better than all of those! ....and still fairly cheap too.

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
699 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tommys/Fat Burger

What makes Tommy's special is the addictively tasty chili spread they use on the burger. They also use it in their tamales and chili fries as well. Otherwise, the burger is very ordinary in my opinion. Also they have big tomato slices there as well and they give you tons of sliced pickles, too--! However they don't use lettuce, if I remember right. If you get the fries, you can get them unsalted on request if you're watching you're sodium intake or don't like your fries too salty. I personally love their tamales (which also come with pickles and tomato) although I don't have them anymore since I became a vegetarian--except one time recently for old-time sake since they are celebrating their 60th anniversary this year. Tommy's website is http://www.originaltommys.com and their original location is on Beverly Blvd. just east of Rampart, not far from Hollywood (about 5 to 10 minutes away by car I think).

Fatburger is one of the best places to get a classic American style hamburger. Nothing fancy, but very well prepared for a fast food place. Their website is http://www.fatburger.com

Another place you might be interested in is Astro Burger across from Paramount Studios on the corner of Melrose and Gower in Hollywood. They have a huge variety of well prepared burgers (including many vegetarian choices) and other fast food options. However, they are on the expensive side for a fast food restaurant. They also have daily vegetarian Greek specials there but I think they use a microwave to heat them. However, I used to get them and they were very tasty especially when you add their vegan mayonnaise to it(a small additional fee). They also have excellent Greek cookies, too! Their website where you can find out more information on them is http://www.astroburger.com

California
Level Contributor
199 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tommys/Fat Burger

kind67 is right on. It is the chile and the thick tomato that makes the Tommy Burger but Fat Burger is the classic. I honestly could not say one is better than the other. They are both great!

Frazier Park...
Level Contributor
451 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tommys/Fat Burger

If you are going to be checking out local favorites, don't forget Carney's on Sunset (chile burgers in an actual train car), and Pink's on La Brea (just north of Melrose). Pink's has the greasiest chili, but there is something so addictive about it. Unfortunately, there is almost always a line...

Southern California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tommys/Fat Burger

Carney's and Pinks are good too, but I much prefer Tommy's chili. Pinks always has a line because the service is SO slow!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
330 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tommys/Fat Burger

Since we are all on this, gotta try the Hat:

http://www.thehat.com/

The best pastrami, burgers, chili cheese fries, wet fries (fries with gravy, the best!)

Hamburger Hamlet (really close to Hollywood & Highland):

www.hamburgerhamlet.com/region.asp?region=1

Interesting enough:

…citysearch.com/bestof/winners/2005/hamburger

Southern California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tommys/Fat Burger

Thank you Tripamaniac!!!! The Hat is one of my favorite places!! In my opinion, hands down....the best chili fries!!!! The best pastramis too!