We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we stay...@LAX? Or Anaheim? Or somewhere else?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we stay...@LAX? Or Anaheim? Or somewhere else?

Hi everyone,

We're heading over from Oz for 6 week trip to US in June 2014, starting in LA for 4 days.

I lived in RI about 20 yrs ago so am very excited to be coming back now with my husband and two kids (7,12).

Am not sure if we should stay at an LAX hotel, or Anaheim which looks cheaper and nicer. Plan is to give us a few days to recover from jet lag before we continue on with our trip, and for my husband to take our little fella to Legoland. I know Legoland is a long way from LA, but after our 14 hour flight from Sydney, and having a daughter with special needs, we can't add a long drive to the journey, probably Anaheim is far as she'll cope with. Thought that at least Anaheim is a little bit closer to Legoland than LAX so bit easier for the boys.

Hubby keen to visit Venice Beach but otherwise we're not planning the usual D/land, U/Studios, H/wood touristy stuff as just need quiet few days with easy access to restaurants and a supermarket (son has allergies so I need to make his food).

Would really appreciate your advice on LAX vs Anaheim or any other suggestions for area to stay. Have done lots of hotel searches but don't know the broader LA area.

Thanks so much xx

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,539 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where should we stay...@LAX? Or Anaheim? Or somewhere else?

The target.com website indicates that this location has groceries:

http://www.target.com/store-locator/search-results?address=garden+grove%2C+ca&x=0&y=0&mapWidth=740&mapHeight=430

A Sig Alert is a report about traffic jams or accidents. Don't worry about it; it's unlikely to happen.

You know your kids the best. If you think that if they see another kid with a Mickey Mouse hat on that your kids will have a 'melt down' then don't stay in Anaheim. Consider Long Beach or one of the areas to the south of Long Beach, e.g. Seal Beach, Hungtington Beach.

Manhattan Beach is very nice (and peaceful) but it's not far from LAX so your drive to Legoland will probably be longer than you want.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where should we stay...@LAX? Or Anaheim? Or somewhere else?

This Residence Inn is also near a really delightful neighborhood park called Polliwog Park. Almost a mile walk, so you'd probably want to drive.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where should we stay...@LAX? Or Anaheim? Or somewhere else?

Thanks everyone for your great info and advice, much appreciated x

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,704 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where should we stay...@LAX? Or Anaheim? Or somewhere else?

What were you planning on doing once you've recovered from the trip?

I would say stay at the Residence Inn in Manhattan Beach. I don't see a need to go to Anaheim for anything.

Depending on your plans for the rest of the time you could either do a day trip to Legoland or spend some R&R time in that area.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where should we stay...@LAX? Or Anaheim? Or somewhere else?

Seal Beach is another good place. But I don't think the Hampton Inn or the Ayres HOtel there have the kind of apartment-like suites (with full kitchen) that Residence Inn is known for.

16. Re: Where should we stay...@LAX? Or Anaheim? Or somewhere else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 08, 2014