We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Los Angeles... Hollywood or downtown?

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Los Angeles... Hollywood or downtown?

I will be staying in Los Angeles for ten nights next year, four spent at Anaheim.

I can't decide whether to then stay in Hollywood for four nights then downtown for two?

Or stay at downtown for the whole six nights? I have to stay in downtown the last night.

I won't have a car, so being close to public transport is a must, as there's a lot I want to see.

Also I will be travelling solo, so safety is also on my list.

Thankyou in advance:)

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles... Hollywood or downtown?

Start by telling us what you want to see. LA is spread out. It might even make sense to move after a couple of days. You realize that you are visiting a city that a car makes the best sense. Public transit isn't necessarily oriented towards tourism. It can take a lot longer to get somewhere. Although safety isn't really an issue...a car is a safer..if you want to use that word. Why no car? Are you under 25?

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles... Hollywood or downtown?

Yeah I realise how spread out it is. My to do list is abit everywhere aswell, including Universal studios, Getty centre , Santa Monica, rodeo drive, walk of fame, Chinese theatre, Walt Disney concert hall, FIDM.

As for the car issue, yes I am under 25. I don't mind spending abit longer to get somewhere rather then stressing over parking cars, getting stuck in traffic. I've already looked up maps for the metro services, and it seems to cater for the places I want to go.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles... Hollywood or downtown?

The only reason I would split Hollywood and Downtown 4/2 nights would be to experience the nightlife in the Downtown neighborhoods, the Core, Little Tokyo and LA Live. I also think it is easier to get to and from Santa Monica from Downtown because of the Big Blue Bus Express bus between SaMo and Downtown.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles... Hollywood or downtown?

The Hollywood area (a community of the city of Los Angeles) and Downtown LA are very close, and has very good public transit, including the LA Metro Subways/Rail system in the area, so I would not move. The Hollywood area is the main Tourist area, and has a lot of good options of places to stay.

So I would just stay in the Hollywood area, and take the LA Metro Red Line Subway to check out the Downtown when you want to go.

www.metro.net

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles... Hollywood or downtown?

Downtown is actually the center of our public transportation hub, and many rail and bus lines start and end in Downtown. You will have a lot more options for direct bus or rail lines in Downtown than anywhere else, and it's a very easy 15-20 minute subway ride to Hollywood. The nightlife downtown is great, and many of the restaurants and pubs are beyond compare. I live Downtown and I wouldn't live anywhere else except maybe Santa Monica. I don't like Hollywood much, but I'm an LA native. I find it too touristy

Edited: 12:27 pm, September 25, 2013
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,901 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles... Hollywood or downtown?

For the benefit of others who might read this thread, a clarification that Anaheim is not in Los Angeles. It's a city in the adjacent county to Los Angeles, 45 to 60 minutes from the city of L.A. by car (can be longer during 'rush hours') and 90 minutes from central L.A. via public transit.

I'd also like to clarify that our downtown neighborhood is not in the center of our massive city; it's near the eastern end of it so it's not centrally-located within the city of L.A. and not centrally-located for your particular itinerary. Here's a map of the popular neighborhoods in the city of L.A. and adjacent cities. Note how Anaheim is 'off the map' near the southeast corner:

…flickr.com/2695/4304287666_3f60e03695_o.jpg

"Where to stay" is a topic asked often on this Forum. As far as your particular requirements, why, may I ask, must you be in downtown for your last night? I ask only because I'm trying to minimize the amount of transferring you'll be doing. Here is a map of all of the sites you've mentioned:

http://mapq.st/15U9H7g

Okay, let's look at the map.

1. Anaheim (point "I" on the map) is far from the other sites you mentioned in the city of L.A. and nearby communities. You are right in wanting to stay in Anaheim during that portion of your visit.

2. Points "G" and "H" (you can hover over any point with your mouse to identify it) is in downtown.

3. Points "D" and "E" are in Hollywood and point "F" -- Universal Studios -- is in nearby "Universal City", a very short metro rail ride from Hollywood. (Points "D" through "F" are all accessible to the red line metro rail.

4. Point "C" is in Beverly Hills, accessible from Hollywood via 2 short bus rides in succession.

5. Point "B" is in Brentwood, 2 short bus rides from Beverly Hills

6. Point "A" is accessible to the point "B" (2 buses), point "C" (1 bus) and downtown L.A. (1 express bus -- about an hour).

Based upon this map, I would recommend staying in three locations:

a. Anaheim

b. Hollywood (for points D through H)

c. Westwood (for points A through C). Westwood is near the point on the map where the routes to A, B and C come together (near the corner of Wilshire Bl & Westwood Bl). Westwood, also has an express bus to LAX called the Westwood Flyaway Bus.

To find public transit routes between these points, I don't not recommend looking at public transit maps. This is for several reasons, not the least of which is that certain transit route operate only on certain days or during certain hours and a map would not tell you whether you're waiting for a bus that won't be coming! Instead, our TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of this page has step-by-step instructions for looking up public transit routes between any 2 points by entering the time of day and day of the week travel. In the TOP QUESTIONS BOX at right, click on 'Pubic Transit Info..." and then click on "Local Transportation". If you;re using a smart phone or tablet, the TOP QUESTIONS BOX won't be visible. Here's a shortcut to the content:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c171690/Los-An…

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
783 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles... Hollywood or downtown?

Hi Daydreamer91

Assuming that could be useful, I address you my review of the hotel in which I stayed for four nights this summer in Los Angeles, in the Hollywood area; a hotel which was chosen mainly because of its good position as for public transport:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g32655-d77…

To move by public transport, I have found very useful

michaelbrein.com/los-angeles-travel-guide.php

I purchased online for $ 8

Brun066

Edited: 2:29 pm, September 25, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles... Hollywood or downtown?

Thanks Bruno for the review of the Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset. I think it is a great hotel for the budget conscious traveler and for ones without a car. I thought your review pretty much hit the hotels highlights (price and location).

While Downtown may not be the geographic center of the city, it is still the cultural, sports and transportation center of the city.

In the last 15 years (since the Staples Center broke ground) Downtown Los Angeles has returned as a prominent spot for dining and nightlife. It also sparked a housing boom in Downtown that has accelerated the restaurant renaissance.

I stick by splitting those 6 nights between Hollywood and Downtown. A 4 - 2 or even 3 - 3 split would work.

Lastly, while the City of Anaheim is not in LA County, it is in both the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area and The Greater Los Angeles Area.

Edited: 3:03 pm, September 25, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles... Hollywood or downtown?

Thanks Scott, my point exactly. And since some of the things the OP wants to see are in Downtown (Disney Concert Hall, FIDM), I think it would be a good place to base.

While Downtown is not the center of the city, it is often times easier to get places from Downtown than Hollywood due to all the transportation options. Santa Monica is one bus all the way, and with several options.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,901 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles... Hollywood or downtown?

Anaheim might be in the Los Angeles Metro area but due to the fact that it is outside of the sprawling city and county of L.A., in Orange County, it's far away from attractions in and around the city of L.A. (the map I posted above in posting #6 shows this easily).

And, as far as downtown L.A. having better public transit access than, say, Hollywood, I don't see your point. Yes, there is an express bus between downtown L.A. and Santa Monica but this is not much of an advantage for the OP (or most other visitors to the city of L.A.) for the following reasons:

a. The bus travels on the freeway which, while faster than the Metro buses which travel on 'local streets') is an incredibly ugly ride. It doesn't pass by anything of interest to tourists -- just one, long concrete highway. Let's look at the timing of this bus:

For a person, leaving the Union Station area at around 9:00 on a weekday, the transfer on the Santa Monica R10 to the area adjacent to the Santa Monica Pier takes 1 hour, 14 minutes. The same person leaving from the corner of Hollywood Bl & Highland Av at 9:00 on a weekday has a couple of transfer options:

a. The Metro #780 bus followed by the Metro #534. The #780 passes through Hollywood, West Hollywood and through Central L.A. (past CBS Television City, the Original Farmers Market, LACMA and the Petersen Automotive Museum. The #534 passes through Culver City and travels briefly on the 10 freeway. This 2-bus transfer takes 1 hour, 10 minutes -- 4 minutes faster than the SM R10 bus.

b. Another option is to take the 780 metro bus followed by the 704 metro bus. This route is even more scenic, passing through Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Century City, West LA and much of Santa Monica. The transfer time: 1 hour, 10 minutes -- 4 minutes faster than the SM R10 bus.

The #780 bus even runs more frequently at that hour then the R10 -- every 17 minutes for the 780 compared to every 20 minutes for the R10. True, the R10 requires only one bus and the fare is, therefore, $3.70 versus $2 for the R10 but a visitor who purchases a $5 DAY PASS (recommended if one plans to use public transit a lot) would only have to pay 70-cents for the 780/534 route (or nothing at all for the 780/704 route) because the $5 Day Pass would cover the fare. The rider on the R10, meanwhile, would have to pay $2 each way (plus fare for any additional buses or trains he/she wanted to ride during the day).

Add to that, the OP wanted to visit Beverly Hills and the Getty Center. There are no direct buses from downtown to either of these destinations. From the Union Station area (or from anywhere else in downtown) the only bus that heads for Beverly Hills is the 704 and it takes 1 hour, 5 minutes to reach Beverly Hills from Union Station, In actuality, it's faster to take the Purple Line Metro rail from downtown to Wilshire/Western and transfer to the #720 bus to reach Beverly Hills. Doing so at 9:00 on a weekday takes 41 mimutes but transferring from Hollywood (via the #780, and then the #704) takes only 39 minutes.

In addition, #302 Metro bus connects the Hollywood and West Hollywood areas with Westwood which is a convenient transfer point for the short bus ride to the Getty Center. This transfer would take 1 hour, 2 minutes. From downtown, here are the options:

a. Take an Amtrak train to Van Nuys Station ($11) followed by the #761 bus. The entire transfer takes 1 hour, 16 minutes.

b. The #2 metro bus followed by the #761 bus. That transfer takes 1 hour, 34 minutes.

So, I'm not seeing how staying in downtown is more convenient for those relying upon public transit.