We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking in Hollywood and Beverly areas

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Walking in Hollywood and Beverly areas

Hello guys,

I will spending around 6 nights in LA early October... its my first time to the states...

i like so much strolling around and walking in the street to know any city i land in for the first time.....

I have a plan for walking for by myelf 9i will have no car) but would like to hear your opinions..

1- in order to fully explore Hollywood area what path should i walk?how to explore its best..so far walk of fame, the sign and the stuff of theatres over there...

2- also in Beverly hills which path should i walk in order to explore the best of it? what can i visit & see in beverly beside Rodeo drive.....celebrity houses? i have read a lot but wish to hear from you..

For example to make it more clear, for Beverly hill, i can start by 3rd street, till Fairfax Avenue then to Beverly BL...etc..

BTW, to what time at night it is safe to walk alone in both areas?!

May be another topic for DT LA, but i believe HW and BVRLY are near each other that's why i put in the same topic..!

Thanks guys!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,245 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking in Hollywood and Beverly areas

The distances are vast, easily about 2 or more hours to walk from Hollywood to Beverly Hills - so no, it's not something you would want to do. You can walk Hollywood (all of it) in about 15 minutes. Beverly Blvd and Melrose and Third Street can be seen on foot, and is its own area - but you wouldn't walk to BH from there, either. You can walk up and down the streets of Beverly Hills for hours, and it will be a nice walk - definitely walk the business area where the shops are, and up toward Sunset into the residential areas.

These neighborhoods are enormous - you must understand the span of these areas, as well as how far apart they are.

You need to consult a map.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking in Hollywood and Beverly areas

thanks for the tip!

but i love to walk for hours .... its my interest! ..am not much into spending hours in museums & restaurants ! :)

In some cities i used to walk may be for more than 9 continuous hours even in snow & rain! :)

waiting for more!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,385 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking in Hollywood and Beverly areas

Our metro area is not like most cities. Each neighborhood is separate from the next. The area between each pair of neighborhoods is not that interesting. If you like to walk, I would suggest also getting a DAY PASS for the metro system ($5 for the day plus a one-time charge of $1 for the TAP CARD on which your day pass will be loaded). Then, you can take bus rides from one neighborhood to the next, explore that neighborhood and then move onto the next by bus.

There are some exceptions. You could walk from Hollywood to West Hollywood pretty easily and then walk through West Hollywood (which is pretty large and hilly in places). I would then take a bus from West Hollywood south to the area near the Beverly Center (mall). You can explore that area on foot (along Beverly Bl and 3rd St -- these streets are parallel to one another). You COULD walk to Beverly Hills from there but, it's not a very interesting walk. I would take the #14 bus on Beverly Bl or the #16 bus on 3rd Street into central Beverly Hills. Then explore BH on foot.

Beverly Hills is also a large area and since the homes are large, it will take time to walk through some of the neighborhoods. When you're finished, take the #2 bus on Sunset Bl back to the Hollywood area (if that's where you're staying.

Where are you staying?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,322 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking in Hollywood and Beverly areas

I would take a bus to Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive and start from there. Head North and you will find your way into the beautiful neighborhoods just North of Santa Monica Blvd. Be sure to look for the Beverly Hills city hall; it's a beautiful building. The streets are in a grid shape, so you can amble up and down the residential streets. I like doing this in Beverly Hills and in Santa Monica, north of Montana Ave. If you are motivated, you can walk back to Hollywood. If you walk on Santa Monica Blvd. you'll walk past West Hollywood's action. Just be sure to have a good map with you. If you get lost or tired, get directions back to Santa Monica Blvd, Wilshire Blvd (or Sunset, as recommended above) and get a bus back to Hollywood. I would think you will have no safety issues. I walk right up to midnight in my neighborhood and feel perfectly safe. But that's on Los Angeles' westside, which is considerably safer than some other neighborhoods.

When you walk downtown LA, don't take the above approach because there are some lousy neighborhoods you won't want to find yourself in. On the right side of this page are sample itineraries where walking tours of downtown are found. I would stick to the tour streets for safety sake.

If you are coming to the beach communities of Santa Monica and Venice Beach you will also enjoy some great walks. Begin at Venice Canals, walk through them, then on to Venice Beach Boardwalk to Santa Monica. You can walk the south Santa Monica neighborhoods or go to the main part of the city, 3rd St. Promenade, continue past Montana Ave. where the large and lovely homes are located. You can amble along those residential streets for hours! Take a bus back to your lodging from any major boulevard in Santa Monica - Wilshire, Santa Monica, Pico.

Do you have Google street view? It is a fine way to explore before you get here.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking in Hollywood and Beverly areas

Wow..lots of good info..

i will be staying near to red line station of hollywood/western.....And yes i do have google street...

So it seems Hollywood, beverly & St Monica/Venice are good places to spend some time walking through them..which i already planned for it....

Could you tell me is there any place LA that deserve walking...really i didn't find from my readings here anything more...but may be i missed something..?

Also what areas of down town La i should get away from? as for DT LA i thought i will leave myself to my foot..and my borders will be Santa ana Fwy, Santa monica Fawy & Harbor Fwy, then back to union station....are there areas which i should avoid?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,385 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking in Hollywood and Beverly areas

Have you looked at the 'itinerary ideas' section of our FAQs? Here's a shortcut:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c172212/Los-An…

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking in Hollywood and Beverly areas

wow...so helpful link HopSkipJump...dunno how i didn't pass by it before...i believe am done now for the 6 nights by this topic....... 2 days in St Monica + 1 day universal + 2 days Bevelry & hollywood + 1 day DT.. :)..

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking in Hollywood and Beverly areas

May i have another question...

In the above suggested walks..sunet BI, Hollywood BL, Beverly BL, Fairfax Av & Santa Monica area.

What are the best original american steak houses? :yummy:

also are there any recommendations for good italian food in those areas?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,878 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking in Hollywood and Beverly areas

Bear in mind these are very, very long streets (Sunset Blvd, Hollywood, Bev, etc) so some "areas" overlap.

If by Fairfax, you mean the area of Farmer's Market, I'd say Morel's, even though it is a "French" steakhouse.

On Beverly Boulevard, it depends where on Beverly you are talking about?

On Hollywood Blvd, Musso & Frank is a classic, old Hollywood steakhouse and at Hollywood & Highland is The Grill on Hollywood. Not much great Italian, maybe Miceli's or Fabiolus Cafe.

On Sunset, if you mean the Sunset Strip, Saddle Ranch Chop House or walk down to Dan Tana's for an Italian steakhouse (two birds, one stone).

Downtown has Nick & Stef's or the Pacific Dining Car for steak and Colori Kitchen and Drago Centro for Italian.

Beverly Hills has the biggest concentration of great steakhouse and Italian probably. For steak CUT is my favorite, for Italian, Da Pasquale Restaurant, Il Pastaio Restaurant and Sfixio to name just three.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,245 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking in Hollywood and Beverly areas

If in Santa Monica, I would recommend Chez Jay. Their steaks are good, not as good as those restaurants mentioned above, but the atmosphere is unique - filled with locals and is quite famous in its own right.

http://www.chezjays.com/