We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA for 1 day, car or tour bus.....

North Sydney, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
LA for 1 day, car or tour bus.....

Hi, family of 3 going to spend approximately 3 nights in Santa Monica (next April). Want to do 1 day in LA doing the 'touristy' thing. Was thinking of doing the hop-on, hop-off starline tour (24 hr pass), doing 1-3 routes. We may have a car, but with traffic, not familiar and parking, I'm thinking this would be more relaxing.........and would the 24 hr pass be sufficient?

Thanks in advance!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,014 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA for 1 day, car or tour bus.....

It sounds fine, but you have tons of time for planning. I will spend hours on the internet checking out destinations, distance from where I'm staying, alternate routes, look for parking nearby, as well as restaurants and other attractions. I build a notebook from that research and bring it along when I travel. This past January, I used Google street view and was very surprised as we were driving to a grocery store from the airport when I recognized the entrance to our condo, so we were able to pop in, get the key, and look for what was already in the condo before heading to the market. I would not have realized where it was had I not "driven" down the road, virtually, already! Very helpful. I mention all this because you really can drive to various places. It takes far less time than public transit and you get to explore on your own terms, not that of the tour bus.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA for 1 day, car or tour bus.....

I think a lot depends on your temperament. LA is a great place for simply tooling around, as long as you are not in a hurry and stay off the roads during rush hour. So if you like driving, by all means. You'll find the roads tend to be wide and well-marked. I'd suggest staying off the freeways or use them sparingly.

I'd also suggest you put downtown on your radar. Consider starting your day there by taking tge 10 downtown. There is much to see and do. Grammy Museum at LA Live, drive by Disney Concert Hall and Cathedral, Olvera Street/Union Station/Philippe's, to name only a few sights.

You could double-back west to Griffith Observatory & Hollywood via Sunset. Stop in Beverly Hills Golden Triangle. Take Wilshire or Sunset back to Santa Monica. I'd suggest stopping for dinner at The Getty Center for dinner. Yes, this would be a exhausting day. But, I sense most of what I've pointed out isn't on your radar and should be.

HTH

North Sydney, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA for 1 day, car or tour bus.....

Thanks to both of you. Excellent advise on both parts. I was worried most of our day would be spent in traffic, but since I have a ton of time to plan, I think driving makes more sense. See the city on our schedule, not someone else's. And as for being exhausted, the trip I have planned will require a vacation when returning for sleep anyway! Thanks!

4. Re: LA for 1 day, car or tour bus.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 29, 2014