We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just heard about the Summer Concert series at The Grove...

Michigan
Level Contributor
182 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Just heard about the Summer Concert series at The Grove...

I read that The Backstreet Boys will be there this Wednesday, 7/31. I found out about it on citiprivatepass.com, but apparently all the complimentary tickets are gone. Will we still be able to kind of see and hear it? We've never been to The Grove, so we have no idea what to expect.

Regardless of the concert, my daughters really want to go to The Grove and Wednesday is the day that we're planning to do that. I'm assuming the area will be super crowded? What would be the best possible way to go there from our hotel, Holiday Inn Express Hollywood? Our rental car? Taxi? Can we possibly walk? (I have no idea how close the two are to each other...)

Thank you!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just heard about the Summer Concert series at The Grove...

You can take Metro Bus 217 or 780 from the corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave. (near your hotel) west - the sign on the front of the bus will say "Washington / Fairfax". The bus will head west then turn south onto Fairfax Ave. Exit at the corner of Fairfax Ave. and 3rd St. This is the corner of The Grove / Farmer's Market complex and you can walk through the Farmer's Market to The Grove from here.

I went to a free Jewel concert at The Grove several years ago - it wasn't a ticketed event and while it was crowded, it wasn't that bad. No idea what it means for the event to be ticketed there since there's not really anywhere they could have the performance where they'd be able to restrict viewing, and certainly not hearing.

Michigan
Level Contributor
182 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just heard about the Summer Concert series at The Grove...

Thanks, MachThree! So, you think taking the bus is a better option than driving ourselves?

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just heard about the Summer Concert series at The Grove...

How many of you are planning to go? If its more than 3 of you, car makes more sense for the trip. Either way, bus or car, be sure to arrive like an hour before the show start to have a chance at least to hear it...

Michigan
Level Contributor
182 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just heard about the Summer Concert series at The Grove...

Thanks, chocopenguin! We're a family of 5 and we'll have a rental car. We'll be there earlier, for sure, because my girls will want to shop. :)

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,045 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just heard about the Summer Concert series at The Grove...

If you plan to shop, The Grove is pretty small, but close by is the Beverly Center, a large mall. Adjacent to The Grove is the Original Farmer's Market. Have a meal, or homemade ice cream, there. My kids have always liked the candy store, too.

Because the Backstreet Boys are a more aging boy band, I don't think it will be that crowded, but suspect they may import a busload or two of their own screaming young people. Regardless, it should be a blast for your daughters.

Let us know how it worked out!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,673 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just heard about the Summer Concert series at The Grove...

>>>Because the Backstreet Boys are a more aging boy band, I don't think it will be that crowded<<<

... unless the now middle age moms tow along their thoroughly embarrassed eye rolling teenagers!! I know a couple of SoCal moms who would love to go but have adult responsibilities to attend. : (

I haven't been at the Grove for these events but this is a Wednesday so hopefully not that bad nor to the level of holiday shopping period where circling for a parking space at the top levels is an exercise in patience and random luck from the parking gods.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,719 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just heard about the Summer Concert series at The Grove...

If you drive, here are a couple of tips for parking. There are 2 general areas in which to park:

1. The 'open air' parking lots surrounding the Farmers Market (enter on Fairfax Av or 3rd St)

2. The multi-story parking structure at the northeast corner of the Grove (enter on Grove Drive)

If you're apt to buy something at the grove, park in the parking structure since merchants at the grove don't validate parking for the farmers market and vice verse. As you drive up the ramp, keep on eye on the display boards that will tell you how many empty spaces are available on each level. Skip floors that have 20 or fewer spaces as it's unlikely you'll get one (or be able to find one). Once you've parked, head up to the roof of the structure. You can't drive up to that level -- it's limited to employee parking -- but there are some fantastic views from the roof -- from all 4 sides.

Issaquah, Washington
Level Contributor
522 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just heard about the Summer Concert series at The Grove...

I accidentally ended up at The Grove before Jonas Brothers performed a few years ago when they were more popular and it was a madhouse. There was a giant line around the outside of the mall when we got there several hours before the show. We were purchasing a computer at the Apple store so were there for quite a while and they started putting up fencing around the stage area. I think that they let the people who are in line with the tickets inside the fencing. We hurried out as soon as we could before the show. I heard later that it took someone 50 minutes to get out of the garage after.

I also know some people who went to see a concert there and they ended up leaning off the parking structure to see it because that's the closest they could get. Security made them move away for safety reasons and after that they couldn't see anything at all.

The Backstreet Boys have a fervent fan bass even now.

9. Re: Just heard about the Summer Concert series at The Grove...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 02, 2014