We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montebello to Ontario Airport

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Montebello to Ontario Airport

Hi all,

My husband and I will be in LA in Feb 2014. We're staying in Montebello and looking at picking a rental car up from Ontario airport around 3pm and then driving to Vegas.

What are the cheapest and easiest options to get from Montebello to Ontario?

Thanks

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
882 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montebello to Ontario Airport

When you say cheapest and easiest option from Montebello to Ontario, are you referring to public transportation, I do not think there are any. Montebello is in the County of Los Angeles, and Ontario Airport is in the County of San Bernardino.

However, there are tons of private shuttle services from Montebello to the Ontario Airport. You can compare prices online. The alternative is to rent the car from Montebello, and then drive to Vegas.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,539 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montebello to Ontario Airport

Hi, Mala

Seldom do 'cheapest' and 'easiest' coincide. Transferring to Ontario Airport from Montebello via public transit would be difficult. You'd have a 3-part transfer which would involve, most probably, heading into downtown L.A., and taking a train and/or bus to the airport. According to the public transit website, such a transfer would take just under 3 hours -- quite a lengthy trip given that the starting and ending points are only 34 miles / 54 km apart!

Supershuttle.com will transfer 2 persons from Montebello (the Best Western Hotel on Telegraph Rd) to ONT for $62 total.

Another option would be to pick up the car from Union Station in downtown L.A. (there's a Budget and a Hertz office there). The transfer would be in 2 parts by public transit and take about an hour. If you're staying with friends or family who could drive one or both of these transfers, it will save you time and money:

Starting at Central MONTEBELLO...

Ride Montebello #10 bus [marked 'EAST L.A. COLLEGE'] heading west

To: NE corner ATLANTIC BLVD/POMONA BLVD Arrive: 09:30AM

Pay $1.10 + $0.25 for Transfer ticket

Transfer to:

Metro Rail Gold Line train [marked "PASADENA - SIERRA MADRE VILLA STA"] heading west

From: ATLANTIC STATION Leave: 09:37AM To: UNION STATION Arrive: 10:01AM

Use Transfer ticket for fare

Ending at UNION STATION

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montebello to Ontario Airport

Thank you! I'll look into options. We need to get the car from an air port as that seems to be the only way we can do a one way rental. We were just thinking Ontario might be best as it's the nearest to the freeway to head to Vegas = less scary time driving in LA!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,704 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montebello to Ontario Airport

Is no one going to ask why the heck are they staying in Montebello to visit Los Angeles???

Okay, I will..... Why the heck are you staying in Montebello to visit Los Angeles? What are your plans for Montebello?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montebello to Ontario Airport

re: Montebello - they might have a good reason to stay there but I smell another instance of bad advice from a travel agent.

Mala - I suggest using a tool like maps.google.com to map out where you are staying and the attractions that you want to visit. Bearing in mind that LA traffic can be quite bad (and so what you might normally consider a short distance can take a lot longer to travel than what you might think), and I suspect you'll find that there are other areas much more central to the places you actually want to visit. Hollywood, West Hollywood, Westwood, Beverly Hills, Century City, Beverly Grove all tend to be more central to the tourist attractions than Montebello would be.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montebello to Ontario Airport

If you are staying in Montebello with the goal of sightseeing in the LA area, you must rent a car for the entire duration of your visit-- airport to airport. It is a very out-of-the-way location for sightseeing in our area, even with a car. Without one, it will be utterly miserable. The only circumstance where this would make sense is if you are visiting family in Montebello who have promised to drive you everywhere.

My recommendations?

1. Cancel the Montebello reservation .

2. If the above is not possible, rent a car. It is not likely to be as difficult as you imagine.

3. If neither of the above are possible, cancel the whole vacation and stay home, or plan a new vacation elsewhere.

Edited: 2:00 pm, June 25, 2013
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,539 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montebello to Ontario Airport

Here's a cartoon map of the L.A. metro area that you might find helpful:

…flickr.com/2695/4304287666_3f60e03695_o.jpg

A couple of things to note:

1. Montebello is to the east of our giant city (it's not shown on the map)

2. Union Station (which I referenced above) is in downtown L.A. which, per the map, is at the EASTERN EDGE of our city (close to Montebello).

3. Per their websites, both Hertz.com and Budget.com (which have offices at Union Station) offer 1-way rentals to Las Vegas. Be sure to set your 'country of origin' to Australia before making a reservation as that will get you a cheaper rate which will include all necessary insurance.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montebello to Ontario Airport

hmm I thought Montebello looked reasonably close on the map! Or central-ish anyway. I can change the bookings so that's no worries at all, we just didn't know where to look so made a tentative booking. Best thing about the States - nothing charges you straight away.. it's awesome!

Okay... so we'll happily move to another location. Realistically - we want to do Disney (my hubby's never been) and Universal, and then the general tourist stuff - walk of fame, the beaches etc. Ideally using public transport or if places are easy to get to.

We don't want a car in LA, the idea of driving there isn't appealing :-s

I shall post locations for potential hotels when I work it out and you guys can let me know if that's okay!

Also... am I silly to think that if we can get a car from maybe Burbank - that getting out of the city to Vegas around 3 or 4pm we won't hit too much traffic? It'll be a Tuesday...

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,945 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montebello to Ontario Airport

If you don't want to drive, Montebello is an awful place to base your visit. Look into Hollywood or Santa Monica, depending on your budget.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,539 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montebello to Ontario Airport

Based upon your itinerary, Hollywood is the best bet as it's in between Santa Monica (beaches) which is about 1 hour by bus to the west of Hollywood, Universal which is 5 minute ride north from central Hollywood to the local metro rail station plus a short 'shuttle ride' to Universal's entrance and about a 90 minute ride to Anaheim (which is off the lower right corner of the map I provided above). From Hollywood, you'll need to take the red line metro rail into downtown L.A. and get off at the last stop (Union Station) -- 25 minutes -- than, wait for and ride an above-ground train to the Disneyland area (50 minutes) then take a bus or a short taxi ride to DL (5 to 30 minutes).

Step by step transfer instructions to Universal and Disneyland from Hollywood (and other popular starting points) is in our TOP QUESTIONS box at the right side of this page. Click on 'what to do...' and then look for the link about theme parks. In order to see the TOP QUESTIONS box, you'll need to use a computer -- not a smart phone or tablet.