We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental questions

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental questions

Hey i have a few questions i was hoping someone could help with. When i head to la we plan on renting a car for 2/3 days to drive to vegas. I will be 22 so can anyone recomend a good company for under 25's my second question is i have a uk passport but australian driving license would thos be an issue?

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental questions

We used Avis last time we were there with no troubles at all (we were 22 at the time). We did have to pay a young driver fee of I think $25+ a day, but no issues with actually hiring the car.

We are hiring a car this year, looks like it will be with Alamo and still the $25+ per day young driver fee.

I don't think it will be an issue that your license is from a different country than your passport, my husband did have an international drivers permit though that we'd used in Thailand, we weren't asked for it but it's probably worth having 'just in case' (I'm sure whoever you end up renting through will have it specified in their T&C's).

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental questions

Most companies will rent to you if you're 22, but will charge an extra fee since you are under 25 years old. Hertz sometimes offers coupon codes (check on Google) to waive their under-25 fee. When you book through Hertz, be sure to indicate that you are a foreigner and what country you're from and then they should include in the quote all of the insurances that you'll need. If you can't get a coupon to waive the under-25 fee, then I would look to book the rental through www.carhire3000.co.uk or www.traveljigsaw.com.au - these companies let you book U.S. cars as foreigners with low quotes that include insurance and usually also would waive the one-way drop fee if you pick up the car in one city and drop it off in another, but I think if you rent this way you'd still have to pay the under-25 fee.

I don't think your driver's license / passport issue should be a problem - they'll be interested in your drivers license, not your passport.

3. Re: Car rental questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 24, 2014