We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kosher Dining in Los Angeles

London, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Kosher Dining in Los Angeles

Hiya,

Me and my husband are going to L.A in October 2013 for our Honeymoon - i just wondered what areas have the majority of kosher dining? Or are there several areas that have kosher facilities?

We'd like to visit Malibu Beach, Universal, Hollywood, maybe Venice Beach (not decided on all yet) just piecing our trip together.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,194 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kosher Dining in Los Angeles

I have made the drive from SM to Pico-Robertson dozens of times -- Pico Blvd runs straight though, allow 30 min, perhaps more during the evening rush. You can also take Olympic which is a few blocks north of Pico. From Venice beach take Venice Blvd which is particularly interesting because there has been less development along that street over the past 60 years and parts of it still look like it did in the 1950s.

If you find yourself near the feeway entrance it is a little longer in miles but faster and can be done in 20 min on a good day (get off on Robertson Blvd and go north, Pico will be about 7 min away)

You must go to Elat Market if you're going to be in the area. I agree with every comment in the yelp URL -- it's an experience.

London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Kosher Dining in Los Angeles

Thank you!!

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kosher Dining in Los Angeles

I don't know if this would help, but the Residence Inn I mentioned before has full kitchens in the suites, so you could buy food at the many kosher markets and cook it yourself. But I don't know if you need kosher cooking utensils too-- if so, that wouldn't really help. (Anyway, who wants to cook on their Honeymoon!)

For a beach location, I prefer Santa Monica by far over Malibu (too remote, not much to do there) or Venice (beach area is gritty). How about Manhattan Beach? (Probably not much Kosher available there, though. "Westside" of LA, including Santa Monica, has a denser Jewish population, and some must be observant of Kosher laws.)

London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Kosher Dining in Los Angeles

Thank you for more advice, self catering would be difficult with utensils, pots, pans, kitchen itself not being kosher but good thought :)

I haven't looked into Manhattan beach at all actually might be interesting to research aswel. Santa Monica beach seems the favourite so far though.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,866 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Kosher Dining in Los Angeles

Santa Monica is a good beach location as you will be closer to the Pico/Robertson area for your kosher needs. When you get further afield, like Manhattan Beach, you will find your options become fewer.

You will enjoy Santa Monica: great beach, vibrant center (3rd St. Promenade), easy to get to both Malibu and Venice so you can check out both.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,064 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Kosher Dining in Los Angeles

This web site may be of interest to you:

www.reservekosher.com/index.php…

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,221 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Kosher Dining in Los Angeles

I like to research these different restaurant requests, mostly out of curiosity, and for future reference for my annual visits to LA area.

There is a place Mexikosher on West Pico that sound great! www.mexikosher.com

Also in Burbank is ShnitzBurGer that sounds good as well. www.shnitzburger.com

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Kosher Dining in Los Angeles

Mexikosher is both very good and very popular!!!

If you need more recs for your trips let me know....

Dr. Z

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Kosher Dining in Los Angeles

The beach off the Santa Monica pier is not too bad. However, overlooking the Malibu pier is a Chabad House, maybe they could offer you some sustenance while you enjoy each other's company. I saw quite a few Chabadniks on the Malibu Pier last time I was there. The house is a small walk up a hill and it really has a beautiful view of the pier. Last time I was there I dovened mincha after walking on the beach. My wife and I honeymooned at the Malibu Motel in January 1969 for $12.50 /night. That's right. and we survived on the pinapple chicken left over from the reception. Now it is, veis mir, what $200/night? But cheaper in the winter. Even Malibu was cloudy when we stayed there, it was a great place to view the ocedan. Check it out. And much of the motel private beach has been eroded for some mysterious reason. Ask how much motel beach is left. If you decide to go there, try to get a room with a balcony right on the ocean, so that you can hear the surf at night, even though it is more expensive for your few days.

After 3 PM if you are staying in Santa Monica if you take the 10 it really gets hung up at the 405 ramp. Otherwise you could take the 10 and get off at Robertson and then head north to Pico.

There is a hotel right at the end of Wilshire Blvd. It has changed name over the years, but it is a grand hotel. It is now called the Fairmont Miramar Hotel. there is one hotel in Santa Monica that got sued because they would not allow orthodox people to have an affair there. They won their discrimination lawsuit against the Hotel Shangri-La. You can walk to the area overlooking the ocean. But Santa Monica has a lot of homeless and there are a lot of them hanging around the overlooking park. When I was single I used to go there with my date buy one drink and dance in the dance area with a real orchestra. But that is now gone. Too bad! But you will have to drive about 30 minutes to a kosher restaurant from that location. Probably go down a nice drive down Wilshire past Westwood to Robertson and turn right to Pico. My paternal baba came from London, and I studied mesechta kiddushin with Rabbi Mosheh Swift, alava hashalom, when he came to Los Angeles and founded Young Israel of Los Angeles. Regards, Moishe Pipik

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Kosher Dining in Los Angeles

Roger, the poster has already come and gone on his trip, look at the dates.