We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Santa Monica

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to Santa Monica

We are planning on taking the bus this Sunday (can't believe how close I am to my holiday!) to Santa Monica Pier. Can someone please help me with the stops and which buses to use?

We are staying at Holiday Inn Express in Hollywood. Is it correct that we walk down Highland Ave to Santa Monica Blv to catch the 704? Having a look on the metro.net timetable I am not sure what the stop name is? Is there a land mark (hotel) that I should look out for so I know I am waiting in the right spot?

Also which bus do we catch from Santa Monica back again?

I have looked at the metro trip planner but Im not sure which stops to select.

Sorry if this is a silly question but I am not use to using public transport

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,196 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to Santa Monica

Where are you going in Santa Monica? Once you decide, go to Metro.net and click on the 'trip planner'. For your starting point, enter the address of your hotel:

1921 N. Highland Av

For your ending point in Santa Monica, enter it next. I'll use (as an example, only).

Then enter the day of the week, Sunday. and the time of day (I'll use 9:00, as an example only):

Metro.net comes up with a number of possible routes. I'll select the first one. Here are the details:

Starting at 1921 N HIGHLAND AV

Ride Metro Local Line 212 [HAWTHORNE/LENNOX STA] heading west

Pay $1.50

Ride Metro Rapid 704 [SANTA MONICA] heading west

To: BROADWAY/4TH ST NW corner Ar: 10:09AM

Pay $1.50, Monthly Pass: $75.00, EZ Pass accepted

Metro.net is telling you to start with the #212 bus which you'll pick up at the northeast corner of Hollywood Bl & Las Palmas Av. If you don't know how to find that intersection, you can pull up a little map that will help you find it. Simply click on the link of the address of your hotel (1921 N. Highland Av) which appears below the words 'starting at" at the top of these instructions. A map appears showing two colored cirlces:

1. The purple one is the location of your hotel

2. The green one with the triangle printed on it, is where you meet the 212 bus.

You then need to take a second bus which is explained in the instructions.

You can click on any part of the instructions that has a link and a map will appear. It's IMPOSSIBLE to figure out which bus to take (and where the stops are) by looking at the timetables -- so please stop doing that!!! The reason why looking at the timetables doesn't work is that the bus routes change by the minute so the only way you'll have an EFFICIENT guide to which buses to take is if you use the trip planner.

To find the 'RETURN TRIP', click 'return trip' at the bottom of the instructions, enter the date and time and click 'FIND TRIPS'

You can always ask the bus driver for assistance (where to get off, is this the right bus?, etc).

I hope you plan to buy DAY PASSES for this trip It would be the most efficient way to travel.

Have fun!

Edited: 3:08 am, May 13, 2013
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to Santa Monica

Generally, I suggest taking bus 217 or 780 from Hollywood Blvd. and Highand Ave. The bus starts heading west on Hollywood Blvd., then turns south onto Fairfax Ave. If you exit this bus at Fairfax Ave. and Santa Monica Blvd., you can then take bus 704 from there to Santa Monica. This saves the walk all the way from Hollywood Blvd. to Santa Monica Blvd. on Highland Ave.

Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to Santa Monica

Just wanted to say we were browsing tripadvisor having just booked out 1st time trip to USA and have 5 days in L.A. in August We found this information so helpful and have taken it all on board so thanks very much.

we love the challenges of public transport so look forward to it. wouldn't attempt to drive on the "wrong" side of the road!! Sounds like a very well organised system.

Judy O

Christchurch, New Zealand.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,196 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to Santa Monica

Thanks, Judy. Have a great holiday.

5. Re: Bus to Santa Monica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 16, 2014
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question