We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rethinking our trip

nj
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
rethinking our trip

My 18 yr old daughter and I have a trip booked for the last week of June....already have flights and hotels booked. We're staying at Loews Hollywood for 3 nites and then Loews Santa Monica for 4 nights. I'm having second thoughts now on staying right in Hollywood and I'm thinking of staying in west Hollywood for those 3 nights instead. I checked Hilton Universal but its booked for the days we need. What other hotels would you suggest? We plan on doing the universal vip tour and city walk one day but other than that...nothing else definite. Maybe look into a comedy show one night and spend a few hours one day doing the usual Hollywood things. While we're in Santa Monica we plan on just spending time on the beach and possibly driving and checking out some other areas. We'll have a car for the entire trip. We'll be in SM for 4th of July....any events going on in the area for the 4th. Thanks for any suggestions.

A Day in LA Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours
We Love LA Tour
Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Bikes And Hikes LA
Gear Rentals, City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours
LA Insider Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Movie & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,931 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rethinking our trip

FYI, the distance between the Loews and the center of the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood (Sunset Bl & La Cienega Bl) is 2.5 miles. Here's a map: http://mapq.st/ZMd7pB

Why do you have second thoughts? I live in West Hollywood and I visit both Hollywood and West Hollywood on a regular basis. Are you concerned that Hollywood isn't safe? (We hear that on the Forum from time to time). If that's your concern, you have nothing to worry about. Central Hollywood is like a miniature Times Square. Lots of people (and cars) milling around until wee hours of the morning. The Loews in Hollywood is a highly-rated 4-star hotel.

There's no question that the Sunset Strip is prettier: the area has been torn down and rebuilt a number of times whereas Hollywood is an old part of L.A. (most buildings are drab office buildings from the 1920s and 30s).

Both neighborhoods are 'nightlife areas' but Hollywood is more of a 'real neighborhood' with a supermarket, movie theaters, a bowling alley, a shopping mall, etc.(in addition to bars, dance clubs and restaurants) The Sunset Strip is largely high-end hotels, bars, live music venues and 'better' restaurants.

Tell us what's given you second thoughts.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rethinking our trip

Note that the Universal Hilton is next to Universal Studios in Universal City - this area is not West Hollywood, its different and I wouldn't really suggest staying here - its right next to Universal Studios and to Universal

Citywalk (a big outdoor touristy entertainment/dining complex) but its up on a hill with Universal Studios and it feels isolated. In West Hollywood, the hotels to look at for probably similar money to the Loew's Hollywood would be The London, Andaz, Sunset Tower, Mondrian, Chateau Marmont. In Beverly Grove which is south of West Hollywood, you might look at SLS or Sofitel.

nj
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: rethinking our trip

Thank you for the replies. The reason I'm rethinking the area is only because i think i'd like something a little "less city". And since I have a car we can travel to what we want to see in Hollywood. I looked at Universal Hilton when I first starting thinking about this trip, mainly because it was close to universal studios, but I wound up booking Loews instead. I will definitely look at the west hollywood hotels suggested.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,246 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rethinking our trip

Stay put at your hotel or in the area on foot on the fourth. Everyone in the city comes to the beach on the fourth, you'll be so happy you have a hotel there. When staying in Santa Monica, you'll find you do most things on foot, or bike, you can walk to all the restaurants, cafes, shops, etc from Loews by going to Main St, to the Promenade and SM Place Mall and Pier. Don't miss Montana Ave (you'll want your car), visit Abbot Kinney and the Venice Canals, take a drive to Malibu and have lunch at the Country Mart.

nj
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rethinking our trip

Thank you yogachik....I will definitely look into your suggestions.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,931 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rethinking our trip

If you're a bit of a gambler, look at hotwire.com for a hotel for the West Hollywood area. If you see one that's marked:

4-1/2-star hotel in the Beverly Hills- West Hollywood area

take it. (I just looked and it's there for $253 per night) It will be one of the following -- all of which will give you less of a 'city feel':

1. The Sofitel which, while across the street from the massive Beverly Center Mall, is not in a touristy area so there's traffic (people + cars) but not hoards of people taking photos, buying souvenir t-shirts, etc. The area to the north of the hotel is residential.

2. The London which is just off the Sunset Strip (West Hollywood). The area immediately around the hotel is residential but it's a short walk to restaurants, etc.

3. L'Ermitage -- in Beverly Hills. On Burton Way (which is a busy street) but located on the edge of the downtown area of BH.

L'Ermitage is less than a mile from the Sofitel which is about mile from the London so they're all pretty close together. You'll save a bundle using Hotwire so use the savings for taxis (when you're tired of driving) or for a really nice meal.

Good luck!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rethinking our trip

It's all a matter of opinion, but I don't consider West Hollywood or the Beverly area any "less city" than Hollywood. There are more single family homes but the traffic is terrible and the are is very congested.

nj
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: rethinking our trip

I finally made a decision....I switched our reservation to the Mondrian. Thank you everyone for the advise.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,931 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rethinking our trip

Do let us know how you liked the Sunset Strip since so many posters ask questions about 'where to stay'.

10. Re: rethinking our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, May 12, 2013