We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a visit in december

Australia
Level Contributor
2,622 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
a visit in december

Is first or second week of december a good time to visit LA?

Australia
Level Contributor
2,622 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: a visit in december

thank you all for that.

Just so i can get a grasp of things, LA is not as walkable city as NYC is it? Is it comparable to downtown San Francisco? I'm a walker, like to explore things and places. I've been to other parts of USA where its literally not walkable in that you have to walk several blocks from one place to another before you see retail stores.

The hotels i was looking at in NYC was close to time square. I want to be in a place full of people even past midnight. Makes it less nervous to be returning back to the hotel in that hour. I've been to NYC a few years back and felt safe where its full of people and when subways are not quiet.

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: a visit in december

, LA is not a walkable city, nothing like San Francisco. Have a good trip and look into renting a a car, it takes a long time to get around via buses, LA is very spread out. You'll see this when your plane starts to land.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,104 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: a visit in december

Walking is against the law in Los Angeles..... it is pretty much mandatory that you drive every place no matter how short the distance and then the rules pretty much insist you don't get out of the car so LA has drive through restaurants, drive through banks (well just ATMs these days), drive through dry cleaners, pharmacies, libraries, church and so on.... you name, you can probably do it from your car in So Cal.

Okay, so that might be a slight exaggeration, but not much.

So Cal is also a naturally arid environment, so the "rainy" month of December averages less than 2 1/2 inches, which seems like a flood compared to the 0.01 of an inch of rain in July. LA isn't Manilla (which gets 15 inches in their rainy season), our problem is too little rain, not too much.

If you won't have a car, Hollywood & Downtown LA are the best neighborhoods without a car because of the subway system and then maybe the area around the Beverly Center, just south of West Hollywood, because there are good bus lines around that area.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,622 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: a visit in december

lol. No driving is not an option, we drive on the opposite side of the road here in Sydney so not fit to drive in USA. So public transport is my only option.

Is there a thread on TA that talks about which subway stops I can see what?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: a visit in december

No, but the LA Metro website has one.

www.metro.net/riding/destination-guides/

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,698 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: a visit in december

Thousands upon thousands of visitors from countries that drive on the left manage to drive over here when they visit. And vice versa. Hey, my parents managed it when we went to your country, and we made the switch again when we came back.

You might decide you'd rather not do it. But I woudn't automatically dismiss the idea, especially as the Greater LA area is complicated to visit without a car.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: a visit in december

LA has many walkable neighborhoods, but the city is so spread out the issue becomes walking between those neighborhoods - the distances are too great. So you can do some walking but for the most part, without your own car, plan on public transit.

As for what to see on the subway, first, understand that our subway (and light rail train system) covers only a relatively small part of the city. Most of our public transit is bus-based. That said here's a list of the places that come to mind near some of the stations...

Red Line Subway: Universal City Station (Universal Studios), Hollywood / Highland Station (Walk of Fame, Hollywood Sign, Chinese Theater, Kodak Theater, Madam Toussad's wax museum), Hollywood / Vine station (Capital Records Building, Walk of Fame, Hollywood Sign), Westlake / MacArthur Park (Langer's Deli), 7th St. Metro Center or Pershing Square stations (Central Library, Angels Flight, Bunker Hill Steps), Civic Center Station (Disney Concert Hall), Union Station (Olvera St., China Town)

Gold Line light rail: Memorial Park station (Old Town Pasadena area), China Town station (China Town, Philippe's The Original), Little Tokyo Station (Little Tokyo)

Expo Line light rail: Exposition Park / USC Station (LA County Museum of Natural History, Rose Garden, California Science Center (home of space shuttle Endeavor).

Australia
Level Contributor
2,622 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: a visit in december

Thank you Darkbeer and MachThree, thats very useful.

Jenazz, i hang on to my dear life when my aunt drives in your freeways in sacramento -lol. Traffic seems to be so fast! I have heard its faster in LA! I don't think i'm game to do it.

Edited: 8:39 am, May 02, 2013
So Cal
Level Contributor
9,698 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: a visit in december

Well...I think it depends on which freeway and time of day. ;-) And surface streets, of course, are much, much slower, But if you're that uncomfortable, then perhaps not the time to try it.

20. Re: a visit in december

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 04, 2014