We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA: July 18th-22nd - don't want my husband to be...

Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
LA: July 18th-22nd - don't want my husband to be...

We're planning a trip to LA during late July. We're a young, southern couple (25/26) but not into clubbing or drinking but still want to have a great time in LA (I'm not saying thats all there is to do in LA!). We are into the beach, shopping, sports, site seeing, and love good Mexican & Asian food!

I know we want to go to Malibu to the beach/eat/visit surrounding towns, maybe Catalina Island, Beverly Hills/Rodeo, Santa Monica and possible see a live taping of a show.

Could you all suggest some cool restaurants/attractions/events/locations that aren't overly touristy, but where tourist can still have a good time? Or maybe special events that will be happening during that time? We're staying downtown (which was due to $$$ not personal choice), but will have a car.

I just want to plan a trip my husband will enjoy!

Los Angeles
13 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: LA: July 18th-22nd - don't want my husband to be...

Hi There,

Too tell you the truth it will be quite a task to do all three in the same day. What you can do is go to Santa Ynez/ Solvang go to a winery and follow that up with dinner in Santa Barbara. When you are in Solvang Santa Ynez is a few (5-10) minutes away. (You have to go through Solvang in order to go to SY) I would recommend Bridelwood winery. My wife and I go there 2-3 times a year. It is a beautiful property, you will see the vineyards as you drive in. The building look like a spanish hacienda. When you are there make sure to go outside (in the back) walk around there they have a very nice lake where you can have a picnic and they also have a few horses around there. Its one of the nicest that I have seen. They have a website make sure to check it out. When you are on your way there you will see a ton of wineries so you might want to check out another just for the fun of it!

As far as Malibu is concerned you can visit it when ever you go to the beach its not too far from Santa Monica or Venice Beach. There is not too much to see Most of the beach in and around Malibu is not visible due to the beach side properties. Althought the beach is public there is few public entrances. Aside from that there is a few streets with a resturant and cafe here and there but thats about it.

If you have the time or the interest you can go to Catalina Island. It is a very nice small Island. You can catch a ferrie from Long Beach. LB is about 20 minutes by freeway from Downtown. There are 2 different type of ferries one takes about 45 minutes another takes appro 1.2 hours. Also there is alot too see in Long Beach plenty of stores and restaurans. Also there is the Queen Mary Boat. It once was the largest Passanger boat in the world. It also served in the war taking soldiers to the war front (it was converted fro the purpose in the time of war. There is a website for this boat, just type Queen Mary boat Im sure alot of things will pop out on it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Level Contributor
175 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: LA: July 18th-22nd - don't want my husband to be...

There is a wonderful Japanese restaurant in Malibu. It's called Nobu. Just about the best Japanese food we have had in California. It is very modern and sleek. It is located in a shopping center, but don't let that put you off. It is jammed with music and movie industry types almost every night.

Reservations are a must. The food is great, the servers and friendly and you would get a definite feel for the LA ambience.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: LA: July 18th-22nd - don't want my husband to be...

See the movie Sideways and then do the tour

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question
24. Re: LA: July 18th-22nd - don't want my husband to be...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 15, 2009