We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexican restaurant in downtown suitable for teens

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
202 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Mexican restaurant in downtown suitable for teens

Hi looking for ideas for a Mexican restaurant in downtown that would suit a family with teens. Thanks.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexican restaurant in downtown suitable for teens

I know from your other post you're staying at the Omni - how close do you want to go? Nearby next to one of the big silver California Plaza towers is CASA which would fit the bill. Otherwise, I'd head to either one of the restaurants at Olvera St. near Union Station, take a taxi down to the LA Live area and eat at El Cholo (classic "LA institution" type Mexican restaurant with a big reputation, but I find the food there to be mainly standard Americanized-Mexican food, nothing too exciting to me but decent enough). If you can venture further, East LA will have a better selection of more authentic places.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexican restaurant in downtown suitable for teens

There is Border Grill and La Salsa across Figueroa from the Bonaventure at the Union Bank Plaza (street level, but you can take the pedway). Also in the same location a few spots over is a La Salsa, counter service with a limited menu, but reasonably priced.

The downtown Border Grill has quite a few specials going on in the early evenings including $3 Tacos (M-F 4-7 and Sunday 7-closing). As well as some drink specials for the adults. It is a teen-friendly location, no worries.

www.bordergrill.com/bg_dtla/bg_dtlawel.htm

I actually think Casa is closed by the way.

I would not bother with the suggestion for El Cholo or going to East LA, personally. You can get the same local flavor by going down the Angels Flight tram to Broadway. There will be some counter service places inside the Grand Central Market that do Mexican and other Central American foods.

If you do make it to Olvera Street, there are a few place to try, although they tend to be overpriced due to the touristy location. La Luz del Dia makes their own tortillas. I like La Golondrina Cafe. Avoid the one across the walk (El Paseo).

scotland
Level Contributor
202 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexican restaurant in downtown suitable for teens

Thanks. I've taken a note of these names and addresses. The menus look good. We will wait and see how tired we are and how far we feel like going.

4. Re: Mexican restaurant in downtown suitable for teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 12, 2014