We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One or two days at Universal Studios in August?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
One or two days at Universal Studios in August?

We are staying in Hollywood for 3 days in August.

We have two teenage daughters who are keen to visit Universal Studios. We don't have a car but will travel there by subway, which is only one stop from where we are staying.

We can go to Universal on either Sunday 11th August or Monday 12th August or do a morning at both.

I was thinking, as it will be so hot in August, that we might as well get a two day pass which isn't much more expensive, and go early on Sunday morning, stay til lunchtime and then go again early Monday morning.

Do you think this is a good idea or should we just do one long day, possibly getting a front of line pass?

We would also like to do Grffith Observatory but am not sure if we could do this one afternoon after doing Universal?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,420 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One or two days at Universal Studios in August?

It would probably be cheaper to go one day and use front of line passes if it gets crowded. Get there early, having reviewed a map so you know where your favorite rides are - do them first. I also recommend you not have lunch in the park; mediocre food that takes a long time to purchase/eat. Bring granola bars and eat an early dinner at Universal City Walk instead.

Griffith Observatory is best seen around sunset. It is closed on Mondays!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One or two days at Universal Studios in August?

OK, the Griffith Observatory is only accessible using public transit on weekends.

I would do Universal Studios in one full day using the Front of the Line Pass option. But the two day option is another choice, but you would get more done in the single full day with the FotL pass.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One or two days at Universal Studios in August?

Griffith Observatory best done late afternoon staying for sunset and then into the evening, so it can be done after Universal. Note the observatory is closed both Mondays and Tuesdays.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One or two days at Universal Studios in August?

Once again, to get to the Griffith Observatory using public transit, you are limited to visiting on Saturday or Sunday.

http://www.griffithobs.org/vshuttle.html

ladottransit.com/other/observatoryshuttle/ob…

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One or two days at Universal Studios in August?

They've got a car, they don't need to go on public transit unless they want to.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One or two days at Universal Studios in August?

From the OP... "We don't have a car"

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,056 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One or two days at Universal Studios in August?

If it were me, I'd go on successive mornings. The Park can get blazing hot in the afternoons in August. By 1 pm, you're going to start to feel it whether you have front of the line passes or not (since you'll still have to walk from one attraction to the next and there will be SOME waiting at each attraction). The shows are outside so you'll definitely feel the heat when you're watching those.

Presently. Universal is offering an annual pass for the price of a 1-day ticket. So, that means you pay $80 and you can visit on both days (in fact, on as many days as you wish except some of the days of the year are 'blacked out' -- not included with this discounted pass program. (Your visit won't be 'blacked out').

So, if you buy this pass, you can visit the park on the first of your 2 days and see how you feel. If you want to keep going, then stay the entire day; if not, head back to a cooler neighborhood and return the next day, Compared to a front of the line pass, it would be a savings of approximately $200 for the three of you. With that kind of savings, you could take a taxi between Universal and your hotel (about $12 each way including tip). This would save you the hassle of waiting for and riding the free tram 'up the hill' (and back down again) to the Park -- and while you wait for this tram (which runs only once every 15 or 20 minutes) you're standing outside in the heat.

Also, it seems reasonable that the crowds will be less in the early hours of the day since some people will not arrive at Universal until later in the day.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One or two days at Universal Studios in August?

Just to clarify, Universal Studios is current offering a Season Pass that expires at the end of the Year (December 24th, as the rest of the year are blockout dates), they also offer Annual Passes which are good for a 12 month period starting with the actual date of activation (first use). Of course, they do cost more, but to the OP doesn't seem like it will make a difference. (aka either do the FotL pass which you would buy after entering the park using a discount offer, or opt for the full priced Season Pass, so long as the second day is not blocked out).

universalstudioshollywood.com/tickets/…

And discount offers...

mousesavers.com/discounts-and-deals-at-other…

As for the heat issue, Universal Studios has most of the queue under shade and use misters, or have them indoors with air conditioning. Shows like the Special Effects Stage and Shrek 4-D are indoors and air conditioned. IMHO, it is easy to beat the heat for the most part.

Just stock up on bottled water, or buy a refillable Soda Cup.

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One or two days at Universal Studios in August?

Thanks for all your replies.

I didn't know about the Buy a Day, Get 2013 Free offer, that means we could buy this value pass and use it first on Sunday 11th August, even though that is a black out day as we are allowed black out days on first use, and we can then use it on Monday 12th as well!

It only costs $80.99 each, as opposed to $129-$149 each for a front of line pass for one day, and is even cheaper than the cost of a two day ticket which I was looking at before ($89)

It is a bit of a no-brainer so I think we will have to go for doing two mornings as the money we will save can be put to better use - I do like the idea of a taxi!

Thank you so much everyone for such helpful advice!

And we will do Griffith Observatory either Saturday or Sunday and try to watch that sunset!!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,056 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One or two days at Universal Studios in August?

Why would the OP pay for a full-price annual pass for $169 when a restricted pass (which won't impede the OP's visit) would cost only $80? And, if I were going to pay over $200 extra for a front of the line pass, I wouldn't want to risk having to use it on a scorchingly hot day: Even though most of the queues are protected from direct sunlight and there are misters spraying water vapor on you, the temperate of the air can still be quite high (AVERAGE high temps in August at Universal City: 88F/31C). That's the AVERAGE high -- it can be higher!

I'd rather be on my way back to Hollywood before the daily high hits in a cool, air conditioned taxi.