We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to walk to Little Tokyo from Omni LA Hotel at nig

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to walk to Little Tokyo from Omni LA Hotel at nig

Hello,

I'm considering staying at Omni LA Hotel during my husband's surgery at USC Kech hospital for 2 nights. I'd like to know if it is walking distance from the this hotel to Little Tokyo, how far and is it safe to walk at night? Also, if we are to take a cab from Little Tokyo to Omni hotel, how much will it cost?

Thank you very much! Your input will help me decide which hotel to stay. The Omni provides free shuttle to USC hospital.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to walk to Little Tokyo from Omni LA Hotel at nig

I think the Omni also provides a town car service for up to 3 miles with advanced notice once you check in. I don't know if you need to check in with the concierge, but if they are already providing service to USC I'm sure they would go to Little Tokyo at night and pick up with advanced notice. give them a nice tip because that's actually about a 10 to 12 dollar ride to USC.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to walk to Little Tokyo from Omni LA Hotel at nig

A cab ride would be better (the walk between Omni and Little Tokyo would skirt some not-so-nice areas) and since its maybe a mile or so at most, its going to be maybe $10 with tip.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,901 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to walk to Little Tokyo from Omni LA Hotel at nig

Here's a walking map from the Omni to Little Tokyo (note: the "New Otani Hotel on the map in Little Tokyo is now a Hilton Doubletree"). As you can see, the walk is simple and takes about 15 minutes. Note: the route is downsloped from the hotel to Little Tokyo (and, therefore, upsloped for the return) so it might take a little longer walking back.

The area is pretty deserted after dark, isn't dangerous but, I would take a taxi, especially for the return. The driving route TO Little Tokyo is a little bit longer since 2nd street is one way (so it only accepts traffic going TOWARD the hotel). In either direction, it's less than a mile's drive so at the present taxi rates, the cost of the fare including tip will be under $8 and the ride will only take 2 minutes.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to walk to Little Tokyo from Omni LA Hotel at nig

Yes, it is very safe. Yes, I would walk to Little Tokyo from the Omni. I know the area very well and have walked it a lot over the years.

Essentially, you have two routes. First Street has a lot of majestic government buildings which are architecturally significant -- City Hall, Caltrans Building, LAPD HQ. I particularly like the LAPD building at dusk with City Hall at your back. There's also a very moving outdoor memorial for fallen officers. The observation deck on the 28th floor at City Hall is well worth checking out.

You could also take Second Street, which is less majestic. Little Tokyo is a compact district on First and Second. Second has some interesting retail. There's also a nice little shopping area which, I'm hestitant to call a mall between 1st and 2nd.

There are lots of restaurants here and not all of them are Asian. Little Tokyo is actually quite lively in the evening. The Japanese-American Museum is a beautiful space. (Nifty tea room!) MOCA has a branch adjacent to the JAM.

Yes, take a cab back due to the incline of the hill back to the hotel.

Grand Avenue is a very walkable area with the California Plaza, MOCA, the Colbourne School, Disney Hall and the Music Center. The Grand Park was recently redone. Although, I think the results aren't as fantastic as the press releases suggest, the park is greatly improved. There is a Starbucks conveniently located here just south of the water fountain. This area is very pleasant to walk around, particularly in the evening because the buildings are so beautiful. If you can, attend a concert at Disney Hall or Zipper Hall at the Colbourne. The latter can be incredibly cheap, if you care for chamber music. There's also a nice cafeteria at the Colbourne. Although, you'll find plenty to eat at the California Plaza. Be sure to check out the roof of Disney Hall.

You should consider heading over to the Cathedral. It is just a block and a half along Grand at Temple. The public plaza is lovely with fountains and various art works. Mass may be helpful during your short stay.

The not-so-nice areas which Mach refers to are along Third Street. Past Main to the south is the Toy District. This is a very gritty and chaotic retail and wholesale district which is bustling with shoppers during the daytime. Further south towards Fifth is Skid Row, which you want to avoid. Fortunately, this is easy.

I pray your husband's surgery goes well. Best wishes on your visit to the City of Angels.

HTH

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to walk to Little Tokyo from Omni LA Hotel at nig

Hello TravellingChumley,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the hotel has free transport to the hospital and within 3 mile radius. My concern is they only have one car for all their guests and don't take advance reservation. Thus, I'm curious if we can walk or how much by taxi to explore Little Tokyo for dinner, in case their car is not available or would take a long wait for pick up.

Good Day.

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to walk to Little Tokyo from Omni LA Hotel at nig

Dear MachThree,

I appreciate your info, and will heed your advice to take the taxi if the free pick-up from Omni is not available. Even tho' the distance is walkable, we do not want to take chances esp. at night.

I'm also looking at Miyako Hotel which is located right at Little Tokyo, but they do not provide free transport to USC Kech Hospital.

Regards.

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to walk to Little Tokyo from Omni LA Hotel at nig

Hi HopSkipJump,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. You provided very helpful information and advice as to the surroundings and taxi rates. I cannot find the link for the map, do you mind re-sending it, please. It's good to know the uphill/downhill from hotel to Little Tokyo. Definitely good advice to take the taxi back to hotel.

Take care

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to walk to Little Tokyo from Omni LA Hotel at nig

Dear HTH,

Thank you very much for your long, comprehensive information. I do appreciate your detailed descriptions of what I'll see if we take one street over the other to go to Little Tokyo, suggestions as what to see/do in downtown LA; eating place, shopping and which areas to avoid.. they are all.very helpful.

You are awesome, kind and caring person and grateful for your prayers for my husband's surgery.

God Bless and Best Wishes to you as well.

Lena

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to walk to Little Tokyo from Omni LA Hotel at nig

I would consider walking down First Street but definitely not Second at night.

There are places to eat near your hotel but not all stay open late. Check inside the Wells Fargo center across the street also. Nick & Stef's has a popular happy hour bar menu.

Edited: 9:57 pm, March 19, 2013
california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to walk to Little Tokyo from Omni LA Hotel at nig

Dear MigB,

Thank you for your input. You gave me more choices to eat close to Omni Hotel and would in deciding whether to stay at Omni or at Miyako hotel.

Warm regards.