We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack!

uk
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
What to pack!

It's my first time to the US from the UK and flying to San Fran a week on the 28th of march, staying for 4 nights then to Vegas for 3 nights and then to LA for 7 nights staying in Santa Monica! My husband and i are wanting to do all the tourist things as well as a few nights out and some nice meals. The weather seems quite mixed. What sorts of things do people wear on a evening and will the weather be hot enough to go to the different beaches? What is the weather normally like in April?

Silly questions I know!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,329 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack!

Just a comment on your itinerary....

I would fly to SF, as scheduled. From here drive down the beautiful California coast along Highway 1. Stop for a night in Cambria.

Do the LA portion next then dump the car in LA, fly to Vegas, fly back, and then home via LAX

Another popular thing is to drive to Las Vegas and back....about 4-5 hours each way.

Weather at that time can range from 70's to 50's along the coast or in SF. Best thing is to dress in layers.

Unless you are going to some fancy restaurants or shows there is no need for really awesome clothes. For the most part, CA is pretty casual. You will see folks in restaurants wearing work out clothes, shorts, t-shirts, and.... my unfavorite of all......pajamas.

Dr. Z

Mentioned in this post
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,495 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack!

Bring layers: light sweaters/jumpers, light jackets, sweatshirts, etc. You can certainly walk along the boardwalk (what we call the strand) at some of the beaches but it will be too cold to swim and might be a little cool for sunbathing (maybe not). Shorts are a staple of many people in L.A. -- year round. So, bring a pair, you're likely to be able to wear them during your visit. However, as the sun sets, the weather gets cooler, so have your jeans close by.

Also, bring sunglasses, sunscreen and head covering (caps, hats). Even though it can be breezy, our sun is still HOT!

Edited: 5:33 pm, March 18, 2013
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack!

Agree, bring layers. Bring something nice if you want to eat out at someplace particularly fancy - LA is relatively casual however - the most you really need for most restaurants would be "business casual" - i.e. dockers and long sleeve button up shirt. In April weather will be moderate - upper 60's / low 70's in LA for the most part - hotter / colder is possible, cooler at night of course. Rain is possible at that time.

uk
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack!

Thanks will it be a lot warmer in Vegas?

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack!

Who really knows, but on average, Las Vegas will be warmer during the day, and colder at night. (And it can get below freezing on some nights).

Close to the Ocean, you have much less of a temperature change, as the water keeps the basic temperature "mild" in change, the closer inland you get, the more variety you will find.

Las Vegas gets Flash Floods, and even snow on occasion (rare in the city, but can show up in the surrounding areas).

A good website to check out is www.weather.com.

As mentioned above, layers is a big key, most Hotels will offer a Heated Pool and maybe a Hot Tub, so back a swimsuit.

One of my favorite items this time of year is a nylon Windbreaker with a removable hood. Great if it rains, and a decent thickness if it gets cold, plus blocks much of the wind.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,246 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack!

Do you already have your lodging reservation in those cities? Will you fly from SF to Vegas, and then on to LA? Or did you have plans to drive any of it?

I find they tend to dress up a bit more in SF at the fine dining restaurants downtown, a little less so in LA as the city is so spread out. Generally all CA is casual.

Daytime in SoCal, especially near the beach cities is shorts/capris, T-shirts (long sleeve if cold) or sweatshirt/sweater even this time of year. You can buy a sweatshirt of some place you are visiting, don't bring one from home. Around the beach we wear sandals and flip flops year around.

In the evenings, dressy jeans/slacks and a jacket or pull over sweater is fine.

Oh, and pack your portable umbrella. I find when I do, I usually luck out. When I forget it, it rains!

Mentioned in this post
uk
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack!

Flying from san fran to vegas then flying onto LA. Staying at Sheraton Delfina in Santa Monica Flamingo in Vegas and Radisson Fisherman's Wharf in san fran.

Is it not really laying on the beach weather in Santa Monica then?

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,246 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack!

No, not really laying on the beach weather. People are walking on the boardwalk to Venice Beach, riding bikes on the 22 mile bike path along the ocean, some even sitting in beach chairs on the sand, but it's not bikini weather.

You would have to go to the Palm Springs desert area for warm temps, and hanging out by the pools, for hot weather. That's 2 hours east of LA. But we could get a warm spell, just no way to know this far ahead.

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to pack!

Note that SF will be chillier than LA as it's farther north. I love Fisherman's Wharf but when the fog rolls in it gets pretty darn chilly. My office is very near Santa Monica and the past few days we've had a heavy marine layer, especially in the morning, and it's been chilly. The temperature goes down with the sun in all of these areas, so bear that in mind The day might be warm and sunny, but after dark you're likely to need a jacket. Santa Monica, because it's on the coast, will be cooler than the more inland areas of LA. We have had some record breaking warm days so far this year (near 90 F in the inland areas of the city) but it's impossible to predict those and you certainly shouldn't count on it Check our local weather:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/weather/

wunderground.com/cgi-bin/…

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
10. Re: What to pack!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 21, 2014