We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in North Alvarado Street

Cleveland
2 posts
Save Topic
Stay in North Alvarado Street

I am visiting LA for a convention this weekend and booked a room on Hollywood Inn south in North alvarado street. I am told this is a dangerous and tough neighbourhood and people get mugged INSIDE the hotel. Is this safe to stay in or should I get an expensive room somewhere else? LAX airport neighbourhood? would appreciate an early response as I have to leave on sunday and need to cancel the room by tonight. thanks

Los Angeles, CA USA
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in North Alvarado Street

Based on the reviews of this hotel here on TripAdvisor, I think I would cancel. If your convention is downtown, I'd try to book something else downtown. I wouldn't stay out near the airport.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,002 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in North Alvarado Street

Change your hotel!

Pick a hotel near the convention center, maybe the Figueroa. If you have time to sightsee, perhaps choose a hotel like Orchid Suites or Renaissance.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,742 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in North Alvarado Street

I live downtown. My family and I are in and out of that area all the time. The area is a heavily Latino immigrant community. While I think your concerns about getting mugged are way overblown, it is not the kind of neighborhood I would wander about in the late evening hours. I definitely wouldn't recommend the area for a visitor to the convention center. You'd definitely find yourself a fish out of water and not feel very comfortable.

No, you don't want to stay at an LAX adjacent hotel. It is very far from the downtown. There are numerous hotels in the downtown area which should be convenient to the convention center.

If you can't get a room in downtown proper, consider mid-Wilshire or Hollywood. Just make sure they are convenient to the Red Line (like a block or two away). You can take the Red Line to 7th & Metro and walk down. Or take the Blue Line one stop south to Pico. If you can't stay downtown, I'd recommend Hollywood. You'll find more to see and do in the evening.

HTH.

4. Re: Stay in North Alvarado Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, August 13, 2009