We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from la to sansfrancisco

delhi
Level Contributor
240 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
drive from la to sansfrancisco

well we are a honeymoon couple, planning for self drive from la to sansfransico, I wud like to know is the drive too hectic for a couple on honeymoon.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,997 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive from la to sansfrancisco

Are you asking if the driving is fast-paced and crowded? If so, the answer is no, not if you drive scenic Hwy. 1 along the coast.

If you're worried about the pace, you could spend 2-3 nights in each place you stop along the coast, rather than just one night. We usually recommend stopping in Santa Barbara, Cambria and Monterey/Carmel. In this way, you would have at least one day in each destination where you could just relax.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,077 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive from la to sansfrancisco

I recommend you go up one level to the California forum. There are lots of posts about this drive, what to see and do, and how many days it's likely to take you.

If you have specific questions about a city, you can ask your question on that forum.

I think that if you devote enough time to the drive, it can be wonderful. There are great beach towns to see between LA and San Francisco and it would be best if you didn't hurry the trip but enjoyed some of these towns along the way. Monterey, Carmel, San Simeon, Solvang, Santa Barbara, and Santa Monica are really nice places to visit.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive from la to sansfrancisco

I think it's a fantastic drive for honeymooners! A friend of mine took his then girlfriend on this trip with the intention of proposing to her in San Francisco, but he was so inspired by the drive he ended up proposing on the side of the road halfway up the coast.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive from la to sansfrancisco

What time of year are you planning this trip?

The exceptionally scenic Route 1 through Big Sur can have traffic delays or road closures due to winter storm damage.

This drive (of about 400 miles) is only hectic when one tries to take it too quickly. I make this trip (actually I continue down to San Diego) about once a year but I take Highway 101. I've decided doing it in one day is no longer to my taste and even breaking it up to two 4+ hour days is a tiring couple of days.

Take it easy and enjoy.

5. Re: drive from la to sansfrancisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 06, 2014